Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

David Mitchell-10
I'm on win2k pro and as soon as I install the DLLs from the Universe
Browser, the Squeak screen goes black and the processor pegs 100%. If
I press Ctrl+., the processor relents, but I don't get a refresh.

Troubleshooting steps:

Started with fresh Win32 download and Damien's squeak-web-118.image.
Open Package Universe Browser.
When the Preamble progress bar appears for Installing FreeType Plugins
0.13, Squeak stops responding. If I bring another window across it, it
doesn't redraw the screen.

At this point, I kill the Squeak process (after waiting several
minutes). Looking in the Squeak directory, I see I have a package
cache from the Universe Browser and these files copied in:

BitBltPlugin.dll
freetype6.dll
ft2plugin.dll
msvcr71.dll
credits.txt

Restarting any Squeak image at this point will show only a blank
screen (tried several of mine and Squeak3.9-final-7067.image). So I
think something isn't working at the VM level with the plugins.

I also recreated by trying again and only installing the Plugins. Same result.

I also tried clearing out my fonts (fell back to Arial, Times New
Roman, Courier, Symbol, and Wingdings, a la Windows 3.1; albeit with
OpenType). Also tried rebooting (I am on Windows).

Any ideas?

, starting any squeak image (even if I copy back an image without

On 5/1/07, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sheesh..  Total, utter, maximum Gorgeousity.  Thank you Andy, thank
> you.  This really lurches the look of my image forward a big step.
>
> I spent the whole day looking at my fonts.  I never thought it would
> happen, but I found something I like (a lot) better than Verdana for
> the code font.  It's called "Tw Cen MT (OpenType)" which I guess is
> "Twentieth Century".
>
> The Century fonts for other stuff are really gorgeous too.
>
> I got a new computer a couple of months of go with a high-res screen,
> so I'm enjoying "big" (>= 14-point) fonts with "no hinting".  It's
> high contrast and no jaggies at all.
>
> Thanks again!
>   Chris
>

> On 4/28/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is an official announcement that the FreeType Plus packages are now
> > released.
> >
> > You can download from SqueakMap, or via the Package Universe within a developer
> > Squeak (squeak-dev) image.
> >
> > I will be documenting various aspects of this on the wiki; at present you can
> > view some screenshots, and read some preliminary descriptions, at
> > http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5984
> >
> > It will work, to varying degrees, on Windows (98, 2000, XP, & Vista); Linux
> > (OpenSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, etc.); and Mac OS X.
> >
> > It requires an FT2Plugin, which is shipped with the Mac VM, and is available for
> > Windows/Linux via the FreeType Plus (plugins installer) package.
> >
> > To enable sub-pixel anti-aliasing, the optional, and separate, FreeType Plus
> > (sub-pixel anti-aliasing) package must be installed.
> > This requires a modified BitBltPlugin. This is currently available for
> > Windows/Linux only, and is installed via the FreeType Plus (plugins installer)
> > package. If anybody wishes to attempt compile it for Macs, then please let me
> > know.
> >
> > Rather than try to describe everything, and anticipate every question in
> > advance, I would rather wait to see how people get on with installing/using it,
> > and then update and improve the documentation accordingly. So, if you have
> > problems, then please let me know; and if you have success then that would be
> > nice to hear about too :)
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andy

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

Andrew Tween
Hi David,
> I'm on win2k pro and as soon as I install the DLLs from the Universe
> Browser, the Squeak screen goes black and the processor pegs 100%. If
> I press Ctrl+., the processor relents, but I don't get a refresh.
>
> Troubleshooting steps:
>
> Started with fresh Win32 download and Damien's squeak-web-118.image.
> Open Package Universe Browser.
> When the Preamble progress bar appears for Installing FreeType Plugins
> 0.13, Squeak stops responding. If I bring another window across it, it
> doesn't redraw the screen.
>
> At this point, I kill the Squeak process (after waiting several
> minutes). Looking in the Squeak directory, I see I have a package
> cache from the Universe Browser and these files copied in:
>
> BitBltPlugin.dll
> freetype6.dll
> ft2plugin.dll
> msvcr71.dll
> credits.txt
>
> Restarting any Squeak image at this point will show only a blank
> screen (tried several of mine and Squeak3.9-final-7067.image). So I
> think something isn't working at the VM level with the plugins.

Make sure that you are using the 3.9.2 Windows VM.
(to check this, click on the Mouse icon at the top left to bing up the system
menu. Then choose VM Preferences>>Display Version Information)

Cheers,
Andy

> [...]
> > > This requires a modified BitBltPlugin. This is currently available for
> > > Windows/Linux only, and is installed via the FreeType Plus (plugins
installer)
> > > package. If anybody wishes to attempt compile it for Macs, then please let
me
> > > know.
> > >
> > > Rather than try to describe everything, and anticipate every question in
> > > advance, I would rather wait to see how people get on with
installing/using it,
> > > and then update and improve the documentation accordingly. So, if you have
> > > problems, then please let me know; and if you have success then that would
be

> > > nice to hear about too :)
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Andy

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

That did it.

