Re: 3.10?

Pavel Krivanek
Hi Stef,

my plan for removing eToys is:
1) take Squeak 3.9 7061 (RC versions have obsolete classes so they are
problematic for me)
2) update RestOfSqueak package for it
3) create full image using KernelImage and RoS, this image has Morphic
initialized directly form source codes so it doesn't contain as much
mess official image (but has the same sources)
4) remove packages like speech etc.
5) try to remove most of eToys as safely as possible
6) try to remove everything what can be quite easily packaged
including all test and SUnit
7) create RestOfSqueak package from this package again and create full
image from it again
HERE
8) continue with next cleanup and eToys removing
9) when this image will be clean, create final RoS, and create
differential package that will not include code that is in current
primitive packages for the KernelImage (network, MC...)
10) maybe create differential package that will load the rest of the
code of the current image

The mark HERE is the state where I'm now:
http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/uploads/98/basicMorphic001.zip
This version has no eToys but it's far from clean system and still
includes Flaps and many morphic extras. Because you load Morphic to
GUI-less image, there are no obsoleteClasses, only Undeclared
references in code.  I quess that I may finish state 8 during next
week or so.

This image will not include flaps, paint tool etc. I think that this
tools should be in the basic system but I want to create minimal
morphic system. This tools can be in packages.

The most important thing for me is the new MC version that can be used
for this special big packages.

-- Pavel

On 11/4/06, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> do you want that we try to get a good 3.10?
> we could build a group of people willing to make a clean 3.10
> image.
> Do you have some ideas of people that we could contact?
>
> Stef
>
> I already said what I wanted to build
>
> I think that Squeak 10/4 should not be compatible to free us but at
> the same time it should prepare the
> coming of new assets (sophie/tweak).
>
> Here are the main actions I would like to see happening:
>
>         - be able to load Tweak
>
>         - be able to load Sophie infrastructural elements (ressource
> location...)
>         => even substitute current Squeak ones with sophie ones (Rome renderer)
>
>         - curve/remove Etoy/projects (without having to reload them)
>
>         - remove nebraska and others/ remove packages early in the process
>
>         - new compile method format if available else klaus fix for source
> limits
>
>         - may be newcompiler if ready
>
>         - aggressive cleans in a lot of areas
>
>         - look at Pavel overrides problems
>         => ideally be able to use Pavel image as a basis for 10/4
>
>         - Use tool builder (looking at the tool plus) and change the current
> tools
>         (the ones that deserve migration)
>
>         - more tests
>
>         - may be using MC2 if ready
>
>         - better integration of AST and refactoring support
>
> So if you want to help there on a regular basis or on specific items
> please say it
>
> Stef

Re: 3.10?

karl-8
Pavel Krivanek skrev:
> Hi Stef,
>
> my plan for removing eToys is:
> 1) take Squeak 3.9 7061 (RC versions have obsolete classes so they are
> problematic for me)
Do you have any other than aObsoleteMorphicModel ?
Karl

> [...]
>> renderer)
>>
>>         - curve/remove Etoy/projects (without having to reload them)
>>
>>         - remove nebraska and others/ remove packages early in the
>> process
>>
>>         - new compile method format if available else klaus fix for
>> source
>> limits
>>
>>         - may be newcompiler if ready
>>
>>         - aggressive cleans in a lot of areas
>>
>>         - look at Pavel overrides problems
>>         => ideally be able to use Pavel image as a basis for 10/4
>>
>>         - Use tool builder (looking at the tool plus) and change the
>> current
>> tools
>>         (the ones that deserve migration)
>>
>>         - more tests
>>
>>         - may be using MC2 if ready
>>
>>         - better integration of AST and refactoring support
>>
>> So if you want to help there on a regular basis or on specific items

Re: 3.10?

Pavel Krivanek
On 11/4/06, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Pavel Krivanek skrev:
> > Hi Stef,
> >
> > my plan for removing eToys is:
> > 1) take Squeak 3.9 7061 (RC versions have obsolete classes so they are
> > problematic for me)
> Do you have any other than aObsoleteMorphicModel ?
> Karl

Now I have none :-)

World setModel: MorphicModel new.
Behavior flushObsoleteSubclasses.
Smalltalk  cleanOutUndeclared.

But the next thing looks strange:

PasteUpMorph allInstances

-- Pavel

Re: 3.10?

