Re:Any ideas about accelerating Croquet in-world dynamics with physics co-processors?

1 message Options

Re:Any ideas about accelerating Croquet in-world dynamics with physics co-processors?

Eugen Leitl
> The first question is whether the API allows for a repeatable
> experience. We can't have the computations be different on different
> machines (e.g., because the random numbers are seeded differently or
> produce non-repeatable results, or if there are floating point
> computations that produce different results on different boards).

This is a potentially nasty problem. Game worlds develop towards
realistic in-game physics, becoming effectively large-scale
physical simulations. Both random and float-derived divergences
will result in ultimatively widely divergent simulation worlds
which are supposed to be in sync.

If you don't utilize hardware acceleration for world physics,
then world detail would be a caricature. So effectively you
have to ban floats, and hardware noise sources.