Quicktime in Squeak

David Brooks-4
Hi all,

Can anyone point me to a way of playing Quicktime files in squeak? I see that: <a href="http://people.we.mediaone.net/trade/quicktim.htm" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)"> http://people.we.mediaone.net/trade/quicktim.htm is not there anymore. I tried using the Applescript interface thinking I might make it work that way, but it is giving me incomprehensible fits.

Cheers,
David

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

johnmci
I wrote a applescript player to interface to the DVD and quicktime
player. It's on SqueakMap

Name: AppleScript Media Player Interface
Author: John M McIntosh <[hidden email]>
Owner: John M McIntosh <[hidden email]>

Interface to the Applescript class. Along with the plugins
TestOSAPlugin.bundle under os-x or TestOSAPlugin in os-8/9 you can
interact in an easier manner, to open a file, quit, enter or exit
full screen mode or hide/show the application using Apple's
AppleScript programming language.  This changeset also provides an
abstract class to talk to media player applications and two concrete
classes that support Apple's QuickTime (limited) and DVD Player
(fully supported).

By setting the Squeak Mac Carbon VM to use a floating foreground
window you can construct a floating control widget in morphic to
control the DVD player.
.

However part of the Sophie team spent the day at my cabin by the sea
building a QuickTime interface for Sophie. Interested parties should
talk to me if they need to see
the source early. We are not building a full interface to all the
richness of QuickTime, rather the ability to play a movie in a tweak
window, either via overlaying the movie onto the squeak window (that
works), or by grabbing the bits and sticking them a Squeak Form,
hopefully tomorrow.

On 10-Jan-06, at 5:21 PM, David Brooks wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone point me to a way of playing Quicktime files in squeak?
> I see that: http://people.we.mediaone.net/trade/quicktim.htm is not
> there anymore. I tried using the Applescript interface thinking I
> might make it work that way, but it is giving me incomprehensible
> fits.
>

> Cheers,
> David

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

Edgar J. De Cleene
That's why I name you Indispensable Squeaker (not only a Master)

I only have a word.

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW

GRACIAS

Edgar

1GB gratis, Antivirus y Antispam
http://correo.yahoo.com.ar

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

Joshua Gargus-2

On Jan 14, 2006, at 12:02 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> I wrote a applescript player to interface to the DVD and quicktime
> player. It's on SqueakMap
>
> Name: AppleScript Media Player Interface
> Author: John M McIntosh <[hidden email]>
> Owner: John M McIntosh <[hidden email]>

> Interface to the Applescript class. Along with the plugins
> TestOSAPlugin.bundle under os-x or TestOSAPlugin in os-8/9 you can
> interact in an easier manner, to open a file, quit, enter or exit
> full screen mode or hide/show the application using Apple's
> AppleScript programming language.  This changeset also provides an
> abstract class to talk to media player applications and two
> concrete classes that support Apple's QuickTime (limited) and DVD
> Player (fully supported).
>

> By setting the Squeak Mac Carbon VM to use a floating foreground
> window you can construct a floating control widget in morphic to
> control the DVD player.
> .
>

> However part of the Sophie team spent the day at my cabin by the
> sea building a QuickTime interface for Sophie. Interested parties
> should talk to me if they need to see the source early. We are not
> building a full interface to all the richness of QuickTime, rather
> the ability to play a movie in a tweak window, either via
> overlaying the movie onto the squeak window (that works), or by
> grabbing the bits and sticking them a Squeak Form, hopefully tomorrow.

I'd love to see it once it can grab bits into a Squeak form; please
announce when it is finished.

Will this be a Windows and MacOS solution?

Thanks,
Josh

> On 10-Jan-06, at 5:21 PM, David Brooks wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can anyone point me to a way of playing Quicktime files in squeak?
>> I see that: http://people.we.mediaone.net/trade/quicktim.htm is
>> not there anymore. I tried using the Applescript interface
>> thinking I might make it work that way, but it is giving me
>> incomprehensible fits.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> David

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

Steven W Riggins
Right now we've only done the Mac FFI calls.

On my last of breed powerbook, the video is hardware accelerated so
it plays entirely on top of squeak objects.  We don't have the form
based stuff working yet.

On Jan 14, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Josh Gargus wrote:

> I'd love to see it once it can grab bits into a Squeak form; please
> announce when it is finished.
>
> Will this be a Windows and MacOS solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

Joshua Gargus-2

On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Steven Riggins wrote:

> Right now we've only done the Mac FFI calls.

Do you see any reason why Windows shouldn't work?  I've been reading
the QuickTime docs, and it looks like it should work.

