RE: [Pharo-project] OSProcess update (was: [OSProcess] Proposal for Pharo 1.2 compatibility)

RE: [Pharo-project] OSProcess update (was: [OSProcess] Proposal for Pharo 1.2 compatibility)

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Dave,

Does that mean that PipeableOSProcess can load w/o MVC support?  That would be great!

You've just reminded me that there is a Windows plugin - for a long time, I thought it was necessary to use ProcessWrapper there.  I don't have much need for piping on Windows, but one never knows when it might surface again.  Is there a binary for the plugin?  I find the Linux VM wanting in diagnostic feedback, so I end up hacking and building it from source, but the Windows VM seems to just work as-is; I have not needed to build it for a long time.  In fairness, I don't ask much of Windows these days, but I do need to target it.

Bill

RE: [Pharo-project] OSProcess update (was: [OSProcess] Proposal for Pharo 1.2 compatibility)

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:24:38PM -0500, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
> Dave,
>
> Does that mean that PipeableOSProcess can load w/o MVC support?  That would be great!

Yes. The SqS/CommandShell package is split into sub-packages, so you do
not need to load CommandShell-MVC if you do not want it.

As always, for Squeak images the easiest thing is to just load the latest
version of the full OSProcess and CommandShell packages, which are always
up to date for Squeak trunk. On Pharo, you may want to skip the MVC package
and also load CommandShellPharo if you want menu registration, but otherwise
they are the same.

The only new information of interest for Squeak is that folks running
Cog on Linux should update their OSProcess to the latest version,
otherwise OSProcess can crash the VM with X11 protocol errors
when attempting a #forkSqueak.

> You've just reminded me that there is a Windows plugin - for a long time, I thought it was necessary to use ProcessWrapper there.  I don't have much need for piping on Windows, but one never knows when it might surface again.  Is there a binary for the plugin?  I find the Linux VM wanting in diagnostic feedback, so I end up hacking and building it from source, but the Windows VM seems to just work as-is; I have not needed to build it for a long time.  In fairness, I don't ask much of Windows these days, but I do need to target it.
>
> Bill

I think that ProcessWrapper is the best way to go for Windows right now.

Dave