Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

jrm

Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

jrm
Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?

If so what are the options?

-jrm

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:28 PM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

since there's not a lot interest anymore in SqueakSource3, I'm giving up maintenanceship.

Here's the project:
        http://squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html
Here's the current bug tracker:
        https://github.com/krono/squeaksource3/issues

It runs on Squeak, GemStone, and Pharo.

There are a few instances out there, running without any problems.

Any Takers?
        -t

Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

David T. Lewis
Hi Tobias,

I overlooked your original message (thanks John-Reed for replying). I
am not a developer on any of the various squeaksources, but I am very
interested in keeping the ecosystem healthy. No way I can take the lead
on this, but if you could add me as a developer on the project, I would
appreciate it for possible future contributions.

Thanks,
Dave

On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 04:41:52PM -0700, John-Reed Maffeo wrote:

> Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?
>
> If so what are the options?
>
> -jrm
>

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:28 PM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > since there's not a lot interest anymore in SqueakSource3, I'm giving up
> > maintenanceship.
> >
> > Here's the project:
> >         http://squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html
> > Here's the current bug tracker:
> >         https://github.com/krono/squeaksource3/issues
> >
> > It runs on Squeak, GemStone, and Pharo.
> >
> > There are a few instances out there, running without any problems.
> >
> > Any Takers?
> >         -t

Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

Tobias Pape
Hi John,

> On 06.01.2019, at 00:41, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?

To be frank, I planned to upgrade that instances for 8 years or so but never managed it.
That being said, besides having a few (known!) bugs, it runs quite fine since then…
I suppose it will run quite a while still, as long as GemStone is ok with that (which they have been since the beginning :D)

Best regards
        -Tobias

> If so what are the options?

Among other things (see the kind-of git exodus), one can always host ones own SqueakSource, whether the original variant (a bit hard to come by…) or SqueakSource3 (on Squeak or GemStone or Pharo…). Also, if all else is too hard, a WebServer that supports HTTP PUT (ie, a fraction of WebDAV), that works, too!

Best regards
        -Tobias

> -jrm
>

> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:28 PM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since there's not a lot interest anymore in SqueakSource3, I'm giving up maintenanceship.
>
> Here's the project:
>         http://squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html
> Here's the current bug tracker:
>         https://github.com/krono/squeaksource3/issues
>
> It runs on Squeak, GemStone, and Pharo.
>
> There are a few instances out there, running without any problems.
>
> Any Takers?
>         -t

Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

Tobias Pape

> On 06.01.2019, at 01:17, David T. Lewis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tobias,
>
> I overlooked your original message (thanks John-Reed for replying). I
> am not a developer on any of the various squeaksources, but I am very
> interested in keeping the ecosystem healthy. No way I can take the lead
> on this, but if you could add me as a developer on the project, I would
> appreciate it for possible future contributions.

Done! And Thank you:)

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Thanks,
> Dave
>

> On Sat, Jan 05, 2019 at 04:41:52PM -0700, John-Reed Maffeo wrote:
>> Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?
>>
>> If so what are the options?
>>
>> -jrm
>>

>> On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 2:28 PM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> since there's not a lot interest anymore in SqueakSource3, I'm giving up
>>> maintenanceship.
>>>
>>> Here's the project:
>>>        http://squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html
>>> Here's the current bug tracker:
>>>        https://github.com/krono/squeaksource3/issues
>>>
>>> It runs on Squeak, GemStone, and Pharo.
>>>
>>> There are a few instances out there, running without any problems.
>>>
>>> Any Takers?
>>>        -t

Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

Dale Henrichs-3

On 1/15/19 11:47 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
> Hi John,
>
>> On 06.01.2019, at 00:41, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?
> To be frank, I planned to upgrade that instances for 8 years or so but never managed it.
> That being said, besides having a few (known!) bugs, it runs quite fine since then…
> I suppose it will run quite a while still, as long as GemStone is ok with that (which they have been since the beginning :D)

We have no plans to decommission http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ in the
foreseeable future ... it would be nice to upgrade to the latest version
of SqueakSource3, but I imagine that it would be a bit of an effort to
plan and test the migration plan ... still on my todo list:)

Dale

Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

Chris Muller-3
> > Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?
> >
> > If so what are the options?
>
> Among other things (see the kind-of git exodus), one can always host ones own SqueakSource, whether the original variant (a bit hard to come by…)

Just to clarify, the original variant is actually very easy to
come-by, one-click installable from directly within the image.  It's
the "Personal SqueakSource" package available in SqueakMap since the
last few Squeak releases.

 - Chris

Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

Tobias Pape

> On 15.01.2019, at 22:15, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 1/15/19 11:47 AM, Tobias Pape wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>>> On 06.01.2019, at 00:41, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?
>> To be frank, I planned to upgrade that instances for 8 years or so but never managed it.
>> That being said, besides having a few (known!) bugs, it runs quite fine since then…
>> I suppose it will run quite a while still, as long as GemStone is ok with that (which they have been since the beginning :D)
>
> We have no plans to decommission http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ in the foreseeable future ... it would be nice to upgrade to the latest version of SqueakSource3, but I imagine that it would be a bit of an effort to plan and test the migration plan ... still on my todo list:)

Thanks Dale, that's what I thought.

-t

Re: I am abandoning SqueakSource3, any takers?

Tobias Pape

> On 17.01.2019, at 00:40, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Does this affect the long term viability of http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ ?
>>>
>>> If so what are the options?
>>
>> Among other things (see the kind-of git exodus), one can always host ones own SqueakSource, whether the original variant (a bit hard to come by…)
>
> Just to clarify, the original variant is actually very easy to
> come-by, one-click installable from directly within the image.  It's
> the "Personal SqueakSource" package available in SqueakMap since the
> last few Squeak releases.

ok. by original i meant the "original" as it was when I started on SqueakSource3. That still uses seaside pre-2.8 and I'm pretty sure nobody maintains that anymore.

I cannot speak for the rest.
-t