Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All,

It is my understanding that one can use the GPIO pin(s) of a Raspberry Pi
to detect the caller id information of an incoming phone call.  Does anyone
have any experience with this?  Can you give me any pointers?

I started out trying to use a modem but the inexpensive USB modems don't
work with the current level of caller id info used here in the US.  So I
would like to do this without a modem.  Adding an inexpensive chip or no
chip would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Lou
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Re: Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

timrowledge

On 09-06-2015, at 3:35 PM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It is my understanding that one can use the GPIO pin(s) of a Raspberry Pi
> to detect the caller id information of an incoming phone call.  Does anyone
> have any experience with this?  Can you give me any pointers?

Best I can suggest is looking around the raspberrypi.org forums; there is a company making FXO cards for example, which may be the kind of thing you want. You can run Asterisk pbx and do VOIP stuff with a Pi and a suitable modem-thingy.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=86601 might be helpful.

tim
Strange OpCodes: FSM: Fold, Spindle and Mutilate

Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Tim,

Thanks a lot for the information.  I will look into it.

Lou

On 12-06-2015, at 11:11 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks a lot for the information.  I will look into it.

Do please report back on what you find. I have a very-back-burner project I’d love to do something with one day with which I’d like to make iPhones etc talk to a PI running asterisk and then to POTS so that one can answer and make calls via the house landline.

Very old and rusty website - https://sites.google.com/site/tcjspp/?pli=1 - resulting from a rather fun Coursera course I took.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- QUE SERA SERF - Life is feudal

Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hey Tim,

I will try to keep you informed.  The board you pointed me to seems like
overkill and at any rate is way more expensive than I can use as I would
like to build something and eventually sell it.

Someone from element14, the company here in the US where we can buy
Raspberries, said "No chip is needed, but you need to program the GPIO to
listen to a ring and then FSK the remaining information from a bleep.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question409.htm".  This seems like a
tremendous amount of work to get the GPIO to do and a lot of reinventing
the wheel.  I don't know for sure but I think there should be a chip that
can get the caller id info and pass it to the Raspberry (USB or other port)
and maybe even be able to handle the A/D-D/A conversion for recording and
playing of messages.

I'm trying to find a chip(s) that can do this and then maybe some help
wiring it to the Raspberry.

Thanks for your interest and any other thoughts you may have.

Lou

P.S.  I need permission to enter the site you pointed me to below.

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 10:20:43 -0700, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 12-06-2015, at 11:11 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Tim,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the information.  I will look into it.
>
>Do please report back on what you find. I have a very-back-burner project I’d love to do something with one day with which I’d like to make iPhones etc talk to a PI running asterisk and then to POTS so that one can answer and make calls via the house landline.
>
>Very old and rusty website - https://sites.google.com/site/tcjspp/?pli=1 - resulting from a rather fun Coursera course I took.
>
>tim
Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Re: Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Ben Coman
I was curious to see how much this might cost...
Maybe the HT9032C for $2 [1]
* application note [2]
* miscellaneous info [3]
* something similar [4]

[1] http://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-ic-ht9032c/2.html
[2] http://www.holtek.com/pdf/comm/9032v141.pdf
[3] http://www.microchip.com/forums/m22769.aspx
[4] https://bigdanzblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/testing-linksprite-caller-id-module-based-on-ht9032-with-a-pc/

cheers -ben

On 15-06-2015, at 6:43 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Tim,
>
> I will try to keep you informed.  The board you pointed me to seems like
> overkill and at any rate is way more expensive than I can use as I would
> like to build something and eventually sell it.

It’s quite a sophisticated bit of kit and probably does much more than you need.

> Someone from element14, the company here in the US where we can buy
> Raspberries, said "No chip is needed, but you need to program the GPIO to
> listen to a ring and then FSK the remaining information from a bleep.
> http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question409.htm".  This seems like a
> tremendous amount of work to get the GPIO to do and a lot of reinventing
> the wheel.  I don't know for sure but I think there should be a chip that
> can get the caller id info and pass it to the Raspberry (USB or other port)
> and maybe even be able to handle the A/D-D/A conversion for recording and
> playing of messages.
>
> I'm trying to find a chip(s) that can do this and then maybe some help
> wiring it to the Raspberry.

Have you tried the raspberrypi.org forums yet?

> Thanks for your interest and any other thoughts you may have.
>
> Lou
>
> P.S.  I need permission to enter the site you pointed me to below.

