Re: [Newbies] Quinto game in SBE

dcorking
Bill Kerr wrote:

> Problems:
> 1) the final line of the SBECell initialize method:
> self turnOff
> triggers a MessageNotUnderstood error
> doesNotUnderstand: #turnOff

> turns out that my problem was that I was using an old 3.8 image
>
> I learnt from the book how to file out and file in - as soon as I tested my
> code in the 3.9 image it worked fine!
>
>  A friend sent me some other information from the bugs site pointing out a
> bug in SimpleSwitchMorph in earlier versions:
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=3530

> switch functionality

In 2007,  many people's introduction to Squeak may be with an image
derived from 3.8 (*).  So I wonder if the book should not mention this
patch prominently at the start of the First Application chapter.

By the way, I probably learned a lot about Squeak by wrestling with
this for a while this weekend without access to internet or a 3.9
image :)

David

(*) such as Croquet SDK, OLPC Etoys ...

Re: Re: [Newbies] Quinto game in SBE

Andreas.Raab
Hi David -

If you can find a bit of time to assemble a set of patches which will
make those examples work, I'd be happy to fold them into the system to
make sure these examples work out of the box.

Cheers,
   - Andreas

David Corking wrote:

> Bill Kerr wrote:
>
>> Problems:
>> 1) the final line of the SBECell initialize method:
>> self turnOff
>> triggers a MessageNotUnderstood error
>> doesNotUnderstand: #turnOff

>> turns out that my problem was that I was using an old 3.8 image
>>
>> I learnt from the book how to file out and file in - as soon as I tested my
>> code in the 3.9 image it worked fine!
>>
>>  A friend sent me some other information from the bugs site pointing out a
>> bug in SimpleSwitchMorph in earlier versions:
>>  http://bugs.squeak.org/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=3530

>> switch functionality
>
> In 2007,  many people's introduction to Squeak may be with an image
> derived from 3.8 (*).  So I wonder if the book should not mention this
> patch prominently at the start of the First Application chapter.
>
> By the way, I probably learned a lot about Squeak by wrestling with
> this for a while this weekend without access to internet or a 3.9
> image :)
>
> David
>
> (*) such as Croquet SDK, OLPC Etoys ...

Re: [Newbies] Quinto game in SBE

onierstrasz

Hi David,

I made a note to underline this for the next edition.  It *is* stated
prominently at the beginning of the Quick Start chapter, but I guess
the chapters should be more independent of each other for the Quicker
Starters!

Thanks for the feedback!

Oscar

On Sep 24, 2007, at 19:10, David Corking wrote:

> In 2007,  many people's introduction to Squeak may be with an image
> derived from 3.8 (*).  So I wonder if the book should not mention this
> patch prominently at the start of the First Application chapter.
>
> By the way, I probably learned a lot about Squeak by wrestling with
> this for a while this weekend without access to internet or a 3.9
> image :)

Re: Quinto game in SBE

Bert Freudenberg
Likewise for OLPC.

- Bert -

On 9/24/07, Oscar Nierstrasz  wrote:

> I made a note to underline this for the next edition.  It *is* stated
> prominently at the beginning of the Quick Start chapter, but I guess
> the chapters should be more independent of each other for the Quicker
> Starters!

Yes I did see that, but to be honest I thought I was more likely to be
at fault than the image forks I was playing with (and I didn't have
internet access to try >= 3.9 image at the time) !    Since the 3.8
forks have become as mainstream as 'mainstream' then a footnote where
the dependency arises will be a nice extra touch.

On the other hand, the issue shows a real, if small, benefit of a
production fork tracking mainstream where compatible.

Bert wrote:
> Likewise for OLPC.

I was under the impression that Marcus's changeset was likely to be an
adequate patch.
http://bugs.squeak.org/file_download.php?file_id=1399&type=bug
However, I will try it against the OLPC and Croquet images on my
desktop and report back.

I will need to read more of SBE to learn not to use 'diff' and 'patch' :)

David

Re: Re: [Newbies] Quinto game in SBE

dcorking
Andreas, I am following up on an old thread,

On 9/24/07, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Hi David -
>
> If you can find a bit of time to assemble a set of patches which will
> make those examples work, I'd be happy to fold them into the system to
> make sure these examples work out of the box.

I tested Marcus Denker's original changeset SwitchMorphEnh.2.cs at
http://bugs.squeak.org/file_download.php?file_id=1399&type=bug
in a Croquet SDK image
Croquet.1.0.18.9
from the Wisconsin Croquet Collaborative.

If works great and the example First Application in Squeak By Example
is perfectly playable as it should be.  Hope that helps.

Would you like me to test against any other images?

David

David Corking wrote:
> I tested Marcus Denker's original changeset SwitchMorphEnh.2.cs at
> http://bugs.squeak.org/file_download.php?file_id=1399&type=bug
> in a Croquet SDK image
> Croquet.1.0.18.9
>>from the Wisconsin Croquet Collaborative.
>
> If works great and the example First Application in Squeak By Example
> is perfectly playable as it should be.  Hope that helps.

It will, thanks!

> Would you like me to test against any other images?

It may be useful to see if it works for the OLPC line of images as well.

Cheers,
   - Andreas