Re: Firefox or xpdf launch

Howard Stearns-3
On Sep 17, 2007, at 2:27 AM, Kiran wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>                    In the KAT demo, how do you launch firefox for a
> weblink or xpdf for a pdf file.
>                    How do you tie up the file with the specific
> application?
>                    Where do you program the same in KAT demo.
>
> Thanks & Rgds
> Kiran

Two parts: Squeak side and remote side.  See also the last line below.

It's neat how Squeak gives you the tools to see the actual code
examples from the UI all the way back to the core code.

Notice how you bring this up in the KAT demo.  New->Desktop brings up
a window with:
     URL to import:
and a default value of
     http://www.google.com

If you do option-click -> more...->'method strings with it' (or cmd-
E), you see a list of the methods that use that text. (E.g.,
KStandardHarness>>promptForURL for 'URL to import:'.)

You can then work backward from there (select interesting method in
the top pane of the results window and use the little square button
on top of the scroll bar to bring up a menu with 'senders of...', or
do cmd-n). This shows that the result is eventually used as an
argument to harness's #makeDesktop: method. Highlight that and use
the more...->'implementors of it' scroll-bar menu (or cmd-m) to see
where the real example is:  KStandardHarness>>makeDesktop:, which
uses KRFB>>initializeWithURI:.

Alas, that only covers stuff in Squeak.  Remote applications are
outside of Squeak.  In the case of XRFB, there's a python server on a
box in Madison, Wisconsin. That server launches various applications
based on the filename extension of the URL.  This is "conventional"
IT, in which you hope there's some doc and otherwise grep through the
code. See http://atsosxdev.doit.wisc.edu/croquet/Xrfb/
The "client side" in the doc there is a little different now (see
above). The server running in Madison is only slightly different from
the "server admin" in link above, and the doc does match the server
code available at that link.  Strick and Ryan did a nice job.
All the real action is in XrfbServer.py

The above link, and other notes, are at http://www.opencroquet.org/
index.php/External/Legacy_Applications_and_(X)RFB/VNC

Re: Firefox or xpdf launch

KiranMutt
Thanks Howard for the inputs..
The AllChanges.cs file at  <a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://atsosxdev.doit.wisc.edu/croquet/Xrfb/" target="_blank">http://atsosxdev.doit.wisc.edu/croquet/Xrfb/
is unavailable.

It says, The requested URL /croquet/Xrfb/xrf- all-changes.cs was not found on this server.

Thanks & Regards
Kiran

On 9/17/07, Howard Stearns <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sep 17, 2007, at 2:27 AM, Kiran wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>                    In the KAT demo, how do you launch firefox for a
> weblink or xpdf for a pdf file.
>                    How do you tie up the file with the specific
> application?
>                    Where do you program the same in KAT demo.
>
> Thanks & Rgds
> Kiran

Two parts: Squeak side and remote side.  See also the last line below.

It's neat how Squeak gives you the tools to see the actual code
examples from the UI all the way back to the core code.

Notice how you bring this up in the KAT demo.  New->Desktop brings up
a window with:
     URL to import:
and a default value of
     http://www.google.com

If you do option-click -> more...->'method strings with it' (or cmd-
E), you see a list of the methods that use that text. ( E.g.,
KStandardHarness>>promptForURL for 'URL to import:'.)

You can then work backward from there (select interesting method in
the top pane of the results window and use the little square button
on top of the scroll bar to bring up a menu with 'senders of...', or
do cmd-n). This shows that the result is eventually used as an
argument to harness's #makeDesktop: method. Highlight that and use
the more...->'implementors of it' scroll-bar menu (or cmd-m) to see
where the real example is:  KStandardHarness>>makeDesktop:, which
uses KRFB>>initializeWithURI:.

Alas, that only covers stuff in Squeak.  Remote applications are
outside of Squeak.  In the case of XRFB, there's a python server on a
box in Madison, Wisconsin. That server launches various applications
based on the filename extension of the URL.  This is "conventional"
IT, in which you hope there's some doc and otherwise grep through the
code. See http://atsosxdev.doit.wisc.edu/croquet/Xrfb/
The "client side" in the doc there is a little different now (see
above). The server running in Madison is only slightly different from
the "server admin" in link above, and the doc does match the server
code available at that link.  Strick and Ryan did a nice job.
All the real action is in XrfbServer.py

The above link, and other notes, are at http://www.opencroquet.org/
index.php/External/Legacy_Applications_and_(X)RFB/VNC

Re: Re: Firefox or xpdf launch

Howard Stearns-3
You don't need that changeset file. All the client side stuff is
improved and in the KAT code in the Hedgehog SDK repository. The reason
for going to ...wisc.edu is for the server-side stuff.

(If I had access to ...wisc.edu, I would remove that part of the
Xrfb/index.html page.)

--
Howard Stearns
AIM: qwaqHoward