Oops, should be fixed now. It was set to private originally, now should be open.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare = I think some people in togas are plotting against me.

On 15-06-2015, at 8:26 AM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was curious to see how much this might cost...
> Maybe the HT9032C for $2 [1]
> * application note [2]
> * miscellaneous info [3]
> * something similar [4]
>
> [1] http://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-ic-ht9032c/2.html
> [2] http://www.holtek.com/pdf/comm/9032v141.pdf
> [3] http://www.microchip.com/forums/m22769.aspx
> [4] https://bigdanzblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/testing-linksprite-caller-id-module-based-on-ht9032-with-a-pc/

Thanks Ben - interesting list of pages.

tim
Oxymorons: Taped live

Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the interesting leads.  They will give me something to chew on.

Lou

On Mon, 15 Jun 2015 23:26:34 +0800, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I was curious to see how much this might cost...
>Maybe the HT9032C for $2 [1]
>* application note [2]
>* miscellaneous info [3]
>* something similar [4]
>
>[1] http://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-ic-ht9032c/2.html
>[2] http://www.holtek.com/pdf/comm/9032v141.pdf
>[3] http://www.microchip.com/forums/m22769.aspx
>[4] https://bigdanzblog.wordpress.com/2015/05/22/testing-linksprite-caller-id-module-based-on-ht9032-with-a-pc/
>
>cheers -ben
>
>On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Louis LaBrunda
><[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey Tim,
>>
>> I will try to keep you informed.  The board you pointed me to seems like
>> overkill and at any rate is way more expensive than I can use as I would
>> like to build something and eventually sell it.
>
>> Someone from element14, the company here in the US where we can buy
>> Raspberries, said "No chip is needed, but you need to program the GPIO to
>> listen to a ring and then FSK the remaining information from a bleep.
>> http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question409.htm".  This seems like a
>> tremendous amount of work to get the GPIO to do and a lot of reinventing
>> the wheel.  I don't know for sure but I think there should be a chip that
>> can get the caller id info and pass it to the Raspberry (USB or other port)
>> and maybe even be able to handle the A/D-D/A conversion for recording and
>> playing of messages.
>>
>> I'm trying to find a chip(s) that can do this and then maybe some help
>> wiring it to the Raspberry.
>>
>> Thanks for your interest and any other thoughts you may have.
>>
>> Lou
>>
>> P.S.  I need permission to enter the site you pointed me to below.

>>>Do please report back on what you find. I have a very-back-burner project I’d love to do something with one day with which I’d like to make iPhones etc talk to a PI running asterisk and then to POTS so that one can answer and make calls via the house landline.
>>>
>>>Very old and rusty website - https://sites.google.com/site/tcjspp/?pli=1 - resulting from a rather fun Coursera course I took.
>>>
>>>tim
>> Louis LaBrunda
>> Keystone Software Corp.
>> SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
>> mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Louis LaBrunda
Keystone Software Corp.
SkypeMe callto://PhotonDemon
mailto:[hidden email] http://www.Keystone-Software.com

Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Tim and Ben,

To answer Tim's question, I have looked around the Raspberry Pi forums but
the posts mostly talk about using a caller id enabled modem.  Unfortunately
the inexpensive ones don't support the latest version of caller id info
used here in the US (I have one that doesn't work).  I contacted the
manufacturer and they have no plans to keep making the modem, never mind
updating it to the latest caller id level.

One of the links that one of you gave me led me to a chip the CYG2020
http://parts.arrow.com/item/detail/ixys/cyg2020#RpgQ that looks good for
the job.  We may also need an LCA110
https://parts.arrow.com/item/detail/ixys/lca110#eygg.  I have ordered one
of each for about $22.50 including tax and shipping.

Now I need to learn enough about wiring them to a Raspberry without frying
everything.  Any help in that area will be great.

Lou

P.S.  I can point you to some PDF spec sheets if you want them.

On 16-06-2015, at 7:57 AM, Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Now I need to learn enough about wiring them to a Raspberry without frying
> everything.  Any help in that area will be great.

