[Q] How would you save your image to a repository as MC packages (in 5 minutes or less)?

[Q] How would you save your image to a repository as MC packages (in 5 minutes or less)?

Jerome Peace
This is another challenge question.

The idea is to do the inverse of what 3dot9 is doing
now.
By selecting a menu item or pressing a button. Have
the contents of the image saved out onto a repository
as MC components complete with load script that can be
run to recreate the image.

The load script should be runnable from any bootstrap
image greater than n.

The joy is that the pieces are syncronised no pieces
missing. So moving a group of methods would change two
packages at once.

So how would you do it (in 5 minutes or less)?

Yours in curiosity, -- Jerome Peace

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: [Q] How would you save your image to a repository as MC packages (in 5 minutes or less)?

stéphane ducasse-2

On 16 juil. 06, at 06:47, Peace Jerome wrote:

> This is another challenge question.
>
> The idea is to do the inverse of what 3dot9 is doing
> now.
> By selecting a menu item or pressing a button. Have
> the contents of the image saved out onto a repository
> as MC components complete with load script that can be
> run to recreate the image.
>
> The load script should be runnable from any bootstrap
> image greater than n.
>
> The joy is that the pieces are syncronised no pieces
> missing. So moving a group of methods would change two
> packages at once.

we would love to be able to do that.
But this is huge effort

BTW we will try to write a postmortem analysis of the problems we
encountered
So far:
        - moving method between packages is a hell
        - the notion of slices (or brotherhood between packages) is cruelly
missing

> So how would you do it (in 5 minutes or less)?
>
> Yours in curiosity, -- Jerome Peace

> http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: [Q] How would you save your image to a repository as MC packages (in 5 minutes or less)?

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 16.07.2006 um 06:47 schrieb Peace Jerome:

> This is another challenge question.
>
> The idea is to do the inverse of what 3dot9 is doing
> now.
> By selecting a menu item or pressing a button. Have
> the contents of the image saved out onto a repository
> as MC components complete with load script that can be
> run to recreate the image.
>
> The load script should be runnable from any bootstrap
> image greater than n.
>
> The joy is that the pieces are syncronised no pieces
> missing. So moving a group of methods would change two
> packages at once.
>
> So how would you do it (in 5 minutes or less)?

Snapshot the image, use ZIP to include it in an MCZ of your choice,
upload to repository. Depending on your upload speed that should work
in 5 minutes.

- Bert -