Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

Johannes Rasche
Hi all, especially Sean

assume my recent posting has been overseen, therefore again:

I'm referring to Sean's harvesting of Sophie.

Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?

If not, I'm offering to do that job.

A few remarks, what has to be done from my point of view (must not be a player like that in Squeak):
  • start pause, stop (removes the morph)
  • slider
  • volume and mute
  • reposition and resize (not by halo)
  • ExternalDrophandler
  • other than .mov video formats to be checked (what QT player is accepting) -
    • an issue for the plugin (to be done by somebody experienced with plugins and details of video formats)

Anyway I'm preparing a draft.

In this context I also like to mention mp3 harvested kindly from Sophie by Sean as well
  • it didn't work for me, as I tried it yesterday - mp3 format issue - I assume it's due to less maintenance of the mpeg3 plugin (  it seems from old Squeak days and was never touched later ) - did experience that with Squeak as well 2 years or more before

Would like to handle this as well, but requires contribution of someone with plugin and mp3 experience I guess

Cheers

Johannes

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

Marcus Denker-4

On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Johannes Rasche wrote:

> Hi all, especially Sean
>
> assume my recent posting has been overseen, therefore again:
>
> I'm referring to Sean's harvesting of Sophie.
>
> Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?

What is the license?

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

Johannes Rasche
as you may know Sophie project is now rewritten in Java

I would ask them, whether the same conditions apply for the Smalltalk code

Am 16.08.2011 um 12:24 schrieb Marcus Denker:

On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Johannes Rasche wrote:

Hi all, especially Sean

assume my recent posting has been overseen, therefore again:

I'm referring to Sean's harvesting of Sophie.

Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?

What is the license?

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

Frank Shearar-3
Surely the Smalltalk part's covered by _this_ licence?

http://www.futureofthebook.org/sophie/about/license/

As opposed to the licence for Sophie 2.0.

frank

On 16 August 2011 12:45, Johannes Rasche <[hidden email]> wrote:

> as you may know Sophie project is now rewritten in Java
> the license is: http://www.sophie2.org/users/licensing.html
> I would ask them, whether the same conditions apply for the Smalltalk code
>
> Am 16.08.2011 um 12:24 schrieb Marcus Denker:
>
> On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Johannes Rasche wrote:
>
> Hi all, especially Sean
>
> assume my recent posting has been overseen, therefore again:
>
> I'm referring to Sean's harvesting of Sophie.
>
> Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?
>

> What is the license?
>
> --
> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

Johannes Rasche
meaning ?

Am 16.08.2011 um 13:49 schrieb Frank Shearar:

> Surely the Smalltalk part's covered by _this_ licence?
>
> http://www.futureofthebook.org/sophie/about/license/
>
> As opposed to the licence for Sophie 2.0.
>
> frank
>
> On 16 August 2011 12:45, Johannes Rasche <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> as you may know Sophie project is now rewritten in Java
>> the license is: http://www.sophie2.org/users/licensing.html
>> I would ask them, whether the same conditions apply for the Smalltalk code
>>
>> Am 16.08.2011 um 12:24 schrieb Marcus Denker:
>>
>> On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Johannes Rasche wrote:
>>
>> Hi all, especially Sean
>>
>> assume my recent posting has been overseen, therefore again:
>>
>> I'm referring to Sean's harvesting of Sophie.
>>
>> Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?
>>

>> What is the license?
>>
>> --
>> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Johannes Rasche wrote
Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?
Yes, you are apparently, lol!

Here are the relevant discussions, some of which may help:
http://forum.world.st/Sophie-MPEG-Player-td2341744.html
http://forum.world.st/Playing-Flash-movies-in-image-was-Sophie-MPEG-Player-td3167328.html
http://forum.world.st/ANN-SqueakMovieMorph-Alpha-plays-any-video-file-playable-by-QuickTime-td3168532.html
http://forum.world.st/How-I-can-do-SWF-files-playing-in-pharo-td3161269.html
http://forum.world.st/Playing-Flash-movies-in-image-td3167383i20.html

Johannes Rasche wrote
mp3... didn't work for me... I assume it's due to less maintenance of the mpeg3 plugin
Are you using the Quicktime code to play them, or the other mp3 code I posted about? IIRC, the mp3 plugin is not used for the Qt stuff, and the other player was very old. Try Qt.

