RC-3 ready

Frank Shearar-3
http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-RC3.tgz

* #enableIPv6: false
* files named Squeak4.4-RC3.(image|changes) (the script that creates
the candidate will, once we're happy, create 4.4-nnnn versioned
artifacts)

frank

Re: RC-3 ready

Bert Freudenberg
On 2012-12-18, at 16:58, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Also, should I even bother to test this image if you are planning to deploy yet another one without the "RC" in the name?

Yes. That's the whole point of having release candidates.

- Bert -

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 7:42 AM, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-RC3.tgz
>
> * #enableIPv6: false
> * files named Squeak4.4-RC3.(image|changes) (the script that creates
> the candidate will, once we're happy, create 4.4-nnnn versioned
> artifacts)
>
> frank

Re: RC-3 ready

Chris Muller-3
>> Also, should I even bother to test this image if you are planning to deploy yet another one without the "RC" in the name?
>
> Yes. That's the whole point of having release candidates.

But then the actual release image does not get tested!

It can't be a true candidate unless it's THE one that will be
released.  We will not release something named RC3.  We should name it
for real now.

Re: RC-3 ready

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 December 2012 16:10, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Also, should I even bother to test this image if you are planning to deploy yet another one without the "RC" in the name?
>>
>> Yes. That's the whole point of having release candidates.
>
> But then the actual release image does not get tested!
>
> It can't be a true candidate unless it's THE one that will be
> released.  We will not release something named RC3.  We should name it
> for real now.

I don't understand this. It's an image that contains the current best
guess at what will finally be released. It may well contain things
that aren't right, so MUST be tested by people. I _expect_ things to
change. Who cares what it's named, other than that it's named
differently to any other RC?

In particular, I _cannot_ version the artifact "correctly" at the
moment. I have seen no stamp of approval from anyone regarding my
ReleaseBuilder and Morphic changes, so my release process moves the
latest successful build (which has been tested on the Linux platform)
past trunk. If people are happy with what I've done so far, let's move
the ReleaseBuilder/Morphic inbox submissions into trunk and I'll
continue hacking directly on trunk.

I see no need to touch Morphic again (unless we want to strip out the
mention of unloadAllKnownPackages because of the current GetText
unloading issues), and changes to ReleaseBuilder won't affect other
users. So if we push these to trunk, I'll happily start producing
properly versioned artifacts. (Ideally, Jenkins would do this
automatically on an all-green build, but we have neither the script
nor the green light to do this.)

frank

Re: RC-3 ready

Chris Muller-3
> In particular, I _cannot_ version the artifact "correctly" at the
> moment. I have seen no stamp of approval from anyone regarding my
> ReleaseBuilder and Morphic changes, so my release process moves the
> latest successful build (which has been tested on the Linux platform)
> past trunk. If people are happy with what I've done so far, let's move
> the ReleaseBuilder/Morphic inbox submissions into trunk and I'll
> continue hacking directly on trunk.

With this community, you may regard "no objection within a few days"
as a "stamp of approval".  These changes you refer to are preferential
in nature, they need to be moved to trunk prior to release.

Also #transferCurrentPackages needs be called as part of the release
process; I see it has not as of yet.

> I see no need to touch Morphic again (unless we want to strip out the
> mention of unloadAllKnownPackages because of the current GetText
> unloading issues),

Unless that is a show-stopper for 4.4 we're past the point of any sort
of clean-up changes.

Re: RC-3 ready

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 December 2012 16:59, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> In particular, I _cannot_ version the artifact "correctly" at the
>> moment. I have seen no stamp of approval from anyone regarding my
>> ReleaseBuilder and Morphic changes, so my release process moves the
>> latest successful build (which has been tested on the Linux platform)
>> past trunk. If people are happy with what I've done so far, let's move
>> the ReleaseBuilder/Morphic inbox submissions into trunk and I'll
>> continue hacking directly on trunk.
>
> With this community, you may regard "no objection within a few days"
> as a "stamp of approval".  These changes you refer to are preferential
> in nature, they need to be moved to trunk prior to release.
>
> Also #transferCurrentPackages needs be called as part of the release
> process; I see it has not as of yet.

Correct, it has not.

>> I see no need to touch Morphic again (unless we want to strip out the
>> mention of unloadAllKnownPackages because of the current GetText
>> unloading issues),
>
> Unless that is a show-stopper for 4.4 we're past the point of any sort
> of clean-up changes.

