Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

marcel.taeumel
Hi all!

We have the preference "duplicate (all) CTRL and ALT keys", which makes CTRL-key and ALT/CMD-key combinations identical across all kinds of applications. So, that preference will also work in text fields by default. Workspace, debugger, browse, everywhere.

HOWEVER, there is EXTRA duplication effort in TextEditor's (shifted)-command keyboard shortcut list. There are duplicate entries. See the bottom of TextEditor class >> #initializeShiftCmdKeyShortcuts:

1 to: cmds size by: 2 do: [ :i |
cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "plain keys"
cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue - 32 + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "shifted keys"
cmdMap at: ((cmds at: i) asciiValue - 96 + 1) put: (cmds at: i + 1). "ctrl keys"
].

Do you need that extra duplication? So, do you want to DISABLE that preference BUT STILL be able to use, for example CTRL+D to trigger a DO-IT in text fields?

I would say: NO. If I disable the key-duplication PREFERENCE, I want CTRL+H to trigger BACKSPACE and CTRL+D to move the cursor to the end of the line. That's just how control keys work. It would also simplify the code base.

Your call. :-)

Happy holidays,
Marcel

Re: Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

Jakob Reschke
Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 24. Dez. 2019, 11:48:
I want CTRL+H to trigger BACKSPACE and CTRL+D to move the cursor to the end of the line. That's just how control keys work.

...except that I never ever saw this kind of behavior with these keys in any OS or application. 😅

I don't need the extra duplication. I would rather like to see further combinations free so they can be mapped to something useful.

Re: Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

K K Subbu
On 24/12/19 4:18 PM, Marcel Taeumel wrote:

> Do you need that extra duplication? So, do you want to DISABLE that
> preference BUT STILL be able to use, for example CTRL+D to trigger a
> DO-IT in text fields?

No and No. I would like to see all platform-specific key mapping moved
out of the Image and put into VM ini or rc files.

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

Chris Muller-3
On Tue, Dec 24, 2019 at 4:48 AM Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I don't mean to be a problem-child but... the ones I'm most worried about are the autoEnclose hot-keys.  I use them SO often, especially Control+9, and Control+[ (for { } enclosures).

I just tried an Alt+Shift+9 and it felt clumsy.  :(  It's dangerously close to Alt+Shift+_, which kills the image quickly.  Control+9 is much quicker, easier, safer, by comparison...    What I think we should do is bump it to the next release cycle, to make sure we like this, possibly in a way that introduces a remapping facility.  Changing this seems more like a change than a "fix"..

Best,
  Chris

Chris Muller <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 25. Dez. 2019, 03:47:
I don't mean to be a problem-child but... the ones I'm most worried about are the autoEnclose hot-keys.  I use them SO often, especially Control+9, and Control+[ (for { } enclosures).

I just tried an Alt+Shift+9 and it felt clumsy.  :(

I don't understand. Isn't this ctrl alt duplication independent from the recently debated ctrl+9 (without shift) mapping? So shouldn't one of ctrl+9 or alt+9 work anyway?

Re: Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

marcel.taeumel
Hi Chris.

I use them SO often, especially Control+9, and Control+[ (for { } enclosures).

Ctrl+[1-9] are reserverd for our world-main docking bar, right? And Ctrl+0 is the Search Field.

Best,
Marcel

Am 25.12.2019 09:52:10 schrieb Jakob Reschke <[hidden email]>:

Chris Muller <[hidden email]> schrieb am Mi., 25. Dez. 2019, 03:47:
I don't mean to be a problem-child but... the ones I'm most worried about are the autoEnclose hot-keys.  I use them SO often, especially Control+9, and Control+[ (for { } enclosures).

I just tried an Alt+Shift+9 and it felt clumsy.  :(

I don't understand. Isn't this ctrl alt duplication independent from the recently debated ctrl+9 (without shift) mapping? So shouldn't one of ctrl+9 or alt+9 work anyway?

Re: Question | In text fields, do you need EXTRA duplication of ctrl and cmd/alt?

Chris Muller-3
Hi,

I use them SO often, especially Control+9, and Control+[ (for { } enclosures).

Ctrl+[1-9] are reserverd for our world-main docking bar, right? And Ctrl+0 is the Search Field.

Well, Ctrl+[1-8, 0] are.  Since there is no ninth menu there, Ctrl+9 does currently nothing on the DockingBar.  But your point is well-taken, what if we DID want to add a ninth menu.  Hmm...

Jakob wrote:
I don't understand. Isn't this ctrl alt duplication independent from the recently debated ctrl+9 (without shift) mapping? So shouldn't one of ctrl+9 or alt+9 work anyway?
I'm suddenly realizing I don't remember which keys these preferences actually affect.  Unfortunately the description just says, "some alt-keys".   Marcel's question was:

> So, do you want to DISABLE that preference BUT STILL be able to use, for example CTRL+D to trigger a DO-IT in text fields?

With it disabled, Ctrl+D is "Debug It", (e.g., "super" Do-It), not the regular "Do It", and the emphasis on the "BUT STILL" in the question made me think certain Control keys might go away.  I do run with it disabled, but various Control keys I use work.  I sense I'm very confused, sorry.

Bottom line:  If existing Control keys will be preserved even when this preference is disabled, even after removing the duplication Marcel identified, then I've no issues with it.  Otherwise, I'd like to know what real world impacts users like me would face -- e.g., which keys affected?

Thanks for your patience with me.  :/

 - Chris