Public Internet?

Monster Tank
Hi my name is Henry Cheung and i am a Boston College Student. I am a part of http://www.immersiveeducation.org/ and i have a question about Croquet.
I am attending an online class at Boston College and my fellow peers and I was wondering if Croquet is compatible with the "public internet" and if it is then is there any way to connect via the public internet and not a LAN or a WAN.
Thanks for your time in answering our question and I hope to hear from you soon.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Public Internet?

Howard Stearns-3
Hi Henry,

Welcome.

Technical answer: Yes, Croquet is compatible with the public
Internet. Specifically, it works over ordinary TCP Sockets.

Social answer: There is not a Croquet "application" that connects you
with all other such Croquet "applications", such that you might use
it in the same way as Second Life, for example. Instead, there is
open source code on which various groups have developed their own
applications.  One such group is the Croquet Collaborative, which put
out a prototype application called the KAT demo last January.  You
can use it -- AS A PROTOTYPE -- to run your own network of Croquet
participants. In addition, the Collaborative leaves a KAT connection
point going with public access.
     http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Croquet_Collaborative
     http://www.wetmachine.com/itf/category/27
     http://www.wetmachine.com/category/28

Technical aside:
   1. Other demos in the Croquet Software Developers Kit (SDK)
illustrate other things about Croquet. Some of them automatically
find other Croquet demos that are running on the same LAN. But it
would be wrong to misconstrue this to mean that Croquet in general is
limited to LAN-only.
   2. There is a lot of tuning that is appropriate for a given
application to be practical over the public Internet. Most of the SDK
demos do not have such tuning. The KAT has only the start of some
such work.  Qwaq Forums is a commercial application using Croquet
that is so tuned, and is used regularly over the public Internet.

Disclosure: I work at Qwaq, and am a founder of the non-profit
Croquet Collaborative.

-Howard

On Nov 4, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Monster Tank wrote:

> Hi my name is Henry Cheung and i am a Boston College Student. I am
> a part of http://www.immersiveeducation.org/ and i have a question
> about Croquet.
> I am attending an online class at Boston College and my fellow
> peers and I was wondering if Croquet is compatible with the "public
> internet" and if it is then is there any way to connect via the
> public internet and not a LAN or a WAN.
> Thanks for your time in answering our question and I hope to hear
> from you soon.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Public Internet?

michel-27
Hi,

Does someone know where to find lots of (free or cheap) 3D models on the
net for trees, plants, houses, etc etc ... ?

Thanks,
-michel

Howard Stearns a écrit :

> Hi Henry,
>
> Welcome.
>
> Technical answer: Yes, Croquet is compatible with the public Internet.
> Specifically, it works over ordinary TCP Sockets.
>
> Social answer: There is not a Croquet "application" that connects you
> with all other such Croquet "applications", such that you might use it
> in the same way as Second Life, for example. Instead, there is open
> source code on which various groups have developed their own
> applications.  One such group is the Croquet Collaborative, which put
> out a prototype application called the KAT demo last January.  You can
> use it -- AS A PROTOTYPE -- to run your own network of Croquet
> participants. In addition, the Collaborative leaves a KAT connection
> point going with public access.
>     http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Croquet_Collaborative
>     http://www.wetmachine.com/itf/category/27
>     http://www.wetmachine.com/category/28
>
> Technical aside:
>   1. Other demos in the Croquet Software Developers Kit (SDK)
> illustrate other things about Croquet. Some of them automatically find
> other Croquet demos that are running on the same LAN. But it would be
> wrong to misconstrue this to mean that Croquet in general is limited
> to LAN-only.
>   2. There is a lot of tuning that is appropriate for a given
> application to be practical over the public Internet. Most of the SDK
> demos do not have such tuning. The KAT has only the start of some such
> work.  Qwaq Forums is a commercial application using Croquet that is
> so tuned, and is used regularly over the public Internet.
>
> Disclosure: I work at Qwaq, and am a founder of the non-profit Croquet
> Collaborative.
>
> -Howard
>
> On Nov 4, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Monster Tank wrote:
>
>> Hi my name is Henry Cheung and i am a Boston College Student. I am a
>> part of http://www.immersiveeducation.org/ and i have a question
>> about Croquet.
>> I am attending an online class at Boston College and my fellow peers
>> and I was wondering if Croquet is compatible with the "public
>> internet" and if it is then is there any way to connect via the
>> public internet and not a LAN or a WAN.
>> Thanks for your time in answering our question and I hope to hear
>> from you soon.

>> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Public Internet?

David A Smith
Check out the Google Warehouse, which you can easily access via the free
Sketchup application.