Good!

frank

Re: RC-3 ready

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 December 2012 16:59, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> In particular, I _cannot_ version the artifact "correctly" at the
>> moment. I have seen no stamp of approval from anyone regarding my
>> ReleaseBuilder and Morphic changes, so my release process moves the
>> latest successful build (which has been tested on the Linux platform)
>> past trunk. If people are happy with what I've done so far, let's move
>> the ReleaseBuilder/Morphic inbox submissions into trunk and I'll
>> continue hacking directly on trunk.
>
> With this community, you may regard "no objection within a few days"
> as a "stamp of approval".  These changes you refer to are preferential
> in nature, they need to be moved to trunk prior to release.

Do we prefer complete histories - moving Morphic-fbs.(629, 630, 631)
into trunk - or do we only care about the final result - moving just
Morphic-fbs.631? (I prefer the latter in my own work, but trunk isn't
only my repo.)

frank

Re: RC-3 ready

Frank Shearar-3
On 18 December 2012 17:23, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18 December 2012 16:59, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> In particular, I _cannot_ version the artifact "correctly" at the
>>> moment. I have seen no stamp of approval from anyone regarding my
>>> ReleaseBuilder and Morphic changes, so my release process moves the
>>> latest successful build (which has been tested on the Linux platform)
>>> past trunk. If people are happy with what I've done so far, let's move
>>> the ReleaseBuilder/Morphic inbox submissions into trunk and I'll
>>> continue hacking directly on trunk.
>>
>> With this community, you may regard "no objection within a few days"
>> as a "stamp of approval".  These changes you refer to are preferential
>> in nature, they need to be moved to trunk prior to release.
>
> Do we prefer complete histories - moving Morphic-fbs.(629, 630, 631)
> into trunk - or do we only care about the final result - moving just
> Morphic-fbs.631? (I prefer the latter in my own work, but trunk isn't
> only my repo.)

Sorry, I prefer the FORMER in my work - having complete histories.

> frank

Re: RC-3 ready

Stéphane Rollandin
> http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak4.4-RC3.tgz

When moving a method from one category into the other, I ran into a
strange error:

        TransferMorph>>#dropNotifyRecipient

instead of doing its job do

        self isThisEverCalled

So: yes, it is called, and plus: I find it rather rude to break my
workflow with such questions.

Could we remove all #isThisEverCalled sends from the release image ?
Because I don't think it's the responsibility of the end user to help
developers know what should be deprecated. Especially by raising a
debugger at their face...

Re: RC-3 ready

Stéphane Rollandin
Just to be clear:

TransferMorph>>#dropNotifyRecipient does not seem to be used in the
trunk image: it's used in my own (old) code; the point here is that I
would rather like an error due to the fact that #dropNotifyRecipient has
actually been deprecated and is just missing, or even an error telling
me it's going to be deprecated soon, better than having an artificial
error looking like a leftover from a clean-up operation.

Actually now that I think of it, the best would be a specific Error or
Warning telling the method is on the death row, plus a preference
allowing all these exceptions to be ignored (this would be by default)
or raised (this would be "package transition mode", which I turn on when
I want to see if my code uses deprecated stuff or not).

Does it make sense ?

Stef

> When moving a method from one category into the other, I ran into a
> strange error:
>
> TransferMorph>>#dropNotifyRecipient
>
> instead of doing its job do
>
> self isThisEverCalled
>
> So: yes, it is called, and plus: I find it rather rude to break my
> workflow with such questions.
>
> Could we remove all #isThisEverCalled sends from the release image ?
> Because I don't think it's the responsibility of the end user to help
> developers know what should be deprecated. Especially by raising a
> debugger at their face...
>

> Stef

Re: RC-3 ready

Chris Muller-3
> TransferMorph>>#dropNotifyRecipient does not seem to be used in the trunk
> image: it's used in my own (old) code; the point here is that I would rather
> like an error due to the fact that #dropNotifyRecipient has actually been
> deprecated and is just missing, or even an error telling me it's going to be
> deprecated soon, better than having an artificial error looking like a
> leftover from a clean-up operation.
>
> Actually now that I think of it, the best would be a specific Error or
> Warning telling the method is on the death row, plus a preference allowing
> all these exceptions to be ignored (this would be by default) or raised
> (this would be "package transition mode", which I turn on when I want to see
> if my code uses deprecated stuff or not).