> On my last of breed powerbook, the video is hardware accelerated so
> it plays entirely on top of squeak objects.  We don't have the form
> based stuff working yet.

Would you mind sending me whatever you have, as soon as it is
convenient?

Thanks,
Josh

> On Jan 14, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Josh Gargus wrote:
>

>> I'd love to see it once it can grab bits into a Squeak form;
>> please announce when it is finished.
>>
>> Will this be a Windows and MacOS solution?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

Joshua Gargus-2
I grabbed some of the latest Sophie stuff:

Network-URI-swr.12.mcz
Files-Locations-JMM.23.mcz
Sophie-FFI-Mac-JMM.6.mcz
Sophie-Quicktime-swr.4.mcz

However, I can't make any of the examples work.  Both
SophieQuickTimeMovie>>example and SophieQuickTimeMovie>>example2
crash the VM.
The first problem is in
#callQTNewDataReferenceFromFullPathCFString:style:flags: ,  where the
FFI call to
#apiCFStringCreateWithBytesAllocator:buffer:size:encoding:external:
fails.  I thought this might be because the 'allocator' needed to be
0 instead of nil, but that didn't fix things.  Any ideas?

Thanks,
Josh

On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Steven Riggins wrote:

> Right now we've only done the Mac FFI calls.
>
> On my last of breed powerbook, the video is hardware accelerated so
> it plays entirely on top of squeak objects.  We don't have the form
> based stuff working yet.
>

> On Jan 14, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Josh Gargus wrote:
>

>> I'd love to see it once it can grab bits into a Squeak form;
>> please announce when it is finished.
>>
>> Will this be a Windows and MacOS solution?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

johnmci
There is a problem with loading FFI api methods via Monticello, you
must ensure you've also loaded this version before you load any code
that creates FFI structured classes.

"Name: Monticello-bf.273
Author: bf
Time: 5 January 2006, 4:33:19 pm
UUID: 2edc365b-9da0-4978-9b14-b53305b4914a
Ancestors: Monticello-bf.272

Fix loading of ExternalStructures. The normal file-out code inserts a
#compileFields send. So we now send #compileFields when #fields was
changed, similar to the #initialize call."

If you've already loaded stuff then you must do a "ExternalStructure
compileAllFields" to fix things.

I'll note this quicktime stuff is a moving target, I did a bit of
work today to provide a plugin that creates a squeak surface object
so that we can copy the form from the surface
into the tweak morphic, and to signal a semaphore when quicktime
signals a frame is completed so we know when to grab the frame for
display.

  I haven't published the plugin yet, and tomorrow I need to spend
some time with Steven in cleaning a few things up.

On 17-Jan-06, at 11:37 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:

> I grabbed some of the latest Sophie stuff:
>
> Network-URI-swr.12.mcz
> Files-Locations-JMM.23.mcz
> Sophie-FFI-Mac-JMM.6.mcz
> Sophie-Quicktime-swr.4.mcz
>
> However, I can't make any of the examples work.  Both
> SophieQuickTimeMovie>>example and SophieQuickTimeMovie>>example2
> crash the VM.
> The first problem is in
> #callQTNewDataReferenceFromFullPathCFString:style:flags: ,  where
> the FFI call to
> #apiCFStringCreateWithBytesAllocator:buffer:size:encoding:external:
> fails.  I thought this might be because the 'allocator' needed to
> be 0 instead of nil, but that didn't fix things.  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh
>
> On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Steven Riggins wrote:
>
>> Right now we've only done the Mac FFI calls.
>>
>> On my last of breed powerbook, the video is hardware accelerated
>> so it plays entirely on top of squeak objects.  We don't have the
>> form based stuff working yet.
>>

>> On Jan 14, 2006, at 11:25 AM, Josh Gargus wrote:
>>

>>> I'd love to see it once it can grab bits into a Squeak form;
>>> please announce when it is finished.
>>>
>>> Will this be a Windows and MacOS solution?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Josh

===

On Jan 18, 2006, at 3:23 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:

> There is a problem with loading FFI api methods via Monticello, you
> must ensure you've also loaded this version before you load any
> code that creates FFI structured classes.
>
> "Name: Monticello-bf.273
> Author: bf
> Time: 5 January 2006, 4:33:19 pm
> UUID: 2edc365b-9da0-4978-9b14-b53305b4914a
> Ancestors: Monticello-bf.272

Where can I find this version?  http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/
Monticello doesn't seem to have it.  Do Avi's latest versions contain
this fix?

