Re: Challenges -- Who's havesting fixes.

Re: Challenges -- Who's havesting fixes.

Jerome Peace

--- stéphane ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Jerome
>
> > Hi Stef,

> > All I wanted was an official answer to the
> question
> > "Who's havesting fixes."
>
> so far me and (marcus but he stopped).

Ok. Thank you for the direct answer. (And for taking
the responsibily.)

> > Take time for yourself. Your well being will be
> > reflected in the quality of what is being created.
> >
> > Thank you for your efforts on the communities
> behalf.
>
> I know but I want that people talking all the times
> can understand that
> having big bang plans do not work if people do not
> help. :)
>
> Stef

Yeah. Its usually best if big bangs happen only once
every 26 billion years per universe :)

Seriously, Squeak is meant to be designed
incrementally. All the tools were designed to make
that easy. I see people lost in big plans and I wonder
why they don't understand. You can get anywhere you
want one cautious step at a time.

Big plans are easy. It's still patience that is dear
in this community.

Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Challenges -- Who's havesting fixes.

Andreas.Raab
Peace Jerome wrote:
>>> All I wanted was an official answer to the question
>>> "Who's havesting fixes."
>> so far me and (marcus but he stopped).
>>
> Ok. Thank you for the direct answer. (And for taking
> the responsibily.)

Actually, this is only partially correct. Fixes that belong to packages
are harvested by the package maintainers. It is quite frustrating for a
package maintainer to see downstream modifications magically appear in
some image without even knowing about them.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

Re: Challenges -- Who's havesting fixes.

stéphane ducasse-2
andreas

you mean you are harvesting your packages but nobody else!
Now I asked several time to get some new version of the maintained
packages and I got
no answer so far.
So please do not bash us if we harvested a change that was for your
package.
I do not like this kind of game!

Stef

On 24 mai 06, at 07:54, Andreas Raab wrote:

>>> so far me and (marcus but he stopped).
>>>
>> Ok. Thank you for the direct answer. (And for taking
>> the responsibily.)
>
> Actually, this is only partially correct. Fixes that belong to
> packages are harvested by the package maintainers. It is quite
> frustrating for a package maintainer to see downstream
> modifications magically appear in some image without even knowing
> about them.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Re: Challenges -- Who's havesting fixes.

Andreas.Raab
Hi Stef -

First, I'm not sure what you mean by "bashing". Really, if I bash
something or someone it looks usually quite different from what I wrote.
I would even go as far and claim that what I wrote is something that you
could probably relate to if you were trying to do some package
maintenance independent from the image maintenance.

But since you asked let's stay calm and look at a few things: For one
thing, I have not seen any message asking about new versions recently;
the last time I saw a message where you asked for it
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-January/099843.html)
I responded quite explicitly pointing to the latest versions
(http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-January/099871.html)
If there has been anything in the meantime please point me to it.

Second, let's look at Mantis. For the issues reported in the categories
of packages that I maintain there is no indication that they have any
relations to the changes that happened downstream, which indeed leads me
to believe that, yes, I am the only person harvesting these packages,
dealing with the reported bugs and fixes (the other reason is that I
would expect anyone interested in helping with it to contact me to get
access to the upstream repositories which I'd be happy to grant but
which hasn't happened yet). And really, there is nothing wrong with that
- I said I'd deal with the issues and I am as you can see if you look at
Mantis and the issues that were resolved since I said I'd do it.

[BTW, for those not following that process almost all of the fixes have
a discussion thread attached to it which goes to show that I typically
don't just take the fixes but rather go over them carefully discuss the
necessary details and integrate them afterwards (or reject them; that
happens as well) - a process which takes quite a bit of time and care
and which makes it particularly frustrating to deal with downstream
changes that just "show up" in an image. I also try to keep the packages
in sync between the various versions that I use (Squeak, Tweak,
Tinlizzie, Croquet) and that's even harder].

Third, when I was looking at the latest 3.9, I found that all but a
single package that I am involved in with maintenance one way or another
(Balloon, Compression, FFI, Flash, Graphics, ToolBuilder, TrueType; the
single exception being the GraphicsTests package) have downstream
modifications that are not in the upstream repositories. Now, I can
understand why this is *sometimes* necessary, but when I start looking
at the changes in detail then I found that many of them aren't required
by other changes (which is the main reason why I could see that they had
to be included downstream) and that most of these changes really should
have been done upstream (if at all - they really should be subject to
the same review process that I am running for changes reported at Mantis
because otherwise they have a really unfair advantage). And I can't for
the heck of it find even a single Mantis report at all for any of these
changes (and again, if there are, please point me to it) or even an
attempt to communicate about these changes (e.g., no emails that I could
find talking about these changes either) - they just "appeared" in the
image at some point (and again if there is a place where these things
are discussed please point me to it).