Yes that's how #deprecated: works.  Do you want to submit some package
updates then?  The release manager can decide whether he wants to
include them in 4.4.

Re: RC-3 ready

Stéphane Rollandin

> Yes that's how #deprecated: works.

Wow. I'm really good at designing stuff since I have the same idea than
what is already there. Too bad I was not aware of it :) Ok I'm going to
turn the showDeprecationWarnings on now that I know it exists...

But then, why not use #deprecated: instead of #isThisEverCalled ?

> Do you want to submit some package
> updates then?

No, this is all muO stuff. I have overriden lots of methods over the
years and now it is hitting me back.

Re: RC-3 ready

Chris Muller-4
> But then, why not use #deprecated: instead of #isThisEverCalled ?

Good question.  In a practical sense, the way #deprecated: works would
seems to fit just right.

I think #isThisEverCalled comes up when a developer wants to actually
remove a method because they've designed it out.  But rather than
delete it outright, there is a desire to be more conservative about
its final removal, just in case.

I just added removing them to the 4.5 list.
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6189  .  Great idea to make that Frank!
Maybe it will help in building 4.5's release notes some day..

Re: RC-3 ready

Bob Arning-2
I started up and ran all tests. Here are some results:

1. I got a request for my initials and entered them quickly.

2. This occurred early in the run:

Socket>>primitiveFailed:
Socket(Object)>>primitiveFailed
Socket>>primSocketReceiveDataAvailable:
Socket>>waitForDataIfClosed:
Socket>>receiveDataInto:startingAt:
[] in [] in SocketTest>>testSocketReuse
[] in BlockClosure>>newProcess

3. I got more than a few messages from OS/X (10.7) asking if it was ok for Squeak to accept incoming network connections. They went away very quickly and did not seem to cause problems.

4. This occurred after the run when I clicked on the lower right pane of the TestRunner:

OrderedCollection(Object)>>error:
OrderedCollection(Collection)>>errorNotFound:
[] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect:
OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect:ifNone:
OrderedCollection(Collection)>>detect:
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>findListContaining:
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>clickOnListItem:
MCSnapshotBrowserTest>>testCategorySelected
MCSnapshotBrowserTest(TestCase)>>performTest
[] in [] in MCSnapshotBrowserTest(TestCase)>>runCase
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in MCSnapshotBrowserTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MCSnapshotBrowserTest(TestCase)>>timeout:after:
[] in MCSnapshotBrowserTest(TestCase)>>runCase
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MCSnapshotBrowserTest(TestCase)>>runCase
[] in MCSnapshotBrowserTest(TestCase)>>debug
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MCSnapshotBrowserTest(TestCase)>>debug
[] in TestRunner>>debugSuite:
[] in [] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress:every:
OrderedCollection>>do:
[] in OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress:every:
[] in [] in MorphicUIManager>>displayProgress:at:from:to:during:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
[] in MorphicUIManager>>displayProgress:at:from:to:during:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
MorphicUIManager>>displayProgress:at:from:to:during:
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultResumeValue
ProgressInitiationException(Exception)>>resume
ProgressInitiationException>>defaultAction
UndefinedObject>>handleSignal:
MethodContext(ContextPart)>>handleSignal:
ProgressInitiationException(Exception)>>signal
ProgressInitiationException>>display:at:from:to:during:
ProgressInitiationException class>>display:at:from:to:during:
ByteString(String)>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:
ByteString(String)>>displayProgressFrom:to:during:
OrderedCollection(Collection)>>do:displayingProgress:every:
[] in TestRunner>>basicRunSuite:do:
BlockClosure>>ensure:
TestRunner>>basicRunSuite:do:
TestRunner>>debugSuite:
TestRunner>>debug:
TestRunner>>errorSelected:
PluggableListMorphPlus(PluggableListMorph)>>changeModelSelection:
PluggableListMorphPlus(PluggableListMorph)>>mouseUp:
PluggableListMorphPlus(Morph)>>handleMouseUp:
MouseButtonEvent>>sentTo:
PluggableListMorphPlus(Morph)>>handleEvent:
PluggableListMorphPlus(Morph)>>handleFocusEvent:
[] in HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
BlockClosure>>on:do:
PasteUpMorph>>becomeActiveDuring:
HandMorph>>sendFocusEvent:to:clear:
HandMorph>>sendEvent:focus:clear: