Re:Navigation

1 message Options

Re:Navigation

David Faught
Chris Muller wrote:
>I hope you guys don't mind my commenting about this..

As long as there is an honest interest, I think it's "the more the merrier."  Nobody minds, although many of the list members are probably getting tired of hearing from me ...

>I think independent look and movement is essential
>simply because I cannot get 3d-information quickly and
>fluidly enough without it. A simple example is
>there's a complex 3d object and I want to see it from
>all sides. Circle-strafing around it is easy with
>independent move and look.

The implementation of the "wasd" keys for movement decoupled looking and moving for Croquet.  I believe that this is (still) in the upcoming Hedgehog release of Croquet.  I don't think that circle-strafing is part of this, although it could easily be done.  What kind of radius would you like on that circle?  For your simple example, spinning the object exactly 1 revolution about whatever axis you choose might be better.

>Yes it is natural to be able to stand near an object
>and interact with it even if it is not directly in
>front of you. It is equally natural to be able to
>walk straight ahead and look off to the left or right.
>Not able to do this in the (lower-bandwidth) 3d
>environment makes me feel like I'm driving a car with
>only a window out the front. It's just way too slow
>and cumbersome of an interaction, and even somewhat
>claustrophobic (for me) because I find myself craning
>my neck to look where I'm headed because the system
>isn't taking me there quickly enough. I think some
>people will say, "this is neato, but I need to get
>work done now, please give me back my 2d desktop where
>I can alt+tab between my apps".

Some portion of this thread has been about possibly loosely coupling looking and pointing/selecting.  Having moving, looking, and pointing all decoupled requires some dexterity with a normal keyboard and mouse to move about in the complex ways that we all easily do in normal life.

>So, what to do about input then? I, too, don't care
>for modes but this might be an exception. In real
>life there is a natural "mode" of working with an
>object in real life known as "sitting down".
>
>Most of the time, we want to work with something in a
>detailed way we sit down. When we want to move about
>or go somewhere, we stand up. These two different
>"modes" in real life may translate well to life in
>Croquet.

That's an intriguing idea, but sitting down only suspends movement, not looking or pointing.  How then to tell the difference between looking and pointing in the 3D space, and interaction with menus, listboxs, radio buttons, text boxes, etc. in the GUI?