[Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

[Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

Tapple Gao
On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 08:20:43PM +0900, Sungjin Chun wrote:
> Though I've followed the instruction in wiki
> (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/607), it does not work well. Biggest
> problem is that assign.frame: assign.form: like messages does not work.
> Can anyone help me?

I am responsible for the ThingLab in SqueakSource. What Squeak
Image are you using? I have only tested ThingLab with Squeak 3.8
images.

I have no idea what you mean by assign.frame: and assign.form:
messages. can you elaborate?

Also, I have not examined it yet, but Cassowary may be a better
ThingLab. The only way I know of to install it is through
Universes in the 3.10 alpha image, but it may work in older
images too.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 07:15:35AM +0900, Sungjin Chun wrote:

> Matthew Fulmer wrote:
>
> > I am responsible for the ThingLab in SqueakSource. What Squeak
> > Image are you using? I have only tested ThingLab with Squeak 3.8
> > images.
>
> I'm using MVC only image which derived from 3.8.1 image.
>

> > I have no idea what you mean by assign.frame: and assign.form:
> > messages. can you elaborate?
>
> The problem is that my image has problem with compiling assign.frame:
> like method, there seems that supporting facilities from you changeset
> posted in wiki but from my quick debugging session, it cannot get
> fields(arguments) of given selector. (Sorry for my poor english). For
> example, during compiling of "assign.point: (Point x: 1 y: 2)" the
> compiling logic can find the selector name correctly ("assign.point:")
> but cannot find its field(argument, Point instance).

selectors should not have periods in their name. is assign an
object name, and point: a method? if so, perhaps you are trying
to do:

    assign point: 1@2

or is assign.point: the name of a message you made up? I have no
idea what assign.point: is, or what it has to do with ThingLab.
Indeed, it is not even valid Smalltalk syntax.

You may also be trying to write an accessor method, one that
sets the 'point' instance variable of your object. if so, rename
it to simply point: and it should work

ThingLab does use selectors with periods in their names behind
the scenes, but none of those are built in the browser; it only
uses those for auto-generated intermediate methods used in the
incremental constraint solver. It is quite an egregious
violation of Smalltalk syntax, so don't expect any tool support.
A serious update of ThingLab would require
selectors-with-periods to be removed.

> > Also, I have not examined it yet, but Cassowary may be a better
> > ThingLab. The only way I know of to install it is through
> > Universes in the 3.10 alpha image, but it may work in older
> > images too.
> >

> Does it work well with MVC only image? And is it improved version of
> ThingLab or so? I tried ThingLab for demonstration of Smalltalk-80.

It is a completely different system, written simultaneously for
C, Java, Python, and Smalltalk:
http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/constraints/cassowary/
It was ported to Squeak later. I don't know whether it is for
MVC, Morphic, or non-graphic, as I have never yet tried it.

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 08:21:24AM +0900, Sungjin Chun wrote:
> It seems that assign.point: thing is related to accessor method point:
> but if I have to create it everytime ThingLab is very hard to use one.
> Instead, I fixed(patched) following
>
> <snip>
>
> With above patch it seems that ThingLab does work.

You seem to understand ThingLab better than I do. I opened up
the repository for global write access. Please commit your
patch. Thanks a lot.

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

keith1y
Sungjin Chun wrote:
> Thanks, but I do not know how to use repository or others and worse, my
> MVC only image does not have monticello(right?) support. (But if anyone
> can help me, I can do it after I might managed to install monticello to
> my own MVC-only image).

Although it will not help you to post updates to the monticello
repository from your MVC only image. You could use "Installer" as a
front end to search and load packages from SqueakMap and Monticello,
even though you lack a full UI.

Installer can be bootstrapped from
http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/Installer.st

For detailed usage examples, see the class comment.

regards

Keith

On Mon, Apr 16, 2007 at 08:43:10PM +0900, Sungjin Chun wrote:

> Matthew Fulmer wrote:
> > You seem to understand ThingLab better than I do. I opened up
> > the repository for global write access. Please commit your
> > patch. Thanks a lot.
> >

> Thanks, but I do not know how to use repository or others and worse, my
> MVC only image does not have monticello(right?) support. (But if anyone
> can help me, I can do it after I might managed to install monticello to
> my own MVC-only image).

How did you install the SqueakSource package without Monticello?
If you are in a regular 3.8 image, you can open Monticello in
MVC by doing:

- World Menu > open... > Morphic World
- Within the Morphic world, do
  - World Menu > open... > Monticello Browser

or, you can escape back to the top-level Morphic project by
doing

World Menu > previous project

> Also, for the patch, the real problem, it seems that "sel keywords",
> that is, keywords method is the main source of the problem. I don't know
> why it does return array with empty last element, but for me, it seems
> wrong. Who does know well on this selector would better investigate.

I have no idea what you are trying to do, what you have done, or
how to test for or reproduce the problem you are having. Please
say what you are doing; perhaps then I will be able to reproduce
this problem.

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

keith1y
Sungjin Chun,

While I am telling you about tools which dont require a UI.

The version of SUnit in http://www.squeaksource.com/Testing

Contains a class TestReporter which runs test cases and outputs the
failures/errors to files in a directory 'tests'.

e.g. TestReporter new runCategories: #( 'Rio-*' ).     <print-it>

The results file can be filed in, or for debugging, viewed in a FileList
and you can 'doit' individual failures.

SSpec, (also available in the above repository) is another
Testing/Specifying framework which has a non GUI TextRunner

best regards

Keith

> Keith Hodges wrote:
> Although it will not help you to post updates to the monticello
> repository from your MVC only image. You could use "Installer" as a
> front end to search and load packages from SqueakMap and Monticello,
> even though you lack a full UI.
>
> Installer can be bootstrapped from
> http://installer.pbwiki.com/f/Installer.st
>
> For detailed usage examples, see the class comment.
>
> regards
>
> Keith
>

> Wow, Thank you very much, this is what I'm looking for. I'll try this
> and if there's problem, I'll ask

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

Chun, Sungjin

Re: [Q] Anyone tried ThingLab in SqueakSource?

keith1y

>> The version of SUnit in http://www.squeaksource.com/Testing
>>

>  OOPS!, I missed my question, which version/package should I try?

The basic improvements and the TestReporter are available in the latest
Package 'SUnit-kph-*.mcz', in http://www.squeaksource.com/Testing

Keith