All in all, I believe this entitles me to say that for me it's
frustrating to see these downstream changes that are done outside of the
currently defined processes, which I believe include that the
responsibilities for harvesting done in a package lie with the package
maintainer not with the downstream image maintainer and that changes
should generally be documented at mantis. And if I'm wrong about this,
I'd really like a clarification to understand what exactly the role of a
maintainer is and what is expect of this role. Because the way it is
right now it *is* frustrating to do package maintenance and all your
yelling and screaming won't really change that.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

stéphane ducasse wrote:

> andreas
>
> you mean you are harvesting your packages but nobody else!
> Now I asked several time to get some new version of the maintained
> packages and I got
> no answer so far.
> So please do not bash us if we harvested a change that was for your
> package.
> I do not like this kind of game!
>
> Stef

>>> Ok. Thank you for the direct answer. (And for taking
>>> the responsibily.)
>>
>> Actually, this is only partially correct. Fixes that belong to
>> packages are harvested by the package maintainers. It is quite
>> frustrating for a package maintainer to see downstream modifications
>> magically appear in some image without even knowing about them.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>   - Andreas

Re: Challenges -- Who's havesting fixes.

stéphane ducasse-2
Hi andreas

> Hi Stef -
>
> First, I'm not sure what you mean by "bashing". Really, if I bash
> something or someone it looks usually quite different from what I
> wrote.

Indeed, I know you! and you know me so I was overreacting as usual.

> I would even go as far and claim that what I wrote is something
> that you could probably relate to if you were trying to do some
> package maintenance independent from the image maintenance.
>
> But since you asked let's stay calm and look at a few things: For
> one thing, I have not seen any message asking about new versions
> recently; the last time I saw a message where you asked for it
> (http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-
> January/099843.html) I responded quite explicitly pointing to the
> latest versions (http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-
> dev/2006-January/099871.html) If there has been anything in the
> meantime please point me to it.

I could not find the email I (dreamed) sent

I could only find that:
From:  [hidden email]
        Subject: [ANN] 3.9 beta is out
        Date: 4 mai 2006 23:13:47 HAEC
        To:  [hidden email]

Here is the beta version of 3.9
What should we do now:

        - harvest fixes for MC for some little bugs with traits
        - harvest fixes of traits
        - put back backwards compatible canUnderstand: and respondTo:
        - test and fix all the tests :) (this is a call)
        - harvest all fixes that will come
 >>> - integrate all the package team work
        - remove the ToolsPlus
        - and everything I forgot

        From:  [hidden email]
        Subject: Mail for the network/IO team
        Date: 13 mai 2006 14:13:17 HAEC
        To:  [hidden email]

Hi guys

are you harvesting changes for the network? Or is this adventure dead?
Should I harvest the network changes?

Stef

> Second, let's look at Mantis. For the issues reported in the
> categories of packages that I maintain there is no indication that
> they have any relations to the changes that happened downstream,
> which indeed leads me to believe that, yes, I am the only person
> harvesting these packages, dealing with the reported bugs and fixes
> (the other reason is that I would expect anyone interested in
> helping with it to contact me to get access to the upstream
> repositories which I'd be happy to grant but which hasn't happened
> yet).

OK

> And really, there is nothing wrong with that - I said I'd deal with
> the issues and I am as you can see if you look at Mantis and the
> issues that were resolved since I said I'd do it.

Ok could you push some of your packages to me so that I try to do a
pass of all the pending items
(shit the list start to be really long).

> [BTW, for those not following that process almost all of the fixes
> have a discussion thread attached to it which goes to show that I
> typically don't just take the fixes but rather go over them
> carefully discuss the necessary details and integrate them
> afterwards (or reject them; that happens as well) - a process which
> takes quite a bit of time and care and which makes it particularly
> frustrating to deal with downstream changes that just "show up" in
> an image. I also try to keep the packages in sync between the
> various versions that I use (Squeak, Tweak, Tinlizzie, Croquet) and
> that's even harder].

I really want to help the people and would like to avoid as much as
possible to get fix that should not
be in. Less work for me less for you. Do you have some examples that
I understand what crept in?

> Third, when I was looking at the latest 3.9, I found that all but a
> single package that I am involved in with maintenance one way or
> another (Balloon, Compression, FFI, Flash, Graphics, ToolBuilder,
> TrueType; the single exception being the GraphicsTests package)
> have downstream modifications that are not in the upstream
> repositories.

Sorry you confused me with downstream and upstream. You mean that we
pushed stuff in the image packages. Normally since we agree on that
we payed attention not to do it. This is strange because we skipped
all the packages you maintained.

> Now, I can understand why this is *sometimes* necessary, but when I
> start looking at the changes in detail then I found that many of
> them aren't required by other changes (which is the main reason why
> I could see that they had to be included downstream) and that most
> of these changes really should have been done upstream (if at all -
> they really should be subject to the same review process that I am
> running for changes reported at Mantis because otherwise they have
> a really unfair advantage).

Sure

> And I can't for the heck of it find even a single Mantis report at
> all for any of these changes (and again, if there are, please point
> me to it) or even an attempt to communicate about these changes
> (e.g., no emails that I could find talking about these changes
> either) - they just "appeared" in the image at some point (and
> again if there is a place where these things are discussed please
> point me to it).