FANTASTIC!!!

Thanks!

On 5/2/07, Andrew Tween <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi David,

Andreas.Raab
Andrew Tween wrote:
> Make sure that you are using the 3.9.2 Windows VM.
> (to check this, click on the Mouse icon at the top left to bing up the system
> menu. Then choose VM Preferences>>Display Version Information)

Why does running a different version completely lock up? This really
shouldn't happen. It's bad for our (collective) image if people download
cool stuff like this and end up with dead system. Can you elaborate on
what the problem is?

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

Andrew Tween
Hi Andreas,
> > Make sure that you are using the 3.9.2 Windows VM.
> > (to check this, click on the Mouse icon at the top left to bing up the
system
> > menu. Then choose VM Preferences>>Display Version Information)
>
> Why does running a different version completely lock up? This really
> shouldn't happen. It's bad for our (collective) image if people download
> cool stuff like this and end up with dead system. Can you elaborate on
> what the problem is?

This is a guess...

I think that the external BitBltPlugin won't load into an old VM due to the
version number checks that prevent loading of a plugin with a (major?) version
greater than the VM's (major?) version.
But having failed to load it, the VM doesn't then use its internal BitBltPlugin,
and keeps trying to load the incompatible, external one instead. Hence a blank
screen.

I think I should alter the installer to check the current VM version before
copying the BitBltPlugin into the executable dir.
The best check I can come up with (for Windows) is ...

    SmalltalkImage current vmVersion ~= 'Squeak3.7 of ''4 September 2004''
[latest update: #5989]'

Is there a better check that would also work for custom built VMs?
Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Tween wrote:
> I think that the external BitBltPlugin won't load into an old VM due to the
> version number checks that prevent loading of a plugin with a (major?) version
> greater than the VM's (major?) version.
> But having failed to load it, the VM doesn't then use its internal BitBltPlugin,
> and keeps trying to load the incompatible, external one instead. Hence a blank
> screen.

Hm ... yes that's entirely possible. It would happen if you implicitly
use the latest proxy version (which has been bumped a couple of times).
You could try to compile with an older version instead (just #define
VM_PROXY_MINOR to be the least version with which it compiles).

> I think I should alter the installer to check the current VM version before
> copying the BitBltPlugin into the executable dir.
> The best check I can come up with (for Windows) is ...
>
>     SmalltalkImage current vmVersion ~= 'Squeak3.7 of ''4 September 2004''
> [latest update: #5989]'
>
> Is there a better check that would also work for custom built VMs?

No, unfortunately there isn't. We should add that information, too.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: [ANN] FreeType Plus release -- Can't get to work on Win2k

Andrew Tween
Hi Andreas,
> > I think that the external BitBltPlugin won't load into an old VM due to the
> > version number checks that prevent loading of a plugin with a (major?)
version
> > greater than the VM's (major?) version.
> > But having failed to load it, the VM doesn't then use its internal
BitBltPlugin,
> > and keeps trying to load the incompatible, external one instead. Hence a
blank

> > screen.
>
> Hm ... yes that's entirely possible. It would happen if you implicitly
> use the latest proxy version (which has been bumped a couple of times).
> You could try to compile with an older version instead (just #define
> VM_PROXY_MINOR to be the least version with which it compiles).
>
> > I think I should alter the installer to check the current VM version before
> > copying the BitBltPlugin into the executable dir.
> > The best check I can come up with (for Windows) is ...
> >
> >     SmalltalkImage current vmVersion ~= 'Squeak3.7 of ''4 September 2004''
> > [latest update: #5989]'
> >
> > Is there a better check that would also work for custom built VMs?
>
> No, unfortunately there isn't. We should add that information, too.

I think I can get around this by simply
    1. copying in the plugin,
    2. unload and reload the BitBltPlugin module
    3. check that the plugin has loaded ok (I already have a test for the
presence of the new combination rule 41)
    4. if it hasn't loaded, then delete the BitBltPlugin.dll file, and display a
message to the user.
I don't overwrite any existing external BitBltPlugin.dll file, so this should
work.

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew Tween wrote:
> I think I can get around this by simply
>     1. copying in the plugin,
>     2. unload and reload the BitBltPlugin module
>     3. check that the plugin has loaded ok (I already have a test for the
> presence of the new combination rule 41)
>     4. if it hasn't loaded, then delete the BitBltPlugin.dll file, and display a
> message to the user.
> I don't overwrite any existing external BitBltPlugin.dll file, so this should
> work.

Yes, this should work nicely.

Cheers,
   - Andreas