RE: Squeak and bluetooth

Davide Varvello-2
Hi All, Alan,
Everything's fine, the vm sees the plugin if I put it in Contents/MacOS/ directory. For my own sake, I also tried with a 3.7 mac vm (http://ftp.squeak.org/3.7/mac/Squeak3.7-5989-MacOS-Full.sit) with no success, of course.
Anyway why there is a so old version of ObjectiveCPlugin in the squeak 3.7-7 release?

Thanks
 Davide

Re: Squeak and bluetooth

Alain Fischer
hi Davide,

Le 15 janv. 06, à 18:35, Davide Varvello a écrit :

> Hi All, Alan,
> Everything's fine, the vm sees the plugin if I put it in
> Contents/MacOS/ directory. For my own sake, I also tried with a 3.7
> mac vm (http://ftp.squeak.org/3.7/mac/Squeak3.7-5989-MacOS-Full.sit)
> with no success, of course.

The ObjectiveCPlugin has been written and tested only with unix Mac VM.
I never tried it on the carbon Mac VM and I suspect thatthe problem is
that the plugin
is not located where the VM search for plugin.

> Anyway why there is a so old version of ObjectiveCPlugin in the squeak
> 3.7-7 release?

The ObjectiveCPlugin that is in the unix squeak 3.7-7 vm is a very old
one made originaly
by Marcel Weiher. in march and april 2004, I decided to rewrote from
scratch the plugin.
After that Avi Bryant and Todd Blanchard joined the project to add
several features like
callback, browser with cocoa look and some other.
I remember a mail with Ian Piumarta about this plugin and it must be
removed (the old one)
to be replaced once the new plugin has been a little more tested but
time and interest
for this project has decreased ... but I don't desesparate to have a
full cocoa squeak
one day. Now I am more involved with embedded programming in C :-(

> Thanks
>  Davide

RE: Squeak and bluetooth

Davide Varvello-2
Hi Alan

________________________________

Le 15 janv. 06, à 18:35, Davide Varvello a écrit :

> Hi All, Alan,
> Everything's fine, the vm sees the plugin if I put it in
> Contents/MacOS/ directory. For my own sake, I also tried with a 3.7
> mac vm (http://ftp.squeak.org/3.7/mac/Squeak3.7-5989-MacOS-Full.sit)
> with no success, of course.

The ObjectiveCPlugin has been written and tested only with unix Mac VM.
I never tried it on the carbon Mac VM and I suspect thatthe problem is
that the plugin
is not located where the VM search for plugin.

I don't think so, I pu the plugin in several directories one at a time, with no luck. The vm can find the plugin but there is an error during the inizialize of the ObjcBridge class. If oyou are interested I can send you the SqueakDebug.log

> Anyway why there is a so old version of ObjectiveCPlugin in the squeak
> 3.7-7 release?

The ObjectiveCPlugin that is in the unix squeak 3.7-7 vm is a very old
one made originaly
by Marcel Weiher. in march and april 2004, I decided to rewrote from
scratch the plugin.

and I thank you for the effort.

After that Avi Bryant and Todd Blanchard joined the project to add
several features like
callback, browser with cocoa look and some other.
I remember a mail with Ian Piumarta about this plugin and it must be
removed (the old one)
to be replaced once the new plugin has been a little more tested but
time and interest
for this project has decreased ... but I don't desesparate to have a
full cocoa squeak
one day.

so do I.

Now I am more involved with embedded programming in C :-(

brrrrrr.

Bye

 Davide

> Thanks
>  Davide

winmail.dat (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Squeak and bluetooth

Alain Fischer

On 16 janv. 06, at 09:23, Davide Varvello wrote:

> Hi Alan
>
> ________________________________

My suspicion was wrong then. Where did you put the plugin in the
application directory tree when the plugin was able to load ?

