Re: [Newbies] AMB

Stéphane Rollandin
>> I would have been unable to implement this by myself ! This is a port of the
>> code by Dorai Sitaram which is the reference documentation for amb:
>>
>> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dorai/t-y-scheme/t-y-scheme-Z-H-16.html#node_chap_14

It seems the proper address is now
http://ds26gte.github.io/tyscheme/index-Z-H-16.html#node_idx_470

Everything is explained there.

Re: [Newbies] AMB

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Stéphane Rollandin wrote
> Everything is explained there.

Thank you for the pointer. I did read the docs, and it's not that I don't
understand the mechanics of using the class, it's just that I don't
understand why people are excited about it. I was wondering what it enables
or makes significantly easier or more powerful that one would bother loading
a project with just those handful of methods. I have a sense that I'm
missing some important meaning here…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: [Newbies] AMB

Stéphane Rollandin
> Thank you for the pointer. I did read the docs, and it's not that I don't
> understand the mechanics of using the class, it's just that I don't
> understand why people are excited about it. I was wondering what it enables
> or makes significantly easier or more powerful that one would bother loading
> a project with just those handful of methods. I have a sense that I'm
> missing some important meaning here…

Well the way I see it is that it allows whole classes of contraint
systems to be handled in a declarative way. That's only one of its
aspect, actually: like all continuation-based construct, it is not too
intuitive at first.

In my own experience, in music composition, I used it for example to
generate the complete set of rhythmic cells of the same length that can
be composed from beats of different values.

Stef