Re: Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?

Re: Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?

Jerome Peace
Hi all,

I've posted this to squeak-dev and on mantis (see
below) but its clear if this preference has a champion
(someone who is willing to defend it) they are
probably on this list.

So does anybody cherish this option? Can it be removed
in the name of simplifing what has to be maintained?

Reply here or squeak dev. And if what you want to say
is definative please add to the mantis issue.

--- Peace Jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?
>

> It is of limited use as implemented.
>
> When enabled the only thing that gets a mouse over
> halo is a sketch morph owned by the current world.
> Nothing else seems to notice the option.

<snipped see the mantis report for full details>

> So can we eliminate this from squeak and make it
> more
> maintainable?

 Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace

> P.S.
> I have put this up as a mantis report:
>
> http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4873

Re: Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?

Kim Rose
Hi, Jerome -
This preference was created especially for childrens' use and is
quite helpful to kids first learning to work with sketches and
manipulating them via the handles in the halo.  Is there a reason
that merely opting *not* to use this preference and saving an image
this way will not suffice your need?
Certainly for the "Squeak" image (vs. the "Squeakland" image) this
may not be problemmatic as we advise any teacher, parent or child
using Squeak to make eToys to use the "Squeakland image" which has
this option.
  -- Kim

At 5:53 PM -0700 9/11/06, Peace Jerome wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I've posted this to squeak-dev and on mantis (see
>below) but its clear if this preference has a champion
>(someone who is willing to defend it) they are
>probably on this list.
>
>So does anybody cherish this option? Can it be removed
>in the name of simplifing what has to be maintained?
>
>Reply here or squeak dev. And if what you want to say
>is definative please add to the mantis issue.
>

>--- Peace Jerome <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>  Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?
>>

>>  It is of limited use as implemented.
>>
>>  When enabled the only thing that gets a mouse over
>>  halo is a sketch morph owned by the current world.
>>  Nothing else seems to notice the option.
>>
><snipped see the mantis report for full details>
>>
>>  So can we eliminate this from squeak and make it
>>  more
>>  maintainable?
>>

>  Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace
>
>>  P.S.
>>  I have put this up as a mantis report:
>>
>>  http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4873

Re: Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?

Jerome Peace
Hi Kim,

Thank you for your quick response.

[Squeakland] Can we remove the mouseOverHalo option?
>Kim Rose kim.rose at squeakland.org
>Tue Sep 12 05:18:25 PDT 2006 wrote:

>Hi, Jerome -
>This preference was created especially for childrens'
use and is
>quite helpful to kids first learning to work with
sketches and
>manipulating them via the handles in the halo.

Ok. That's what I was looking for.

>  Is there a reason  that merely opting *not* to use
this preference
> and saving an image this way will not suffice your
need?

I didn't ask my question with a wish to eliminate the
feature. I wanted to find out who its customers were.
I also wanted to find out who spoke for those
customers. Now that I have the follow-on question
becomes:

If you could have things anyway you wanted them how
would you want them?
Why do mouseOverHalos only affect sketch morphs?
What makes scketch morphs special to the children?

The other way to eliminate the preference is to find
out if anybody (on the squeakdev side) cares if it is
always on.

Which brings me to the point I can address your
question.  The number of prefences in squeak has grown
so great that maintaining squeak by testing all the
combinations is not possible. Any option eliminated
cuts the task in half. So I am exploring that.

If you'll remember the request the inventor of the
chess made of the king. A how the king realized it
would be easier to cut off the inventors head than
place twice the number of grains on each successive
square of the board. You will have some idea of the
maintainence issues involved. :-)

>Certainly for the "Squeak" image (vs. the
"Squeakland" image) this
>may not be problemmatic as we advise any teacher,
parent or child
>using Squeak to make eToys to use the "Squeakland
image" which has
>this option.
>  -- Kim

Cool.