Edgar J. De Cleene
Pavel Krivanek puso en su mail :

> my plan for removing eToys is:
> 1) take Squeak 3.9 7061 (RC versions have obsolete classes so they are
> problematic for me)
> 2) update RestOfSqueak package for it
> 3) create full image using KernelImage and RoS, this image has Morphic
> initialized directly form source codes so it doesn't contain as much
> mess official image (but has the same sources)
> 4) remove packages like speech etc.
> 5) try to remove most of eToys as safely as possible
> 6) try to remove everything what can be quite easily packaged
> including all test and SUnit
> 7) create RestOfSqueak package from this package again and create full
> image from it again
> HERE
> 8) continue with next cleanup and eToys removing
> 9) when this image will be clean, create final RoS, and create
> differential package that will not include code that is in current
> primitive packages for the KernelImage (network, MC...)
> 10) maybe create differential package that will load the rest of the
> code of the current image

I see you are very busy and glad you decide go to a minimal morphic without
Speech, Etoys , etc as I beg.

Could be Nebraska ripped too ?

So a real MinimalSqueak3.10.image ( and new sources for this) was the start
point of 2007 work ?

Thanks !!!

Edgar

Correo Yahoo!

Re: 3.10?

karl-8
Pavel Krivanek skrev:

> On 11/4/06, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Pavel Krivanek skrev:
>> > Hi Stef,
>> >
>> > my plan for removing eToys is:
>> > 1) take Squeak 3.9 7061 (RC versions have obsolete classes so they are
>> > problematic for me)
>> Do you have any other than aObsoleteMorphicModel ?
>> Karl
>
> Now I have none :-)
>
> World setModel: MorphicModel new.
> Behavior flushObsoleteSubclasses.
> Smalltalk  cleanOutUndeclared.
>
> But the next thing looks strange:
>
> PasteUpMorph allInstances

What exactly ?
Karl

Re: 3.10?

Pavel Krivanek
> I see you are very busy and glad you decide go to a minimal morphic without
> Speech, Etoys , etc as I beg.
>
> Could be Nebraska ripped too ?

It was one of the first packages I tried to remove.

> So a real MinimalSqueak3.10.image ( and new sources for this) was the start
> point of 2007 work ?

we will see...

-- Pavel

Re: 3.10?

Pavel Krivanek
On 11/4/06, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pavel Krivanek skrev:

> >> Do you have any other than aObsoleteMorphicModel ?
> >> Karl
> >
> > Now I have none :-)
> >
> > World setModel: MorphicModel new.
> > Behavior flushObsoleteSubclasses.
> > Smalltalk  cleanOutUndeclared.
> >
> > But the next thing looks strange:
> >
> > PasteUpMorph allInstances
> >
> What exactly ?
> Karl

ehh, they are part of flaps... I normally see PasteUpMorphs only for
worlds... :-) So I thought that it may be some forgotten mess... sorry

-- Pavel

Re: 3.10?

karl-8
Pavel Krivanek skrev:

>> I see you are very busy and glad you decide go to a minimal morphic
>> without
>> Speech, Etoys , etc as I beg.
>>
>> Could be Nebraska ripped too ?
>
> It was one of the first packages I tried to remove.
>
>> So a real MinimalSqueak3.10.image ( and new sources for this) was the
>> start
>> point of 2007 work ?
>
> we will see...
>
> -- Pavel

Are you using Monticello or change sets to keep track of your work ?

Karl

Re: 3.10?

karl-8
Pavel Krivanek skrev:

> On 11/4/06, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Pavel Krivanek skrev:

>> they are
>> >
>> > Now I have none :-)
>> >
>> > World setModel: MorphicModel new.
>> > Behavior flushObsoleteSubclasses.
>> > Smalltalk  cleanOutUndeclared.
>> >
>> > But the next thing looks strange:
>> >
>> > PasteUpMorph allInstances
>> >
>> What exactly ?
>> Karl
>
> ehh, they are part of flaps... I normally see PasteUpMorphs only for
> worlds... :-) So I thought that it may be some forgotten mess... sorry
Ah, I saw them too, but I destroyed all flaps and did a Smalltalk
garbageCollect and thing went back to normal.
Another issue I saw was that
SystemNavigation default unimplemented
shows 185 unimplemented methods.

Karl

Re: 3.10?

Pavel Krivanek
On 11/4/06, karl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pavel Krivanek skrev:
> >> I see you are very busy and glad you decide go to a minimal morphic
> >> without
> >> Speech, Etoys , etc as I beg.
> >>
> >> Could be Nebraska ripped too ?
> >
> > It was one of the first packages I tried to remove.
> >
> >> So a real MinimalSqueak3.10.image ( and new sources for this) was the
> >> start
> >> point of 2007 work ?
> >
> > we will see...
> >
> > -- Pavel
> >

> Are you using Monticello or change sets to keep track of your work ?
>
> Karl

Monticello cannot be used for it now. See
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-October/109816.html