Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

marcel.taeumel

Hi all!

The idea of bumping the version from Windows XP (0x0501) to Windows 8 (0x0602) came from the rather crude attempt to check for "if API exists" in sqWin32Main.c:

typedef BOOL(WINAPI *pfnGetFileInformationByHandleEx)(...);
static pfnGet[...]HandleEx pGet[...]HandleEx = NULL;
if (!pGet[...]HandleEx) {
GetProcAddress(GetModuleHandle(TEXT("kernel32.dll")) ...
if (!pGet[...]HandleEx) return -1;
}

Also, there are some definitions copied over from newer header files. Just take a look that those "#if (WINVER < 0x0400)" and similar.

Microsoft has long ended the support for Windows XP. The next in line look similiar: Windows Vista, Windows 7. Support has ended there, too.

We could bump further but Windows 8 looks like a fair improvement in reliability and robustness comparing to its predecessors. And the last update for Windows 8 was only 8 years ago. Not even a decade. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

Stéphane Rollandin

> We could bump further but Windows 8 looks like a fair improvement in
> reliability and robustness comparing to its predecessors. And the last
> update for Windows 8 was only 8 years ago. Not even a decade. :-)

FWIW I am still on Windows 8.1

Re: Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

Ben Coman

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 16:38, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We could bump further but Windows 8 looks like a fair improvement in
> reliability and robustness comparing to its predecessors. And the last
> update for Windows 8 was only 8 years ago. Not even a decade. :-)

FWIW I am still on Windows 8.1

Stef

Whoops.  I was about to say Windows 8 was crap - no one uses it. sorry.

The "good" versions of Windows were XP, 7 and 10.

My work machine is actually still on Windows 7.  It only became end-of-life at the beginning of this year.
I'd like to upgrade to 10 soon, but there are many 7 installations in the wild for a coupe more years.
Roughly 200 million PCs worldwide will still be running older Windows versions, mostly Windows 7.
Here it is by portion.
image.png

So I'd agree XP definitely should be dumped, but settling on Win 8 seems pointless.
Either also keep Win 7
or also dump Win 8 and jump all the way to Win 10.

my two cents...
cheers -ben

Re: Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

Nicolas Cellier

Hi all,

Le mer. 13 mai 2020 à 19:15, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 16:38, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We could bump further but Windows 8 looks like a fair improvement in
> reliability and robustness comparing to its predecessors. And the last
> update for Windows 8 was only 8 years ago. Not even a decade. :-)

FWIW I am still on Windows 8.1

Stef

Whoops.  I was about to say Windows 8 was crap - no one uses it. sorry.

The "good" versions of Windows were XP, 7 and 10.

My work machine is actually still on Windows 7.  It only became end-of-life at the beginning of this year.
I'd like to upgrade to 10 soon, but there are many 7 installations in the wild for a coupe more years.
Roughly 200 million PCs worldwide will still be running older Windows versions, mostly Windows 7.
Here it is by portion.
image.png

So I'd agree XP definitely should be dumped, but settling on Win 8 seems pointless.
Either also keep Win 7
or also dump Win 8 and jump all the way to Win 10.

my two cents...
cheers -ben

like Ben said, thanks for these pointers.
it seems that the function is supported as of 0x0600 (vista and server 2008)
So it's not necessary to break compatibility with windows 7 yet, too many users still.
Just use 0x0600 instead of 0x0602.

Re: Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

marcel.taeumel

Hmm... regarding that function, 0x0600 would be enough. Sure. But Vista? Seriously? :-D

It's voting time! Here you go: http://www.strawpoll.me/20045290

Best,
Marcel

Am 13.05.2020 21:50:49 schrieb Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

Hi all,

Le mer. 13 mai 2020 à 19:15, Ben Coman a écrit :

> [...]

I'd like to upgrade to 10 soon, but there are many 7 installations in the wild for a coupe more years.
Roughly 200 million PCs worldwide will still be running older Windows versions, mostly Windows 7.
Here it is by portion.

So I'd agree XP definitely should be dumped, but settling on Win 8 seems pointless.
Either also keep Win 7
or also dump Win 8 and jump all the way to Win 10.

my two cents...
cheers -ben

like Ben said, thanks for these pointers.
it seems that the function is supported as of 0x0600 (vista and server 2008)
So it's not necessary to break compatibility with windows 7 yet, too many users still.
Just use 0x0600 instead of 0x0602.

Re: Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

fniephaus

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 9:01 AM Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hmm... regarding that function, 0x0600 would be enough. Sure. But Vista? Seriously? :-D

It's voting time! Here you go: http://www.strawpoll.me/20045290

No need to vote, you gave the best reason to keep 0x0600 in your statement above. Why drop support if 0x0600 is enough!?

Fabio

> [...]

I'd like to upgrade to 10 soon, but there are many 7 installations in the wild for a coupe more years.
Roughly 200 million PCs worldwide will still be running older Windows versions, mostly Windows 7.
Here it is by portion.
image.png

So I'd agree XP definitely should be dumped, but settling on Win 8 seems pointless.
Either also keep Win 7
or also dump Win 8 and jump all the way to Win 10.

my two cents...
cheers -ben

like Ben said, thanks for these pointers.
it seems that the function is supported as of 0x0600 (vista and server 2008)
So it's not necessary to break compatibility with windows 7 yet, too many users still.
Just use 0x0600 instead of 0x0602.

Re: Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

Vista was crap. :-)

Best,
Marcel

wrote:

> [...]

I'd like to upgrade to 10 soon, but there are many 7 installations in the wild for a coupe more years.
Roughly 200 million PCs worldwide will still be running older Windows versions, mostly Windows 7.
Here it is by portion.
image.png

So I'd agree XP definitely should be dumped, but settling on Win 8 seems pointless.
Either also keep Win 7
or also dump Win 8 and jump all the way to Win 10.

my two cents...
cheers -ben

like Ben said, thanks for these pointers.
it seems that the function is supported as of 0x0600 (vista and server 2008)
So it's not necessary to break compatibility with windows 7 yet, too many users still.
Just use 0x0600 instead of 0x0602.

Re: Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

Tobias Pape

> On 14.05.2020, at 10:39, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Vista was crap. :-)

Then 0x0601 I don't care too much.
I thought we already bumped to Vista some time ago? did I miss something?
-t

> [...]
>>> Roughly 200 million PCs worldwide will still be running older Windows versions, mostly Windows 7.
>>> Here it is by portion.
>>>
>>> https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-many-pcs-are-still-running-windows-7-today/
>>>
>>> So I'd agree XP definitely should be dumped, but settling on Win 8 seems pointless.
>>> Either also keep Win 7
>>> or also dump Win 8 and jump all the way to Win 10.
>>>
>>> my two cents...
>>> cheers -ben
>>>
>>> like Ben said, thanks for these pointers.
>>> it seems that the function is supported as of 0x0600 (vista and server 2008)
>>> So it's not necessary to break compatibility with windows 7 yet, too many users still.
>>> Just use 0x0600 instead of 0x0602.

Re: Question | Bump min support from WinXP to Win8

marcel.taeumel

I thought we already bumped to Vista some time ago? did I miss something?

Maybe in some MSVC Makefiles? But not in the ones that are used via AppVeyor.

Best,
Marcel