Re: [Cuis-dev] Is there a pull-right hierarchical menu in Cuis?

Re: [Cuis-dev] Is there a pull-right hierarchical menu in Cuis?

Stephen Pope

Thanks to all those who responded to my query about hierarchical menus; the answer was indeed “RTFM.”

Here’s a screen shot of my new (smaller & faster) world menu. I’ll send the code out after I’ve tested it a bit more.

stp

--

                    Stephen Travis Pope   Santa Barbara, California, USA

On May 31, 2020, at 3:34 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Stephen.

Welcome to Cuis!

Check World / New morph...  This opens the 'Add a new morph' menu that has several levels of submenus. Would this work for you?

Juan Vuletich
www.cuis-smalltalk.org
https://github.com/jvuletich
@JuanVuletich

On 5/31/2020 7:06 PM, stephen--- via Cuis-dev wrote:

Hi all,

The title says it all; my app (Siren) uses hierarchical menus extensively
(see the attached screen shot for an example), and I'd rather not have them
be many-click menus as in Squeak.

Is there an implementation of true hierarchical/pull-right menus in Squeak
or any of its descendants.

stp

<Mail Attachment.jpeg>

--

                    Stephen Travis Pope   Santa Barbara, California, USA

Re: [Cuis-dev] Is there a pull-right hierarchical menu in Cuis?

timrowledge

On 2020-06-01, at 12:01 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Thanks to all those who responded to my query about hierarchical menus; the answer was indeed “RTFM.”

Here’s a screen shot of my new (smaller & faster) world menu. I’ll send the code out after I’ve tested it a bit more.

One thing you will probably discover is tat the gap between the menus can be a killer; if a mouse event touching the gap gets processed you will likely lose the submenu.  I thought we had fixed that at least a release ago though. In my 5.3 image I see this -
note the slight overlap in this case.

tim
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.

Re: [Cuis-dev] Is there a pull-right hierarchical menu in Cuis?

timrowledge

> On 2020-06-02, at 4:43 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Stephen. It is a good idea. We'd integrate that.

... and I'd certainly urge the equivalent in Squeak.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Furnulum pani nolo = I don't want a toaster.

Re: [Cuis-dev] Is there a pull-right hierarchical menu in Cuis?

Christoph Thiede

However, having icons for each and every item defeats the purpose of icons supporting visual/manual look up.

Why do you think so? :-)
Especially if you are not familiar with the tool names, a magnifying icon can be more intuitive for "search" than the name "Message Names", just for example.

Best,
Christoph

[...]

pastedGraphic.tiff (3K) Download Attachment
Carpe Squeak!