Since it seems we’re talking about a fairly small circuit here, consider treating yourself to an Explorer HAT  (http://shop.pimoroni.com/products/explorer-hat) for your Pi. I have a PRO version (since I didn’t have to pay for it) that I’m building Scratch support for, but it makes a nice little quick-build-mini-breadboard. Also listed by AdaFruit. If you like doing this sort of thing, consider a Wombat - http://www.gooligum.com.au/wombat-proto I got one off the kickstarter and it seems a really nice unit.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IA: Illogical And

Re: Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Ben Coman
On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:57 PM, Louis LaBrunda
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Tim and Ben,
>
> To answer Tim's question, I have looked around the Raspberry Pi forums but
> the posts mostly talk about using a caller id enabled modem.  Unfortunately
> the inexpensive ones don't support the latest version of caller id info
> used here in the US (I have one that doesn't work).  I contacted the
> manufacturer and they have no plans to keep making the modem, never mind
> updating it to the latest caller id level.
>
> One of the links that one of you gave me led me to a chip the CYG2020
> [1] http://parts.arrow.com/item/detail/ixys/cyg2020#RpgQ that looks good for
> the job.  We may also need an LCA110
> [2] https://parts.arrow.com/item/detail/ixys/lca110#eygg.  I have ordered one
> of each for about $22.50 including tax and shipping.
>
> Now I need to learn enough about wiring them to a Raspberry without frying
> everything.  Any help in that area will be great.
>
> Lou
>
> P.S.  I can point you to some PDF spec sheets if you want them.

btw also search for "application note" documents...
[3] http://www.ixysic.com/home/pdfs.nsf/www/AN-121.pdf/$file/AN-121.pdf

Where [1] said "Pins 13 & 14 should be connected to a 1-Form-A solid
state relay (Clare LCA110)"
confused me for a while.  I had assumed that CID1 & CID2 would provide
the Caller ID Output, but it seems actually they are an input to
enable the Caller ID Output to appear on LINE1 & LINE2.  If you only
want to use this for caller id and not voice/data, then I think you
can just short CID1 & CID2 together to permanently enable this mode.

In case its new to you, read about "Form 1A" contacts here
[4] http://www.siongboon.com/projects/2006-06-19_switch/

You might find this generally interesting for its layout guidelines
[5] http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/AN4863.pdf

also page 3 here which says "This is by far the most cost effective
way to implement the Caller ID path"...
[6] http://pdfserv.maximintegrated.com/en/an/AN5004.pdf

and some FCC requirements/protections...
[7] http://www.ixysic.com/home/pdfs.nsf/www/AN-124.pdf/$file/AN-124.pdf

The zeners across LINE1 & LINE 2 are said to limit voltage to Min =
-5V & Max = +5V per
page 3 of [3]  "Transient Voltage Protection on Line 1 and Line 2 (Pins 1,2)".
This is signal not compatible with the RPi's 3.3V GPIO pins.  You'd
need to use an interface circuit, maybe like the voltage divider
described at [8].   Probably one of LINE 1 or 2 would be tied to RPi's
ground but I'm not sure if the -5 to +5 volt zener clamping means you
end up with 5V or 10V that needs to be converted to 3.3V.
Alternatively you might use an OpAmp like bottom half of Figure 5 of
[3].
[8] http://elinux.org/RPi_GPIO_Interface_Circuits

Another option may be to use a 3.3V compatible device like this "Phone
Line Monitor"
[9] http://www.ixysic.com/home/pdfs.nsf/www/CPC5710N.pdf/$file/CPC5710N.pdf
or alternatively the MX602 where it looks like RXD may be a dedicated
pin for the caller id and anyway this has some interesting timing
diagrams
[10] http://www.cmlmicro.com/assets/MX602DB_R4.pdf

btw, Probably the RPi forums are a better place to discuss electrical
interfaces.

cheers -ben

Raspberry - GPIO - telephone caller id - Squeak

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Ben,

Thanks for all this.

>Where [1] said "Pins 13 & 14 should be connected to a 1-Form-A solid
>state relay (Clare LCA110)"
>confused me for a while.  I had assumed that CID1 & CID2 would provide
>the Caller ID Output, but it seems actually they are an input to
>enable the Caller ID Output to appear on LINE1 & LINE2.  If you only
>want to use this for caller id and not voice/data, then I think you
>can just short CID1 & CID2 together to permanently enable this mode.

I came to the same conclusion but for a buck 28 ($1.28) I bought a LCA110
anyway.  And now that I think about it, I do want to play a message from
the Raspberry out to the phone line and then be able to record an incoming
message from the phone line, so I may need the LCA110 to go from waiting
for the caller id to sending/getting messages.

>btw, Probably the RPi forums are a better place to discuss electrical
>interfaces.

I know.  Sorry about that.  I started here because I know that Tim plays
with the Raspberry a lot and I hoped he would have some ideas and give me a
place to start.  Thanks Tim.