> Fix loading of ExternalStructures. The normal file-out code inserts
> a #compileFields send. So we now send #compileFields when #fields
> was changed, similar to the #initialize call."
>

> If you've already loaded stuff then you must do a
> "ExternalStructure compileAllFields" to fix things.

Great, thanks.

> I'll note this quicktime stuff is a moving target,

Understood.

> I did a bit of work today to provide a plugin that creates a squeak
> surface object so that we can copy the form from the surface
> into the tweak morphic, and to signal a semaphore when quicktime
> signals a frame is completed so we know when to grab the frame for
> display.
>
>  I haven't published the plugin yet, and tomorrow I need to spend
> some time with Steven in cleaning a few things up.

Thanks again,
Josh

> On 17-Jan-06, at 11:37 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:
>
>> I grabbed some of the latest Sophie stuff:
>>
>> Network-URI-swr.12.mcz
>> Files-Locations-JMM.23.mcz
>> Sophie-FFI-Mac-JMM.6.mcz
>> Sophie-Quicktime-swr.4.mcz
>>
>> However, I can't make any of the examples work.  Both
>> SophieQuickTimeMovie>>example and SophieQuickTimeMovie>>example2
>> crash the VM.
>> The first problem is in
>> #callQTNewDataReferenceFromFullPathCFString:style:flags: ,  where
>> the FFI call to
>> #apiCFStringCreateWithBytesAllocator:buffer:size:encoding:external: f
>> ails.  I thought this might be because the 'allocator' needed to
>> be 0 instead of nil, but that didn't fix things.  Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Josh
>>
>> On Jan 14, 2006, at 2:18 PM, Steven Riggins wrote:
>>
>>> Right now we've only done the Mac FFI calls.
>>>
>>> On my last of breed powerbook, the video is hardware accelerated
>>> so it plays entirely on top of squeak objects.  We don't have the
>>> form based stuff working yet.

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

karl-8
Josh Gargus skrev:

> On Jan 18, 2006, at 3:23 AM, John M McIntosh wrote:
>
>> There is a problem with loading FFI api methods via Monticello, you
>> must ensure you've also loaded this version before you load any code
>> that creates FFI structured classes.
>>
>> "Name: Monticello-bf.273
>> Author: bf
>> Time: 5 January 2006, 4:33:19 pm
>> UUID: 2edc365b-9da0-4978-9b14-b53305b4914a
>> Ancestors: Monticello-bf.272
>
> Where can I find this version?  http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/Monticello
> doesn't seem to have it.  Do Avi's latest versions contain this fix?

http://source.impara.de/mc
Karl

>> Fix loading of ExternalStructures. The normal file-out code inserts a
>> #compileFields send. So we now send #compileFields when #fields was
>> changed, similar to the #initialize call."
>>

>> If you've already loaded stuff then you must do a "ExternalStructure
>> compileAllFields" to fix things.
>
> Great, thanks.
>

>> I'll note this quicktime stuff is a moving target,
>
> Understood.
>
>> I did a bit of work today to provide a plugin that creates a squeak
>> surface object so that we can copy the form from the surface
>> into the tweak morphic, and to signal a semaphore when quicktime
>> signals a frame is completed so we know when to grab the frame for
>> display.
>>
>>  I haven't published the plugin yet, and tomorrow I need to spend
>> some time with Steven in cleaning a few things up.
>>

> Thanks again,
> Josh
>

>> On 17-Jan-06, at 11:37 PM, Josh Gargus wrote:
>>
>>> I grabbed some of the latest Sophie stuff:
>>>
>>> Network-URI-swr.12.mcz
>>> Files-Locations-JMM.23.mcz
>>> Sophie-FFI-Mac-JMM.6.mcz

On Jan 18, 2006, at 10:49 AM, karl wrote:

>>> "Name: Monticello-bf.273
>>> Author: bf
>>> Time: 5 January 2006, 4:33:19 pm
>>> UUID: 2edc365b-9da0-4978-9b14-b53305b4914a
>>> Ancestors: Monticello-bf.272
>>
>> Where can I find this version?  http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/
>> Monticello doesn't seem to have it.  Do Avi's latest versions
>> contain this fix?
>>
> http://source.impara.de/mc
> Karl

Thanks Karl!

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

johnmci
Josh, you should pull the latest  Sophie-Quicktime package.

If this is a mac carbon vm, let me know and I'll send you a plugin
for testing. However it is not needed for
playing movies, it just makes playback a few percent faster.

On 18-Jan-06, at 8:54 AM, Josh Gargus wrote:

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: Quicktime in Squeak

stéphane ducasse-2
does it means that a merge is missing?
Can you check if the 3.9 includes the correct version and let us know.
Tx

Stef