Re: DHT (distributed hash tables)

Paul Sheldon-2
I recalled hash table from a computer sci course
and knew it to be fundamental.

Wikipedia had a long take with references
on hash tables.

I sped read it. I found it had to do
with constant time searching
for large data structures. I can't believe
that. But, I'm not fresh on this stuff.

The best thing I'm thinking now
is there is something fundamental and obscure
about distributed hash tables searching
for garbage in distributed garbabe collection
Howard Sterns mentioned a bug in awhile back.

In other words,
with computers, designing garbage collection
might be a "higher class activity" though
in 1971 I saw some classy robotic garbage trucks
in my world travels.

;-)

Re: Re: DHT (distributed hash tables)

Les Howell
On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 13:03 -0800, [hidden email] wrote:

> I recalled hash table from a computer sci course
> and knew it to be fundamental.
>
> Wikipedia had a long take with references
> on hash tables.
>
> I sped read it. I found it had to do
> with constant time searching
> for large data structures. I can't believe
> that. But, I'm not fresh on this stuff.
>
> The best thing I'm thinking now
> is there is something fundamental and obscure
> about distributed hash tables searching
> for garbage in distributed garbabe collection
> Howard Sterns mentioned a bug in awhile back.
>
> In other words,
> with computers, designing garbage collection
> might be a "higher class activity" though
> in 1971 I saw some classy robotic garbage trucks
> in my world travels.

I do seem to remember Howard Stearn speaking about the Hash Tables in
the garbage collection, but I don't remember the context.  In general I
remember that he said when they worked on optimizing the garbage
collection, they used access counts, and the first clean was massive,
but all subsequent allocations were separated from the general memory
and so they could run interim garbage collection only on new items, and
then rerun the global garbage collection only occasionally ( don't
remember the criteria he mentioned for the global or interim
collections).  They do seem to be using some compression after the
global cleanings, and I believe he mentioned that was one of the big
time comsumers.

Regards,
Les H