Strange I would like to understand which ones they are because I
payed attention to not touch the packages you maintain.

> All in all, I believe this entitles me to say that for me it's
> frustrating to see these downstream changes that are done outside
> of the currently defined processes, which I believe include that
> the responsibilities for harvesting done in a package lie with the
> package maintainer not with the downstream image maintainer and
> that changes should generally be documented at mantis.

Yes Ok I agree on that.

> And if I'm wrong about this, I'd really like a clarification to
> understand what exactly the role of a maintainer is and what is
> expect of this role. Because the way it is right now it *is*
> frustrating to do package maintenance and all your yelling and
> screaming won't really change that.

Normally the maintainer of the package is in charge of his package
and most of the time
we should not have fix/changes in by other path. Now I would like to
know the ones that creeps in
and we should have a way to communicate when something changes so
that we have a control.

I will look at that next week (arghhhhhhhhh)
But I would appreciate that you let me know some examples so that I
can understand
the why and how this happens.

Now if you can push some packages I would really try to release a new
batch.
But been alone and with no time so far is difficult. I hope that the
nex two weeks will be better.
But without internet (Yes this can happen, unbelievable).

Setf

> Cheers,
>   - Andreas
>

> stéphane ducasse wrote:
>> andreas
>> you mean you are harvesting your packages but nobody else!
>> Now I asked several time to get some new version of the maintained
>> packages and I got
>> no answer so far.
>> So please do not bash us if we harvested a change that was for
>> your package.
>> I do not like this kind of game!
>> Stef

>>> Actually, this is only partially correct. Fixes that belong to
>>> packages are harvested by the package maintainers. It is quite
>>> frustrating for a package maintainer to see downstream
>>> modifications magically appear in some image without even knowing
>>> about them.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>   - Andreas

Re: Challenges -- Who's havesting fixes.

stéphane ducasse-2
Ok *********excellent************. This is a really great feeling to
see that.
In that case I will only focus on what I can :)

andreas I guess that the changes you saw are due to the changes of
diego and
this was the only way we could proceed. At least this is my
perception, else the 600k of changes
of diego would not have get in. Of course now we should check and
tigh them up which
can also be painful I agree. But we tried to do our best.

Stef

On 24 mai 06, at 10:29, Todd Blanchard wrote:

> The IO team is trying to get together this week to send you our stuff.
>

> On May 23, 2006, at 11:33 PM, stéphane ducasse wrote:
>
>> you mean you are harvesting your packages but nobody else!
>> Now I asked several time to get some new version of the maintained
>> packages and I got
>> no answer so far.
>> So please do not bash us if we harvested a change that was for
>> your package.

Re: Challenges -- Who's harvesting fixes.

Edgar J. De Cleene

Steff, I know you are very busy and dedicated.

What could be nice if things what people send  was reviewed more quickly and
not go to Mantis limbo.

I send several mails from the few days what I using/testing 3.9b 7032.

Summarize what I found and send to list

1) Still unsolved hex deprecation for old packages (Was closed in Mantis and
Boris is finishing /completing his fix IMHO)

2) walckback raise when you drag and drop a .cs file on 7032 image (None
confirm same bug, I send fix what works for me)

3) PasteUpMorph(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #collapseAllWindows . This could
be corrected with
0001091: [ENH] NiceCollapseAllWindows
Description     For having the collapsed windows arranged vertical ,
modified also a couple of methods for proper work.
Works in 38 and 3.9

In mantis from 04-21-05 16:17

4) Same fail when you use Nebraska complaining about fonts, what I found
some time ago and send how to fix to Yoshiki. He said what thinks was good ,
but never send final approve

5) And last to date
SystemWindow-spawnPaneFrameHandle
SystemWindow-spawnReframeHandle

Seems missing in 7032 , was needed for old projects

All this I have corrected in my own 7032 without "collateral damage"
If you wish I could collect in some "FoolEdgarFixes.cs" and send for
including until some say how improve this fixes

Keep doing good work !
Gracias !
Edgar

Yahoo! Autos. Más de 3.000 vehículos vendidos por mes.
¿Qué esperás para vender el tuyo?
Hacelo ahora y ganate un premio de Yahoo!
http://autos.yahoo.com.ar/vender/

Re: Challenges -- Who's havesting fixes.

stéphane ducasse-2
A good soul pointed to me my own email :)

No, you didn't dream, it was

  - http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-May/
103436.html

But of course everybody could have missed it like me :)
What a zombie am I...

Stef

On 24 mai 06, at 12:07, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Steff, I know you are very busy and dedicated.
>
> What could be nice if things what people send  was reviewed more
> quickly and
> not go to Mantis limbo.

Sure.

Can you provide a list of pending things?
with link to the code or mantis entries?

So far this is not a question of will just of time.
I have a ***terrible*** agenda in this moment.
even worse than that. Imagine I will even not have internet at home. :)

Stef