Re: In the hacker news // Squeak on Raspberry Pi

Re: In the hacker news // Squeak on Raspberry Pi

Hannes Hirzel
Karl,

Thank you for the links.

Main improvements of the new Squeak version on Raspberry Pi are

-    a significant increase in speed, Scratch up to 10 times faster
     (thanks to Cog by Eliot Miranda)
-    the addition of a built-in GPIO server.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-new-version-of-scratch-for-raspberry-pi-now-with-added-gpio/

Is there a page with more details?

--Hannes

On 10/10/15, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 7:20 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> > On 10-10-2015, at 2:10 AM, karl ramberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hackaday post:
>> >
>> http://hackaday.com/2015/10/08/latest-raspberry-pi-images-have-improved-scratch/
>> >
>> > Hacker News post:
>> > https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=10363088
>> >

>> On the one hand publicity is good, on the other... just read the
>> comments.
>> Sigh. So many idiots.
>>
> I'll cut them some slack :-)
> There is only so much attention span around. Once it runs out, the result
> is quite random.
> And the rabbit hole runs very deep on projects like Scratch, with several
> implementations etc.
>
> Karl
>

>> tim
>> --
>> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
>> Strange OpCodes: CPE: Create Parity Error

Re: In the hacker news // Squeak on Raspberry Pi

timrowledge

> On 10-10-2015, at 3:59 PM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Main improvements of the new Squeak version on Raspberry Pi are
>
> -    a significant increase in speed, Scratch up to 10 times faster
>     (thanks to Cog by Eliot Miranda)

Having a Cog VM is responsible for ~ 3x of that, probably. There’s a *lot* of other stuff that has gone into speeding up Scratch on the Pi.

There’s a first pass at a technical manual/ tutorial for that at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/usage/scratch/gpio/README.md

> https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/a-new-version-of-scratch-for-raspberry-pi-now-with-added-gpio/
>
> Is there a page with more details?

There isn’t a lot more to say for general consumption. Eliot has some discussions of Cog on his blog, the gpio stuff is documented as above and all the other stuff is just better written Smalltalk. Oh, and the faster ARM bitBLT that Ben Avison wrote for me. That’s been in the vm sources for a couple of years I think.

There are also a couple of podcasts done recently on the subject of Pi/Squeak/Scratch -
http://thepipodcast.com/the-pi-podcast-4-tim-rowledge-scratch/
http://smalltalkinspect.podspot.de/post/028-en-current-situation-smaltalk-under-piarm/

tim
EBCDIC: Erase, Back up, Chew Disk, Ignite Card