DAS

michel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does someone know where to find lots of (free or cheap) 3D models on
> the net for trees, plants, houses, etc etc ... ?
>
> Thanks,
> -michel
>
> Howard Stearns a écrit :
>> Hi Henry,
>>
>> Welcome.
>>
>> Technical answer: Yes, Croquet is compatible with the public
>> Internet. Specifically, it works over ordinary TCP Sockets.
>>
>> Social answer: There is not a Croquet "application" that connects you
>> with all other such Croquet "applications", such that you might use
>> it in the same way as Second Life, for example. Instead, there is
>> open source code on which various groups have developed their own
>> applications.  One such group is the Croquet Collaborative, which put
>> out a prototype application called the KAT demo last January.  You
>> can use it -- AS A PROTOTYPE -- to run your own network of Croquet
>> participants. In addition, the Collaborative leaves a KAT connection
>> point going with public access.
>>     http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Croquet_Collaborative
>>     http://www.wetmachine.com/itf/category/27
>>     http://www.wetmachine.com/category/28
>>
>> Technical aside:
>>   1. Other demos in the Croquet Software Developers Kit (SDK)
>> illustrate other things about Croquet. Some of them automatically
>> find other Croquet demos that are running on the same LAN. But it
>> would be wrong to misconstrue this to mean that Croquet in general is
>> limited to LAN-only.
>>   2. There is a lot of tuning that is appropriate for a given
>> application to be practical over the public Internet. Most of the SDK
>> demos do not have such tuning. The KAT has only the start of some
>> such work.  Qwaq Forums is a commercial application using Croquet
>> that is so tuned, and is used regularly over the public Internet.
>>
>> Disclosure: I work at Qwaq, and am a founder of the non-profit
>> Croquet Collaborative.
>>
>> -Howard
>>
>> On Nov 4, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Monster Tank wrote:
>>
>>> Hi my name is Henry Cheung and i am a Boston College Student. I am a
>>> part of http://www.immersiveeducation.org/ and i have a question
>>> about Croquet.
>>> I am attending an online class at Boston College and my fellow peers
>>> and I was wondering if Croquet is compatible with the "public
>>> internet" and if it is then is there any way to connect via the
>>> public internet and not a LAN or a WAN.
>>> Thanks for your time in answering our question and I hope to hear
>>> from you soon.

>>> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
>>> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Public Internet?

Ric Moore
On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 09:41 -0600, Howard Stearns wrote:

> Disclosure: I work at Qwaq, and am a founder of the non-profit
> Croquet Collaborative.

Did you move to North Carolina?? I'll buy you lunch!! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

Re: Public Internet?

michel-27

2 questions/issues on this:
1. Sketchup writes art in a special (kml/kmz) format, that Blender and
other tools do not recognize with a "standard" plugin/script ?
2. I read that art from the Google Warehouse cannot be used in
commercial products ?

What do you think ?

Thanks,
-michel

David A Smith a écrit :

> Check out the Google Warehouse, which you can easily access via the
> free Sketchup application.
>
> DAS
>

> michel wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does someone know where to find lots of (free or cheap) 3D models on
>> the net for trees, plants, houses, etc etc ... ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -michel
>>
>> Howard Stearns a écrit :
>>> Hi Henry,
>>>
>>> Welcome.
>>>
>>> Technical answer: Yes, Croquet is compatible with the public
>>> Internet. Specifically, it works over ordinary TCP Sockets.
>>>
>>> Social answer: There is not a Croquet "application" that connects
>>> you with all other such Croquet "applications", such that you might
>>> use it in the same way as Second Life, for example. Instead, there
>>> is open source code on which various groups have developed their own
>>> applications.  One such group is the Croquet Collaborative, which
>>> put out a prototype application called the KAT demo last January.
>>> You can use it -- AS A PROTOTYPE -- to run your own network of
>>> Croquet participants. In addition, the Collaborative leaves a KAT
>>> connection point going with public access.
>>>     http://opencroquet.org/index.php/Croquet_Collaborative
>>>     http://www.wetmachine.com/itf/category/27
>>>     http://www.wetmachine.com/category/28
>>>
>>> Technical aside:
>>>   1. Other demos in the Croquet Software Developers Kit (SDK)
>>> illustrate other things about Croquet. Some of them automatically
>>> find other Croquet demos that are running on the same LAN. But it
>>> would be wrong to misconstrue this to mean that Croquet in general
>>> is limited to LAN-only.
>>>   2. There is a lot of tuning that is appropriate for a given
>>> application to be practical over the public Internet. Most of the
>>> SDK demos do not have such tuning. The KAT has only the start of
>>> some such work.  Qwaq Forums is a commercial application using
>>> Croquet that is so tuned, and is used regularly over the public
>>> Internet.
>>>
>>> Disclosure: I work at Qwaq, and am a founder of the non-profit
>>> Croquet Collaborative.
>>>
>>> -Howard

Re: Public Internet?

Florent THIERY-2
Hello,

> 2 questions/issues on this:
> 1. Sketchup writes art in a special (kml/kmz) format, that Blender and
> other tools do not recognize with a "standard" plugin/script ?

The kml/kmz format is google's stock one for 3D, used in Google Earth
for instance. There is a preliminary Blender python script that does
allow importing from kml/kmz
(http://jmsoler.free.fr/didacticiel/blender/tutor/py_import_kml-kmz.htm),
but everything is not supported.

If you want to use kml files in blender, you should consider buying
sketchup pro, which handles a lot of formats.

> 2. I read that art from the Google Warehouse cannot be used in
> commercial products ?

There is an Adobe Photoshop 3D warehouse import plugin:
http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Photoshop_CS3_Extended_Plug-In_for_Google_3D_Warehouse
. No idea what kind of deal went on...

Hope it helps a bit

Florent

Re: Public Internet?

michel-27
Hello

Thank you for the info- sure it is very useful.

Concerning the "intellectual property rights" (http://www.google.com/intl/en/sketchup/3dwh/tos.html) of the art people enter into the Google 3DW i cannot find in the text whether we are free or not to use and modify these objects for including them in a commercial web site featuring a virtual world.

Did you, or someone else, study in detail the legal aspects of art reuse from G3DW ?

Thanks again,
-michel

Florent a écrit :
[...]

Bert Freudenberg
Also, the "new" kmz format simply is a renamed zip file containing a
Collada model.

- Bert -