[Q] Reading tar.gz archives from inside Squeak

[Q] Reading tar.gz archives from inside Squeak

Edgar J. De Cleene
Doing some google , I found this from Ned and from a long time ago...

> I've made space (in Archive) for other kinds of archives. It'll take a bit of
> refactoring. My plan was to add Tar archives at some point. That should be
> easy. Unfortunately, support for .tar.gz  (compressed Tar) archives would
> require multiple passes through the decompression to be able to extract
> individual files -- one pass to get the members built, then for each member,
> a scan through all the compressed data to the member start. Compressed tar
> files are so ugly compared to zip files...
>
> The problem with .gz files is that they're a degenerate form of archive: they
> can only hold one file! So the viewer would have to enquire of the archive
> whether adding was possible.

I wish know if some Squeaker have a newer code or examples.

Now what I see how nice SkinsII is and use the themes what Todd suggest, I
wish have a collection of themes , inside Squeak.

Any lead or clues was appreciated.

Edgar

Correo Yahoo!

Re: [Q] Reading tar.gz archives from inside Squeak

karl-8
Edgar J. De Cleene skrev:

> Doing some google , I found this from Ned and from a long time ago...
>

>> I've made space (in Archive) for other kinds of archives. It'll take a bit of
>> refactoring. My plan was to add Tar archives at some point. That should be
>> easy. Unfortunately, support for .tar.gz  (compressed Tar) archives would
>> require multiple passes through the decompression to be able to extract
>> individual files -- one pass to get the members built, then for each member,
>> a scan through all the compressed data to the member start. Compressed tar
>> files are so ugly compared to zip files...
>>
>> The problem with .gz files is that they're a degenerate form of archive: they
>> can only hold one file! So the viewer would have to enquire of the archive
>> whether adding was possible.
>>

> I wish know if some Squeaker have a newer code or examples.
>
> Now what I see how nice SkinsII is and use the themes what Todd suggest, I
> wish have a collection of themes , inside Squeak.
>
> Any lead or clues was appreciated.
>
> Edgar

> Correo Yahoo!
> ¡Abrí tu cuenta ya! - http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

But Ned made zip possible. That can hold several files.
Karl