[Q] How to handle the script with many tiles

[Q] How to handle the script with many tiles

Young-Jin Lee-3
Hello,

As far as I know, the current version of Etoys (v. 4.1) does not support a scroll bar in the script box which makes it very difficult to add/edit tiles in the script when it already has many tiles. I am wondering how people deal with this problem. Is there a way to work around this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Young-Jin Lee

Re: [Q] How to handle the script with many tiles

Steve Thomas
Young-Jin,

Good question, a scroll bar sounds like a nice enhancement request (created one here).

Two ways I can think of to deal with this for now:
  1. You should be able to get the Scripts Halo and then use the "Move" icon to move it up and down, not ideal but it does work.
  2. Switch code to "show code textually" to get a text representation of the tiles, of course changing things here does not translate back to tiles when you "revert to tile version..." any changes will be lost. If you do make changes be sure to type CMD-S (on Mac) or CTRL-S (on PC or XO).
Stephen

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Young-Jin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

As far as I know, the current version of Etoys (v. 4.1) does not support a scroll bar in the script box which makes it very difficult to add/edit tiles in the script when it already has many tiles. I am wondering how people deal with this problem. Is there a way to work around this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Young-Jin Lee

Re: [Q] How to handle the script with many tiles

Karl Ramberg

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:46 PM, Steve Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Young-Jin,

Good question, a scroll bar sounds like a nice enhancement request (created one here).

Two ways I can think of to deal with this for now:
  1. You should be able to get the Scripts Halo and then use the "Move" icon to move it up and down, not ideal but it does work.
  2. Switch code to "show code textually" to get a text representation of the tiles, of course changing things here does not translate back to tiles when you "revert to tile version..." any changes will be lost. If you do make changes be sure to type CMD-S (on Mac) or CTRL-S (on PC or XO).
Stephen

I suggest

3 Refactor script into smaller parts

Big scripts are quite hard to handle and a scollbar is sometimes a good solution. But often is a big script a sign forma refactoring of the code into smaller and more manageable

Another suggestion:
It would be nice to be able to collapse pats of scipts into single lines like a directory file browser.

Karl

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Young-Jin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

As far as I know, the current version of Etoys (v. 4.1) does not support a scroll bar in the script box which makes it very difficult to add/edit tiles in the script when it already has many tiles. I am wondering how people deal with this problem. Is there a way to work around this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Young-Jin Lee

Re: [Q] How to handle the script with many tiles

Steve Thomas
You can use Holders to handle "lists" in Etoys,  Holders can store as many items (of any kind) you like.  Then in the viewer look at the collections category.

Stephen
FYI, I generally reply to entire list as I find if one person has a question many others do as well.

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Young-Jin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I did not know I could use the "Move" halo.

BTW, I have another question and am wondering if you can help me. It appears that the current version of Etoys does not support a list. Is this correct? If so, is there a way to store multiple items of unknown length?

Thanks in advance.

Young-Jin
On Apr 23, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Steve Thomas wrote:

> Young-Jin,
>
> Good question, a scroll bar sounds like a nice enhancement request (created one here).
>
> Two ways I can think of to deal with this for now:
>       • You should be able to get the Scripts Halo and then use the "Move" icon to move it up and down, not ideal but it does work.
>       • Switch code to "show code textually" to get a text representation of the tiles, of course changing things here does not translate back to tiles when you "revert to tile version..." any changes will be lost. If you do make changes be sure to type CMD-S (on Mac) or CTRL-S (on PC or XO).
> Stephen
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Young-Jin Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As far as I know, the current version of Etoys (v. 4.1) does not support a scroll bar in the script box which makes it very difficult to add/edit tiles in the script when it already has many tiles. I am wondering how people deal with this problem. Is there a way to work around this issue?
>
> Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Young-Jin Lee

Re: [Q] How to handle the script with many tiles

Bert Freudenberg

On 23.04.2012, at 12:19, Young-Jin Lee wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As far as I know, the current version of Etoys (v. 4.1) does not support a scroll bar in the script box which makes it very difficult to add/edit tiles in the script when it already has many tiles. I am wondering how people deal with this problem. Is there a way to work around this issue?
>
> Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Young-Jin Lee

You can drag any object using the same gesture you use to bring up the halo.

So for a long script, I just drag it using the right mouse button.

- Bert -