Re: Election too short

Jerome Peace
Just another data point.

I also never recieved a mailing.

How were they done?

One thing peculiar about my account is that since I
find it easier to read the archive I have stopped mail
from squeak-dev to my email address. But a mail sent
specifically to me should have worked.

While I would rather have voted, it looks like the
electorate has done a good job. A stable board should
be a good thing. Congratulations and good luck to
those elected.

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

Re: Election too short

Daniel Vainsencher-3
The current elections procedure is as follows:

1. Dump the emails of the approved users of SqP, one per row.
2. Feed the resulting text verbatim into the CIVS application, which
sends out one ballot per email.

This has several weaknesses:
1. Not having user names along with the emails, we cannot correct any
missing/wrong emails. The elections team thinks that in the future, the
account name and the users name should be exported along with the
emails, and that having a full name will be a prerequisite to being sent
a ballot. Certified accounts without full names can be sent a  request
to update instead. This allows more error correction.
2. CIVS does not automatically report bounced addresses and such. So any
out of date emails in SqP can result in lost votes. This was corrected
manually in this election by Ron asking the CIVS admin for this
information, and by people explicitly requesting a ballot from us.

You may note that the only account information relevant to getting a
ballot is the SqP information and your Selective Mail Tossing algorithm
(sometimes euphemistically called spam filter) of choice :-). The
mailing list settings are irrelevant.

While any suggestions are welcome, anyone seriously interested in how
the elections are run technically is very welcome to join the elections
mailing list.

Daniel Vainsencher