RE: Look/feel improvements (was Re: Smalltalk: Requiem or

RE: Look/feel improvements (was Re: Smalltalk: Requiem or

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I do not for a moment belive that anything we do to the Squeak UI will
result in sudden stampede to consider Smalltalk a mainstream language.
I also believe it really does not matter very much.

What _does_ matter is that the environment serve its users, and for
thosee users who are in fact developers, that it serve their (end)
users.  In that regard, there is much room for improvement.

If wxSqueak takes off, I will almost certainly use it, but I am just as
happy (sometimes much happier[*]) with emulated widgets.  A nice look is
useful, a configurable look more so; feel is critical.  Another aspect
of wxSqueak is an MVP framework; that would be wonderful to have.

3.9 continues a trend of improvement in the UI.  I will put in a
shameless plug for #0003590 on mantis.  Therein I have tried to fix up
an annoying tendency for keyboard focus to get snagged by lists, and
have reversed the active/inactive system window stripe colors.  IMHO,
the latter is a huge improvement.

Bill

[*] the native stuff tends not to scale well to thousands of widgets,
which seems to arise often in my work.

=================
+1
And multiple windows!  I like the idea of integrating wxSqueak into the
main
line.

Ron Teitelbaum

Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.
University of Florida
Department of Anesthesiology
PO Box 100254
Gainesville, FL 32610-0254

Email: [hidden email]
Tel: (352) 846-1285
FAX: (352) 392-7029

RE: Look/feel improvements (was Re: Smalltalk: Requiem or

Sebastián Sastre
> If wxSqueak takes off, I will almost certainly use it, but I
> am just as happy (sometimes much happier[*]) with emulated
> widgets.  A nice look is useful, a configurable look more so;
> feel is critical.  Another aspect of wxSqueak is an MVP
> framework; that would be wonderful to have.

I totally agree with this,

Regards,

Sebastian