>> Anyway why there is a so old version of ObjectiveCPlugin in the
>> squeak
>> 3.7-7 release?
>
> The ObjectiveCPlugin that is in the unix squeak 3.7-7 vm is a very old
> one made originaly
> by Marcel Weiher. in march and april 2004, I decided to rewrote from
> scratch the plugin.
>
> and I thank you for the effort.
>

> After that Avi Bryant and Todd Blanchard joined the project to add
> several features like
> callback, browser with cocoa look and some other.
> I remember a mail with Ian Piumarta about this plugin and it must be
> removed (the old one)
> to be replaced once the new plugin has been a little more tested but
> time and interest
> for this project has decreased ... but I don't desesparate to have a
> full cocoa squeak
> one day.
>
> so do I.
>
> Now I am more involved with embedded programming in C :-(
>

> brrrrrr.
>
> Bye
>
>  Davide
>

>> Thanks
>>  Davide

Re: Squeak and bluetooth

Davide Varvello-2
Hi Alan

>> I don't think so, I pu the plugin in several directories one at a
>> time, with no luck. The vm can find the plugin but there is an
>> error during the inizialize of the ObjcBridge class. If oyou are
>> interested I can send you the SqueakDebug.log
>
> My suspicion was wrong then. Where did you put the plugin in the
> application directory tree when the plugin was able to load ?

I made three attempts:

1) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7
2) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7/Plugins
3) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7/Squeak 3.7.5Beta1.app/Contents/MacOS

nothing works.
Davide

Re: Squeak and bluetooth

Alain Fischer
Davide,

When you say: "The vm can find the plugin" are you sure ?
What have you used to verify this ? Smalltalk listLoadedModules ?
Because I tried just now to put ObjectiveCPlugin in "Squeak\
3.8.6Beta6.app/Contents/MacOS/"
in "Plugins/" and in ""
and this doesn't work I have always 'a primitive has failed'.
This is normal since the convntion to search for a plugin is
different for the CarbonMac than for the UnixMac VM.
But I just see that all seem to work nice for you wit the UnixMac VM.

Alain

On 17 janv. 06, at 13:55, Davide Varvello wrote:

> Hi Alan
>
>>> I don't think so, I pu the plugin in several directories one at a
>>> time, with no luck. The vm can find the plugin but there is an
>>> error during the inizialize of the ObjcBridge class. If oyou are
>>> interested I can send you the SqueakDebug.log
>>
>> My suspicion was wrong then. Where did you put the plugin in the
>> application directory tree when the plugin was able to load ?
>

> I made three attempts:
>
> 1) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7
> 2) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7/Plugins
> 3) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7/Squeak 3.7.5Beta1.app/Contents/MacOS
>
> nothing works.
> Davide

Re: Squeak and bluetooth

Davide Varvello-2
Hi Alain,

On 17 Jan 2006, at 14:46, Alain Fischer wrote:

> Davide,
>
> When you say: "The vm can find the plugin" are you sure ?

You are right, the stack trace tells: "a primitive has failed" and
Smalltalk listLoadedModules don't show the plugin. So... what do you
mean with: "the convention to search for a plugin is different" i.e.
what can I change to load the plugin into a carbon vm?
Thanks
  Davide

> What have you used to verify this ? Smalltalk listLoadedModules ?
> Because I tried just now to put ObjectiveCPlugin in "Squeak\
> 3.8.6Beta6.app/Contents/MacOS/"
> in "Plugins/" and in ""
> and this doesn't work I have always 'a primitive has failed'.
> This is normal since the convntion to search for a plugin is
> different for the CarbonMac than for the UnixMac VM.
> But I just see that all seem to work nice for you wit the UnixMac VM.
>
> Alain
>

> On 17 janv. 06, at 13:55, Davide Varvello wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan

>>> My suspicion was wrong then. Where did you put the plugin in the
>>> application directory tree when the plugin was able to load ?
>>

>> I made three attempts:
>>
>> 1) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7
>> 2) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7/Plugins
>> 3) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7/Squeak 3.7.5Beta1.app/Contents/MacOS
>>
>> nothing works.
>> Davide

Re: Squeak and bluetooth

johnmci
The carbon VM only understand Bundles. However is some wants to test
this I'll generate a new VM that, after trying bundles, then will
invoke the unix vm load plugin logic.
However I'll need someone to test this feature.

