Re: Digest for metacello@googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 2 Topics

Paul DeBruicker
On 12/18/2012 06:53 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Paul,
>
> #latestVersion should not be used anymore.
>
> You should be using the symbolic version #stable and control the version
> that gets loaded on a platform by platform basis by specifying which
> version is the #stable version...
>
> Dale

Hi Dale,

I agree with you that only #stable or a specfic version # should be used
in a config.  I think this was a case of me doing a bad job explaining
the problem. If (using the version of the ConfigurationOfSeaside30 that
has nested versions for Seaside 3.1 blessed as #development in Pharo
1.4) I doIt:

(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSeaside30) load.

 Nothing happens because #load was looking up the #latestVersion and
finding that the 3.1.0-gemstone version was the latest version.  Then
versions did not get found because they are all marked #development and
excluded.  #load (really #latestVersion) gets tripped up by the
3.1.0-gemstone version because that version has no spec calculated for
it, and so the defaultBlessing of #release is used.

I'm not sure its relevant considering the new scripting API but I'm
bringing this to your attention because I expect that other configs may
eventually exist that define different nested #development versions for
both Pharo and Gemstone, and in those configs the idioms:

ConfigurationOfXXXXX load
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfXXXXX) load.

won't work.

Also - how dumb of me to not think of using Metacello to load an updated
version of Metacello.  jeez.  my bad.

Thanks for the reminder

Paul

Re: Digest for metacello@googlegroups.com - 2 Messages in 2 Topics

Dale Henrichs
Paul,

I guess I'm still missing something :)

I suppose I need to see a stack to understand where #latestVersion is being called ...

If it is being called directly from the class-side #load method, then the class-side #load method should be changed to use the #stable version ...

One of the reasons I would like the Metacello Scripting API adopted is that whole set of adhoc  class-side messages should go away ... with the scripting api, you don't directly manipulate the configuration classes...

Dale