Question on VM for Apple's M1

nacho

Hi,
Hope you are all well,
Just subscribed to the list.
I mostly use Cuis-Smalltalk which uses the same VM as Squeak.
I was wondering if there are plans to release a VM specifically for the new Apple M1 arm64 chip.
I read somewhere that they were experimenting on one for Pharo 9.
Thanks in advance
Cheers
Nacho

Ignacio Sniechowski

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Question on VM for Apple's M1

timrowledge

> On 2021-05-16, at 7:11 AM, Rafael Ignacio Matías Sniechowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> Hope you are all well,
> Just subscribed to the list.
> I mostly use Cuis-Smalltalk which uses the same VM as Squeak.
> I was wondering if there are plans to release a VM specifically for the new Apple M1 arm64 chip.

Well we already have arm64 cog VMs; it's what I use as my main earn-a-living-machine. Specifically for Apple M1 ... not completely certain if it is releaseable yet because that is somewhat different to commodity ARM64 and the Mac OS stuff adds some security related issues for dynamic translation.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PWB: Put to Waste Basket

Re: Question on VM for Apple's M1

nacho

Thanks Tim
Yes, I saw that there is already a linux-arm64, but as you said, macos stuff adds some security related issues.
I do know that there were advances in a VM version for Pharo 9 (which involved installing lots of stuff using "brew").
I guess that in a near future a version for DarwinM1arm64 will be released.
Best
Nacho

Ignacio Sniechowski