On 17-Jan-06, at 9:51 AM, Davide Varvello wrote:

> Hi Alain,
>
> On 17 Jan 2006, at 14:46, Alain Fischer wrote:
>
>> Davide,
>>
>> When you say: "The vm can find the plugin" are you sure ?
>
> You are right, the stack trace tells: "a primitive has failed" and
> Smalltalk listLoadedModules don't show the plugin. So... what do
> you mean with: "the convention to search for a plugin is different"
> i.e. what can I change to load the plugin into a carbon vm?
> Thanks
>  Davide
>
>> What have you used to verify this ? Smalltalk listLoadedModules ?
>> Because I tried just now to put ObjectiveCPlugin in "Squeak\
>> 3.8.6Beta6.app/Contents/MacOS/"
>> in "Plugins/" and in ""
>> and this doesn't work I have always 'a primitive has failed'.
>> This is normal since the convntion to search for a plugin is
>> different for the CarbonMac than for the UnixMac VM.
>> But I just see that all seem to work nice for you wit the UnixMac VM.
>>
>> Alain
>>

>> On 17 janv. 06, at 13:55, Davide Varvello wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Alan

>>> I made three attempts:
>>>
>>> 1) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7
>>> 2) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7/Plugins
>>> 3) /Users/davide/Squeak3.7/Squeak 3.7.5Beta1.app/Contents/MacOS
>>>
>>> nothing works.
>>> Davide

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
===

Re: Squeak and bluetooth

Alain Fischer
Well ... adding more search space for plugin could slow plugin loading.
I tried a quick hack as a workaround and it worked:

1) Create a Carbon bundle project with XCode named ObjectiveCPlugin
2) Compile it
3) Open the generated bundle and replace the genarted binary
ObjectiveCPlugin in "ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/"
    with the ObjectiveCPlugin for the unix mac VM
4) Put the ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle in the Plugins directory

Alain

On 18 janv. 06, at 10:29, John M McIntosh wrote:

> The carbon VM only understand Bundles. However is some wants to
> test this I'll generate a new VM that, after trying bundles, then
> will invoke the unix vm load plugin logic.
> However I'll need someone to test this feature.
>

> On 17-Jan-06, at 9:51 AM, Davide Varvello wrote:
>
>> Hi Alain,
>>
>> On 17 Jan 2006, at 14:46, Alain Fischer wrote:
>>
>>> Davide,
>>>
>>> When you say: "The vm can find the plugin" are you sure ?
>>
>> You are right, the stack trace tells: "a primitive has failed" and
>> Smalltalk listLoadedModules don't show the plugin. So... what do
>> you mean with: "the convention to search for a plugin is
>> different" i.e. what can I change to load the plugin into a carbon
>> vm?
>> Thanks
>>  Davide
>>
>>> What have you used to verify this ? Smalltalk listLoadedModules ?
>>> Because I tried just now to put ObjectiveCPlugin in "Squeak\
>>> 3.8.6Beta6.app/Contents/MacOS/"
>>> in "Plugins/" and in ""
>>> and this doesn't work I have always 'a primitive has failed'.
>>> This is normal since the convntion to search for a plugin is
>>> different for the CarbonMac than for the UnixMac VM.
>>> But I just see that all seem to work nice for you wit the UnixMac
>>> VM.
>>>
>>> Alain

> =====
> John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]> 1-800-477-2659
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://
> www.smalltalkconsulting.com
> =====

RE: Squeak and bluetooth

Davide Varvello-2
Nice trick!!

bye
 Davide

Well ... adding more search space for plugin could slow plugin loading.
I tried a quick hack as a workaround and it worked:

1) Create a Carbon bundle project with XCode named ObjectiveCPlugin
2) Compile it
3) Open the generated bundle and replace the genarted binary
ObjectiveCPlugin in "ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/"
    with the ObjectiveCPlugin for the unix mac VM
4) Put the ObjectiveCPlugin.bundle in the Plugins directory

Alain

winmail.dat (3K) Download Attachment