Re[3]: Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

1 message Options

Re[3]: Smalltalk: Requiem or Resurgence? {Dr. Dobb's Journal (05/06/06) Chan, Jeremy}

Herbert König
Hello Bill,

HK> trainings I know there is a significant number of software _users_ who
HK> will not recognize a button if it's not grey and
HK>  ... like with M$.

this was meant literally, maybe I should have added, that I accepted
this. No disrespect towards these people.

The message of the sentence was meant to be: If your end users need
this M$ like button, you have to deliver it.

HK> I think it's the difference between people learning the rules and
HK> people memorising examples.

BS> It is not necessarily that pathetic.  Different users have different
You're right, it sounds pathetic :-))
BS> needs, and there are many of us who for one reason or another spend some
BS> time trying to meet them.

My English :-)). Actually it was meant like you explained. For these
users we sometimes leave the old UI for the old function in the old
place if we improve a function of our software.

Those people perform certain tasks in an efficient way and would loose
their efficiency otherwise.

All in all the message was meant as an argument that sometimes you
have to deliver a UI which meets the expectations even if you yourself
don't understand why this is so important.

Cheers,

Herbert                            mailto:[hidden email]