Re: Importing content into Croquet

1 message Options

Re: Importing content into Croquet

Howard Stearns

On Feb 23, 2007, at 11:09 PM, haggai wrote:

> Hi Howard,
>
> I just tried importing a textured object that I brought in from
> Maya.  In the
> SDK 1.0 Import object worked well.

Cool!

> The same worked well in CC using New -> From
> file.  dragging in the .ase files errored in both cases.

Both of these use exactly the same code once the file is opened:
    harness dropFile: stream

The difference is that the one that worked opened the file with:
    FileDirectory default readOnlyFileNamed: nameString
resulting in a UTF8 text converter, while the one that didn't was
getting the stream in a more buried way resulting in Latin1.

Will that make a difference in .ASE?

> The object I tried are cylinder and torus, (which is usually what
> some of us
> like to test on.)
>
> The first thing I noticed is that clipping occured when your avatar
> 'step-in'
> into the object. the objects appear as they are using 'back-
> culling', or the
> normals are reversed. In any case. The objects completely
> disappear. I guess
> this might be some optimization flag that needs to be set
> differently. If I am
> not wrong, as-is, creating an indoor space such as four walls made
> of one mesh
> will not be possible.
>
> Secondly the textures do not map correctly by default and I am
> wondering how I
> could control that.

Have to ask the smart guys on these two.

> Thirdly, Can we possibly transform (translation and rotation) the
> 3d objects we
> import?

Sure. Once it's in, it's an object. Do whatever you want to it.:

- Programatically, set examples of the use of all the fun methods in
the 'transform' method category of the TFrame class.

- Interactively, just hover your mouse over the object until you see
the blue 3D buttons above it. Click the + sign button to open an a
sort of editor box:
    -- Drag a face of the box to drag in the plan of that face
    -- Drag the edges to rotate about the obvious axis.
    -- Drag the corners to resize. (Currently resize isomorphically.
I'd like it to leave the opposite corner in position.)
Click the - sign button to close the editor.

warning: The crash logs from the Collaborative suggest that there
might be some intermittent bug when using this on the WAN.