Quicktime player

Chris Cunnington
OK, let me try another tack.

I'll approach this from what works. To recap:

SophieQuickTimeAudio openMovieFromURI:

should be a nice, simple way to start seeing some friendly functionality. It fails. And it doesn't fail in Smalltalk. It goes right into the FFI C code. It goes from here:

cachedQTClass := CPlatform current quicktimeInterfaceClass

to this:

cachedQTClass apiNewMovieFromDataRef: flags: id: handle: osType:

that leads here:

<cdecl: short 'NewMovieFromDataRef' (MacMovie* short MacShort* MacHandle MacOSType ) module:'Quicktime.framework'>

and that's not Smalltalk. To me that says C and QuicktimeAPI. And as this uses FFI to plug into the OS and the OS changes every month (unlike ten year old Morphs), then a river of changes erodes Sophie a little each day.

So that way is not accessible to me. But how about this: if I drag the "Compare and Contrast - Macbeth.sophie" file over the open image, then the three movies appear. And they can be played. If you could answer these questions, it'd help me get some purchase on what is working in the image I have.

1. How do I bring back the haloes, so I can click to identify things and dig into pieces?

2. Somehow the .sophie file is giving the image what it wants to find a movie. But it's a thicket of XML. Is there something I could extract from the .sophie file that I could execute in a workspace to make a movie play in the World?

3. Where are the Play/Pause/Reverse buttons coming from? The must be in the .sophie file, but where?

Answers to those questions would be a help.

Chris

Re: Quicktime player

johnmci

On 2010-09-04, at 4:53 PM, Chris Cunnington wrote:

OK, let me try another tack.

I'll approach this from what works. To recap:

SophieQuickTimeAudio openMovieFromURI:

should be a nice, simple way to start seeing some friendly functionality. It fails. And it doesn't fail in Smalltalk. It goes right into the FFI C code. It goes from here:

cachedQTClass := CPlatform current quicktimeInterfaceClass

That resolves what the QuickTime FFI class since since it's different for mac versus windows versus Linux (figment of hackers imagination).

to this:

cachedQTClass apiNewMovieFromDataRef: flags: id: handle: osType:

that leads here:

<cdecl: short 'NewMovieFromDataRef' (MacMovie* short MacShort* MacHandle MacOSType ) module:'Quicktime.framework'>

and that's not Smalltalk. To me that says C and QuicktimeAPI. And as this uses FFI to plug into the OS and the OS changes every month (unlike ten year old Morphs), then a river of changes erodes Sophie a little each day.

Actually that API is about 10 years old. You'll find it's not changed much in the last 10 years, in fact it's marked as legacy.

We need to know that the value of the 16 bit ("short") integer is that comes out of the api call to understand why it failed to create the Movie.
I note we don't use the NewMovieFromFile  because we could be dealing with movie data that is in memory or from the internet and does not exist on the file system.

So that way is not accessible to me. But how about this: if I drag the "Compare and Contrast - Macbeth.sophie" file over the open image, then the three movies appear. And they can be played. If you could answer these questions, it'd help me get some purchase on what is working in the image I have.

1. How do I bring back the haloes, so I can click to identify things and dig into pieces?

2. Somehow the .sophie file is giving the image what it wants to find a movie. But it's a thicket of XML. Is there something I could extract from the .sophie file that I could execute in a workspace to make a movie play in the World?

3. Where are the Play/Pause/Reverse buttons coming from? The must be in the .sophie file, but where?

You will need to provide your own view and view controller, you are not dragging the tweak and XML description language over from Sophie.

Answers to those questions would be a help.

Chris

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment