Puzzled about Form#stencil

senTalker
Hello Squeakers!

I am really puzzled about this: I have 2 PNGs, both with transparent
pixels. Although both are rendered accordingly when I ask for the
"stencil" (map of transparent vs. opaque pixels) one of them gives me
the correct image, whereas for the other I just get a black box.

Using the files attached, "triangle-sketch" gives me the correct mask
and "home-gimp..." gives me the black box.

I evaluate this in a workspace, first by d&d the files into Squeak
(4.3, all-in-one, Mac), and then d&d into the workspace:

(SketchMorph withForm: sketch305 form stencil) openInHand.
(SketchMorph withForm: sketch1737 form stencil) openInHand.

I show the situation in the attached screenshot.

Any idea why this is so? Thanks in advance!

Sebastian

triangle-sketch.png (828 bytes) Download Attachment
home-gimp-100x100.png (24K) Download Attachment
SqueakScreen.1.jpg (36K) Download Attachment

Re: Puzzled about Form#stencil

Bert Freudenberg
On 2012-11-14, at 17:27, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Squeakers!
>
> I am really puzzled about this: I have 2 PNGs, both with transparent
> pixels. Although both are rendered accordingly when I ask for the
> "stencil" (map of transparent vs. opaque pixels) one of them gives me
> the correct image, whereas for the other I just get a black box.
>
> Using the files attached, "triangle-sketch" gives me the correct mask
> and "home-gimp..." gives me the black box.
>
> I evaluate this in a workspace, first by d&d the files into Squeak
> (4.3, all-in-one, Mac), and then d&d into the workspace:
>
> (SketchMorph withForm: sketch305 form stencil) openInHand.
> (SketchMorph withForm: sketch1737 form stencil) openInHand.
>
> I show the situation in the attached screenshot.
>
> Any idea why this is so? Thanks in advance!
>
> Sebastian
> <triangle-sketch.png><home-gimp-100x100.png><SqueakScreen.1.jpg>

sketch305 form bits first hex
==> '16r0'

sketch1737 form bits first hex
==> '16rFFFFFF'

- Bert -

Re: Puzzled about Form#stencil

senTalker
I still don't get it... wouldn't it mean that it should be a full
white opaque pixel? (I'm no graphics expert)

And still, isn't this contradictory?

self isTransparentAt: 0@0.   ==> false
self colorAt: 0@0.       ==> Color transparent

Thanks again!

Sebastian

2012/11/14 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:

> sketch305 form bits first hex
> ==> '16r0'
>
> sketch1737 form bits first hex
> ==> '16rFFFFFF'
>
> - Bert -

Re: Puzzled about Form#stencil

senTalker
Small clarification: this was from an Inspector window (inspecting the
"house" Form), hence the "self".

On 14.11.2012, at 17:57, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I still don't get it... wouldn't it mean that it should be a full
> white opaque pixel? (I'm no graphics expert)

No, it's a white pixel with alpha (opaqueness) of 0. Opaque white would be 16rFFFFFFFF, not 16r00FFFFFF.

> And still, isn't this contradictory?
>
> self isTransparentAt: 0@0.   ==> false
> self colorAt: 0@0.       ==> Color transparent

For historical reasons, only a pixel value of 0 is treated as transparent by BitBlt.

- Bert -

> Thanks again!
>
> Sebastian
>

> 2012/11/14 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> sketch305 form bits first hex
>> ==> '16r0'
>>
>> sketch1737 form bits first hex
>> ==> '16rFFFFFF'