RISC OS Pi in the workshop

Chris Cunnington
http://osrcon.ca/pie.jpeg

First pic of the first boot of the RISC OS Pi in Tim's workshop.

Chris

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

timrowledge

On 19-12-2012, at 11:57 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://osrcon.ca/pie.jpeg
>
> First pic of the first boot of the RISC OS Pi in Tim's workshop.

And it's even running Squeak now, albeit only v3.8; something I changed for 3.9 in the vm makes it go very funny… even though that used to work just fine on Ye Olde Iyonix. I expect it will be something stupidly silly when I find it.

tim
Strange OpCodes: RSC: Rewind System Clock

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 10:29:06PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 19-12-2012, at 11:57 AM, Chris Cunnington <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > http://osrcon.ca/pie.jpeg
> >
> > First pic of the first boot of the RISC OS Pi in Tim's workshop.
>
> And it's even running Squeak now, albeit only v3.8; something I changed for 3.9 in the vm makes it go very funny? even though that used to work just fine on Ye Olde Iyonix. I expect it will be something stupidly silly when I find it.

Hi Tim,

Just guessing, but have a look at CCodeGenerator>>emitDefaultMacrosOn:
and the resulting macros in src/vm/interp.c. There are some macros that
I added in a attempt to keep some back compatibility with platforms sources
as new things were added in the interpreter. Some of these macros turned
out to be a Really Bad Idea, in particular I recall the macros for clock
functions made it look like the VM compiled without problems, but the
resulting VM did not work properly.

Dave

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

timrowledge
So far so good; some weird buglets in the particular version of the OS but Squeak is working reasonably well.
Host window code still works, too.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- IDIOS AMIGOS - We're wild and crazy guys!

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

Chris Cunnington

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

timrowledge
OK, RISC OS Pi squeak is now available as a tentative demo pre-alpha possibly useful maybe release at http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9-RISCOS.zip
If you try it and like it, remember to mentally thank Chris Cunnington for providing the dev-tools and the Pi Foundation for providing the tasty Pi. And offer up wishes for somebody realising that they need to *pay me* to develop stuff.

Apparently Scratch runs on it, though I haven't tried and wouldn't really have any current experience to judge it by.

tim
Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

Chris Cunnington
On 2013-01-08 6:42 PM, tim Rowledge wrote:

> OK, RISC OS Pi squeak is now available as a tentative demo pre-alpha possibly useful maybe release at http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9-RISCOS.zip
> If you try it and like it, remember to mentally thank Chris Cunnington for providing the dev-tools and the Pi Foundation for providing the tasty Pi. And offer up wishes for somebody realising that they need to *pay me* to develop stuff.
>
> Apparently Scratch runs on it, though I haven't tried and wouldn't really have any current experience to judge it by.
>
> tim
> Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Yea!

Chris

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 03:42:51PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:
> OK, RISC OS Pi squeak is now available as a tentative demo pre-alpha possibly useful maybe release at http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/Squeak3-9-RISCOS.zip
> If you try it and like it, remember to mentally thank Chris Cunnington for providing the dev-tools and the Pi Foundation for providing the tasty Pi. And offer up wishes for somebody realising that they need to *pay me* to develop stuff.
>
> Apparently Scratch runs on it, though I haven't tried and wouldn't really have any current experience to judge it by.

Hi Tim,

Very cool, and nice to see Squeak running again on STINU (*). I have to ask - were
you able to do this with an up to date VMMaker with closures etc? I confess that
I was a bit worried that the various changes to VMMaker since the last RISC OS
release would cause a real mess. Hopefully it was not too bad?

I do think that it would be a sad injustice if the RISC OS community was deprived
of the ability to run 64-bit Squeak images on Raspberry Pi. So I think you
should try compiling with -D SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD=8 and see if the resulting
vm can run a 64-bit image like the one here:

  http://squeakci.org/job/Squeak%2064-bit%20image/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/

Dave

(*) SomethingThatIsNotUnix

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

timrowledge

On 08-01-2013, at 5:34 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Very cool, and nice to see Squeak running again on STINU (*). I have to ask - were
> you able to do this with an up to date VMMaker with closures etc? I confess that
> I was a bit worried that the various changes to VMMaker since the last RISC OS
> release would cause a real mess. Hopefully it was not too bad?

OK, this first go is a 3.9-ish VM for running up to a 4.0 image. Let's walk before we try to unicycle whilst juggling fusion powered chainsaws while blindfolded.

> I do think that it would be a sad injustice if the RISC OS community was deprived
> of the ability to run 64-bit Squeak images on Raspberry Pi. So I think you
> should try compiling with -D SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD=8 and see if the resulting
> vm can run a 64-bit image like the one here:

64 bit doesn't make any real sense on an ARMv7 or below cpu; let's wait for the upcoming ARMv8 cpus which will eat intel alive.

tim
All the simple programs have been written, and all the good names taken.

Re: RISC OS Pi in the workshop

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Jan 08, 2013 at 05:49:11PM -0800, tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 08-01-2013, at 5:34 PM, "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I do think that it would be a sad injustice if the RISC OS community was deprived
> > of the ability to run 64-bit Squeak images on Raspberry Pi. So I think you
> > should try compiling with -D SQ_VI_BYTES_PER_WORD=8 and see if the resulting
> > vm can run a 64-bit image like the one here:
>

> 64 bit doesn't make any real sense on an ARMv7 or below cpu; let's wait for the upcoming ARMv8 cpus which will eat intel alive.

sense? SENSE?!? who said anything about making sense? I think we should
do it just because we can.

Dave