HTH,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

Frank Shearar-3
Meaning that anything ripped out of Sophie 1.0 should be (or is, rather) covered by an MIT licence, rather than Sophie 2.0's licence. Which is a good thing!

frank

Am 16.08.2011 um 13:49 schrieb Frank Shearar:

> Surely the Smalltalk part's covered by _this_ licence?
>
> http://www.futureofthebook.org/sophie/about/license/
>
> As opposed to the licence for Sophie 2.0.
>
> frank
>
> On 16 August 2011 12:45, Johannes Rasche <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> as you may know Sophie project is now rewritten in Java
>> the license is: http://www.sophie2.org/users/licensing.html
>> I would ask them, whether the same conditions apply for the Smalltalk code
>>
>> Am 16.08.2011 um 12:24 schrieb Marcus Denker:
>>
>> On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Johannes Rasche wrote:
>>
>> Hi all, especially Sean
>>
>> assume my recent posting has been overseen, therefore again:
>>
>> I'm referring to Sean's harvesting of Sophie.
>>
>> Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?
>>

>> What is the license?
>>
>> --
>> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Marcus Denker-4 wrote
What is the license?
After reading it over at the time, I wrote (http://forum.world.st/ANN-SqueakMovieMorph-Alpha-plays-any-video-file-playable-by-QuickTime-td3168532.html#a3169711) :
It seems the only requirement is to include the license text with the code, so I pasted it into a class comment in an -Info sub-category.
Cheers,
Sean

Am 16.08.2011 um 15:27 schrieb Sean P. DeNigris:

> Johannes Rasche wrote:
>>
>> Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?
>>
> Yes, you are apparently, lol!

OK, that's what I wanted to know

> Here are the relevant discussions, some of which may help:
> http://forum.world.st/Sophie-MPEG-Player-td2341744.html
> http://forum.world.st/Playing-Flash-movies-in-image-was-Sophie-MPEG-Player-td3167328.html
> http://forum.world.st/ANN-SqueakMovieMorph-Alpha-plays-any-video-file-playable-by-QuickTime-td3168532.html
> http://forum.world.st/How-I-can-do-SWF-files-playing-in-pharo-td3161269.html
> http://forum.world.st/Playing-Flash-movies-in-image-td3167383i20.html

I knew that stuff (except that last item)

> Johannes Rasche wrote:
>>
>> mp3... didn't work for me... I assume it's due to less maintenance of the
>> mpeg3 plugin
>>
> Are you using the Quicktime code to play them, or the other mp3 code I
> posted about? IIRC, the mp3 plugin is not used for the Qt stuff, and the
> other player was very old. Try Qt.

I made a first attempt last week with Qt with and m4a file and failed - anyway I'll keep on

> HTH,
> Sean

yes it helped for the moment - thanks so far

Johannes

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

it is different from

www.opensophie.org oops does not exist anymore....

http://www.ip-adress.com/whois/opensophie.org

Stef

On Aug 16, 2011, at 1:45 PM, Johannes Rasche wrote:

> as you may know Sophie project is now rewritten in Java
>
> the license is: http://www.sophie2.org/users/licensing.html
>
> I would ask them, whether the same conditions apply for the Smalltalk code
>

> Am 16.08.2011 um 12:24 schrieb Marcus Denker:
>

>> On Aug 16, 2011, at 11:02 AM, Johannes Rasche wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all, especially Sean
>>>
>>> assume my recent posting has been overseen, therefore again:
>>>
>>> I'm referring to Sean's harvesting of Sophie.
>>>
>>> Is somebody  going to finalize this Quicktime harvesting ?
>>>

>> What is the license?
>>
>> --
>> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Quicktime and MP3 harvested from Sophie

yes exactly

Stef