RFB-VNC vs RemoteFrameBuffer

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez
In squeak universes there are two options for a VNC server:

- RemoteFrameBuffer version 34:
Category: Network
Maintained by: Damien Cassou <[hidden email]>
Downloads from: http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB/RFB-ikp.3.mcz

where RFB-ikp.3.mcz if from Ian Piumarta from 2007-02-20 06:12:40

- RFB-VNC 1.0:
Maintained by: ikp
Downloads from: http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB/RFB-ikp.3.mcz
Homepage: http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB

this is the same monticello from RemoteFrameBuffer version 34, so I
suppose this is just a repackaging with a more meaningful name.

- RFB-VNC 1.2
Maintained by: ikp
Downloads from: http://source.lukas-renggli.ch/unsorted/RFB-lr.10.mcz
Homepage: http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB

Although this version has the same homepage that the version 1.0, it
specifies also Lukas' site. From Lukas squeaksource:

Filename: RFB-lr.10.mcz
Author: Lukas Renggli
Timestamp: 21 December 2008 10:23:08 am
UUID: 491315b5-d566-4240-8a15-55be3a27619a
Ancestors: RFB-lr.9.mcz
Message: - made it work in the latest pharo
Downloads: Web: 16
Squeak: 2

So, according to this, the RFB-VNC 1.2 is the version that is and will
be (at least for pharo will be) maintained.

Lukas, is this correct? Should I use RFB-VNC 1.2?

Thanks,
Miguel Cobá

Re: RFB-VNC vs RemoteFrameBuffer

Lukas Renggli
> Lukas, is this correct? Should I use RFB-VNC 1.2?

Most certainly you **do not** want the version from my repository.
This is a customized version that I use to deploy images on my
servers. I patched it so that it works in earlier Pharo images.
Furthermore, I changed the default settings and removed some of the
confirmation dialogs that made it difficult for me to use.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> Lukas, is this correct? Should I use RFB-VNC 1.2?
>
> Most certainly you **do not** want the version from my repository.
> This is a customized version that I use to deploy images on my
> servers. I patched it so that it works in earlier Pharo images.
> Furthermore, I changed the default settings and removed some of the
> confirmation dialogs that made it difficult for me to use.
>
> Lukas

But I suppose that this version will be the maintained for Pharo. Isn't?

I installed RFB-VNC version 1.2 using Universe Browser (enhanced) in a
clean sq3.10.2-7179web09.02.1 image from Damien Cassou.
This installed RFB-lr.10.
I have tested it with xtightvncviewer version 1.3.9-4 in Debian
GNU/Linux 5.0 using:

$ xtightvncviewer -encodings "hextile" -depth 8 localhost:0

And it works without a problem.

I think I will use it for a while and if it fails, I will downgrade it
to RFB-VNC 1.0 from Universes, although I think that it won't be necessary.

Thank you for the info,
Miguel Cobá