Re: Help me to add java program to my world

1 message Options

Re: Help me to add java program to my world

Howard Stearns
We're still preparing things for release, but the code base is at
http://hedgehog.software.umn.edu:8888
The repository has been mentioned in various context on discussion list:
https://lists.wisc.edu/read/search/results?
forum=croquet&words=hedgehog
+repository&in=3&any=0&max=100&skip=0&orderby=CreatStamp_+DESC
And there's a nice movie explaining how to update (http://
hedgehog.software.umn.edu/croquet/croquetMovies/updateToMotion.mov)

Note that the stuff in the repository is not "released", but is made
available in the sense of David Reed's description of Croquet as
"invention in public."

For more information about the Squeak technology used for the
repository itself (e.g., tools to manipulate code-bases), see
http://www.google.com/search?q=squeak+monticello

----------
The VNC support in the repository is under "Contributions" repository
in the "Wisconsin demo" example -- which you should note as
indicating that it is not part of the core Croquet technology.

The Wisconsin demo gives two examples:

1. The Admin->New raw RFB menu item  sends KMenuBar>>actionNewRFB,
which is a straightforward application of the new TEmbeddedApp
mechanism to Ian Piumarta's remote framebuffer implemenation of VNC
for Squeak.  Each replicated TEmbeddedApp (on each participating
Croquet user machine) is associated with an XrfbClient (in the same
Squeak on the same machines, but outside of Croquet) which each
connect to the same shared VNC session on the server.

Thus VNC does what it does well: provide a shared session on a server
which a bunch of folks connect to.  The "replication" is really done
by the VNC "shared display" technology. The TEmbeddedApp stuff just
forwards ONE of the replicated inputs to the server, and allows each
Croquet client to display the wall-clock current-time display.   The
VNC server-time is only loosely coupled to Croquet simulation-time.
[N.B.: I sure hope this description is right! I haven't been working
with this code lately, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bug!]

Note that you will still need to run a vncserver somewhere.  In the
usual default implementation of VNC servers, the client has access to
a full desktop on the server. With this client appearing in a Croquet
space, all the Croquet users in the space will have access to the
full desktop of the server as if they were sitting at the server
console. This is not likely to be the right thing for production use
-- either in terms of security or in terms of useability.

2. The New->Desktop... menu item sends
KStandardHarness>>makeDesktop:, which is the START of a more
production-oriented version of the above. The Croquet user that first
creates the new desktop is prompted for a URL, which is given to each
replicated instance of the XrfbClient embedded application. The idea
here is that the clients do not just create to a wide open desktop.
Instead, they each use a simple http protocol to pass the url and
ObjectID to a little server running somewhere. That server ensures
that there is a "jailed" vnc session running "just the right
application" only (creating the session if necessary), and answering
the appropriate VNC display number for that session. The client then
connects to that display.  For example, of the URL ends in .pdf, the
server runs a PDF viewer in the VNC session. If one of the users
exits the PDF viewer, everyone is just left with a useless background
and no shell in which to create trouble. If the URL ends in .doc, a
Word-compatible application is run. Otherwise, Firefox is run.

All of this fancy server-side stuff is probably way more than you
need, and I don't really recommed trying to emulate it.  It's real
purpose is to be able to have an open demonstration of a Croquet
connection to a VNC server, and for security reasons, that's just not
likely to happen using the raw stuff of (1).  Alas, all this
demonstration stuff is not released yet. However, the repository is
open, and you can download and use it. The fancy XRFB server is
running, and you're welcome to use the software to connect to it.
Just be aware that it's still being worked on.

NONE OF THIS HAS HAD ANY TUNING. We're taking an approach of 1) make
it work, 2) make it work reliably enough, 3) make it work fast
enough. I figure we're pretty close to being done with 2 (but not
quite). I think the performance is within an order of magnitude of
being good enough for many purposes (and my experience is that if a
first version is within an order of magnitude of good enough, then
tweaking can get it the rest of the way). But I do NOT think that
this particular approach is ever going to be fast enough to, for
example, play a highly-responsive Flash Internet game in a browser on
a remote VNCserver displaying in a client within Croquet.