Re: [Esug-list] Smalltalk Security Landscape - survey for ESUG 2018

Re: [Esug-list] Smalltalk Security Landscape - survey for ESUG 2018

Tobias Pape
Dear Jerry,

I'm cc-ing squeak-dev, as we might as well have a lot of insight for you there.

> On 13.08.2018, at 19:49, Jerry Kott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Smalltalkers and friends,
>
> I am planning to have a presentation titled ‘Smalltalk Security Landscape’ at this year’s ESUG conference. In my presentation I hope to increase cybersecurity awareness within the Smalltalk community and help shape the evolution of the language and its ecosystem.
>
> I have put together a survey to help me research the topic. I ask for your kind help to get a picture of where Smalltalk stands in the area of cybersecurity. The survey is completely anonymous, and should take less than 15 minutes to complete. I appreciate your time and participation.

I'd like to make you aware that you missed Squeak altogether in Question 8:

        Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks or Object Studio)
        Pharo
        GemStone/S
        VA Smalltalk
        Other Smalltalk dialect (e.g., Amber, Dolphin, VST, ...)

Also, it is not possible to specify _what_ other dialect is used, so you miss Cuis, SOM, GNU Smalltalk and all the like.

Please, if possible correct this.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> If you are in a management role, I would like your help by forwarding this to your team members to help reach the broad Smalltalk community.
>
> Here is a link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/esug2018
>
> Thank you for your help, and hope to see you in Cagliari!
>
> Jerry Kott
> This message has been digitally signed.
> PGP Fingerprint:
> A9181736DD2F1B6CC7CF9E51AC8514F48C0979A5

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

Re: [Esug-list] Smalltalk Security Landscape - survey for ESUG 2018

Jerry Kott-3
That’s great, Tobias. Thank you. I am not on the mailing list so I was going to ask you after your previous email.

Thanks for sharing!

Jerry Kott
This message has been digitally signed.
PGP Fingerprint:
A9181736DD2F1B6CC7CF9E51AC8514F48C0979A5

> On 14-08-2018, at 1:53 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Jerry,
>
> I'm cc-ing squeak-dev, as we might as well have a lot of insight for you there.
>

>> On 13.08.2018, at 19:49, Jerry Kott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Smalltalkers and friends,
>>
>> I am planning to have a presentation titled ‘Smalltalk Security Landscape’ at this year’s ESUG conference. In my presentation I hope to increase cybersecurity awareness within the Smalltalk community and help shape the evolution of the language and its ecosystem.
>>
>> I have put together a survey to help me research the topic. I ask for your kind help to get a picture of where Smalltalk stands in the area of cybersecurity. The survey is completely anonymous, and should take less than 15 minutes to complete. I appreciate your time and participation.
>>

> I'd like to make you aware that you missed Squeak altogether in Question 8:
>
> Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks or Object Studio)
> Pharo
> GemStone/S
> VA Smalltalk
> Other Smalltalk dialect (e.g., Amber, Dolphin, VST, ...)
>
> Also, it is not possible to specify _what_ other dialect is used, so you miss Cuis, SOM, GNU Smalltalk and all the like.
>
> Please, if possible correct this.
>
> Best regards
> -Tobias
>
>> If you are in a management role, I would like your help by forwarding this to your team members to help reach the broad Smalltalk community.
>>
>> Here is a link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/esug2018
>>
>> Thank you for your help, and hope to see you in Cagliari!
>>
>> Jerry Kott
>> This message has been digitally signed.
>> PGP Fingerprint:
>> A9181736DD2F1B6CC7CF9E51AC8514F48C0979A5

Re: [Esug-list] Smalltalk Security Landscape - survey for ESUG 2018

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Jerry, Hi Tobias,

> On Aug 14, 2018, at 1:53 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dear Jerry,
>
> I'm cc-ing squeak-dev, as we might as well have a lot of insight for you there.
>

>> On 13.08.2018, at 19:49, Jerry Kott <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear Smalltalkers and friends,
>>
>> I am planning to have a presentation titled ‘Smalltalk Security Landscape’ at this year’s ESUG conference. In my presentation I hope to increase cybersecurity awareness within the Smalltalk community and help shape the evolution of the language and its ecosystem.
>>
>> I have put together a survey to help me research the topic. I ask for your kind help to get a picture of where Smalltalk stands in the area of cybersecurity. The survey is completely anonymous, and should take less than 15 minutes to complete. I appreciate your time and participation.
>>

> I'd like to make you aware that you missed Squeak altogether in Question 8:
>
>    Cincom Smalltalk (VisualWorks or Object Studio)
>    Pharo
>    GemStone/S
>    VA Smalltalk
>    Other Smalltalk dialect (e.g., Amber, Dolphin, VST, ...)
>
> Also, it is not possible to specify _what_ other dialect is used, so you miss Cuis, SOM, GNU Smalltalk and all the like.
>
> Please, if possible correct this.

+1.  Also, either the last or next to last question asks the responder to rankle the strengths of various elements of the security of an app from people though web site to application code.  It would be nice to have an  opt out such as, in my own case, “don’t know enough about the entire system to answer this”.