Purpose of Squeak 4.0

Casey Ransberger
It seems as though I've failed to communicate something important here.

Squeak 4.0 exists as an independent release because we needed to keep
3.10.2 frozen long enough to get buy in from the SFC lawyers, which
takes a lot longer than shipping quality software, it would seem.
Meanwhile, development continued in Trunk.

The plan has been, since Trunk opened for business, to deploy the
changes from Trunk into (or "rebase") Squeak 4.0 (thus producing a
Squeak 4.1 artifact which is also license clean.)

The only code changes in 4.0 were motivated by requirements from the
SFC. This was mostly blowing the cruft out of the .sources file, and
adding the license text to the top of it.

Otherwise, Squeak 4.0 is functionally equivalent to Squeak 3.10.2. You
can expect to find the same bugs. Many of these bugs are fixed in
Trunk, so when we rebase Trunk on 4.0, those fixes will go into Squeak
4.1.

I hope this helps to clear up any remaining confusion.

Casey Ransberger

Re: Purpose of Squeak 4.0

Randal L. Schwartz

Casey> I hope this helps to clear up any remaining confusion.

It won't, because people don't read. :)

See http://methodsandmessages.vox.com/ for Smalltalk and Seaside discussion

Re: Purpose of Squeak 4.0

Bert Freudenberg
On 16.03.2010, at 17:10, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Casey> I hope this helps to clear up any remaining confusion.
>
> It won't, because people don't read. :)

We should have added a big red "report bug" button to the release. When pressed, it would pop a notice "Bug reports are futile for this release. Check out Squeak Trunk or wait for 4.1".

- Bert -

Re: Purpose of Squeak 4.0

Ken G. Brown
At 7:10 PM +0100 3/16/10, Bert Freudenberg apparently wrote:

>> Casey> I hope this helps to clear up any remaining confusion.
>>
>> It won't, because people don't read. :)
>
>We should have added a big red "report bug" button to the release. When pressed, it would pop a notice "Bug reports are futile for this release. Check out Squeak Trunk or wait for 4.1".
>
>- Bert -

That would appear to be a pretty good way to reduce the server problems due to the slashdot effect by killing budding interest in the 4.x line.
Nip it right in the bud so to speak.

Ken G. Brown