Re: [Newbies] Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file.

Re: [Newbies] Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file.

Tobias Pape
[cc squeak-dev]

I'm puzzled.
I though the All-In-One was signed and should not be reported as damaged?

Best
        -Tobias

On 26.09.2014, at 12:47, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually, isn't it only that double-clicking the app does not work? If you right-click and select "Open" it should let you run it.
>
> - Bert -
>
> On 26.09.2014, at 06:11, Henrik Aagaard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you! :)
>>
>>> On 25/09/2014, at 22.26, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is just how "security" works at Apple. The cause and the fix is explained here: http://www.yourkit.com/download/mountain_lion.html
>>>
>>> I think we should add a similar note to the zip file, and the website too.
>>>

>>> Levente

> - Bert -

Re: [Newbies] Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file.

Levente Uzonyi-2
Someone with experience in this areat should check if the signature is
valid, and the info.plist file is correct.

Levente

On 29.09.2014, at 17:59, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 5:59 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [cc squeak-dev]
>>
>> I'm puzzled.
>> I though the All-In-One was signed and should not be reported as damaged?
>
> It was signed back in May when we released, but just a couple of weeks
> ago, recall we discovered that issue with the ".ini" file used by the
> Windows VM where the 3ButtonMouse setting wasn't set.
>
> So, I set it, stuffed it back into the All-In-One zip, re-uploaded it,
> and asked someone to verify Mac.
>
> Someone did and it was fine.
>
> So maybe this is not the problem...?  Or should it be checked again?
Probably Craig can do that.
Craig?

Best
        -tobias

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment

re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file.

ccrraaiigg

Hoi Tobias--

> Probably Craig can [check the Mac signature on the current release of
> the Squeak 4.5 app]. Craig?

     Hm, yes, that Gatekeeper error is what you get when Gatekeeper is
turned on and allows apps signed by identified developers, but the app
signature doesn't correspond to the contents. The manual Gatekeeper
override (opening the app from the menu get by control-clicking or
right-clicking) doesn't work. The only way to open such an app is to
turn Gatekeeper off. However, after the first time you open it, you can
always open it, regardless of Gatekeeper's state after that. See [1].

     Just when all that seems intelligible (albeit annoying), there's a
new wrinkle with Mac OS 10.9.5. Oh joy! :)  Apparently you can no longer
have arbitrary things (like super-evil malicious code, or super-helpful
documentation) floating around the app folder tree outside the
"Resources" folder. I had to move all that stuff (in this case, the
host-dependent-but-non-Macish code and resources) before I could sign it
again.

     I imagine there will be differing opinions about where that stuff
should go and what it should be called, but in the meantime I made a
choice, fixed the start.sh script for Linux, signed the app, and put it
at [2].

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290
[2] http://bit.ly/1CBwx1I (Dropbox)

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file.

Tobias Pape
Hi Craig,

On 30.09.2014, at 01:26, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi Tobias--
>
>> Probably Craig can [check the Mac signature on the current release of
>> the Squeak 4.5 app]. Craig?
>
>     Hm, yes, that Gatekeeper error is what you get when Gatekeeper is
> turned on and allows apps signed by identified developers, but the app
> signature doesn't correspond to the contents. The manual Gatekeeper
> override (opening the app from the menu get by control-clicking or
> right-clicking) doesn't work. The only way to open such an app is to
> turn Gatekeeper off. However, after the first time you open it, you can
> always open it, regardless of Gatekeeper's state after that. See [1].
>
>     Just when all that seems intelligible (albeit annoying), there's a
> new wrinkle with Mac OS 10.9.5. Oh joy! :)  Apparently you can no longer
> have arbitrary things (like super-evil malicious code, or super-helpful
> documentation) floating around the app folder tree outside the
> "Resources" folder. I had to move all that stuff (in this case, the
> host-dependent-but-non-Macish code and resources) before I could sign it
> again.
>
>     I imagine there will be differing opinions about where that stuff
> should go and what it should be called, but in the meantime I made a
> choice, fixed the start.sh script for Linux, signed the app, and put it
> at [2].

\o/

Great, thank you!.

Can someoneā„¢ please upload?

Best
        -Tobias

>     thanks,
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290
> [2] http://bit.ly/1CBwx1I (Dropbox)
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> netjam.org
> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file.

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hoi Tobias--
>
>> Probably Craig can [check the Mac signature on the current release of
>> the Squeak 4.5 app]. Craig?
>
>      Hm, yes, that Gatekeeper error is what you get when Gatekeeper is
> turned on and allows apps signed by identified developers, but the app
> signature doesn't correspond to the contents. The manual Gatekeeper
> override (opening the app from the menu get by control-clicking or
> right-clicking) doesn't work. The only way to open such an app is to
> turn Gatekeeper off. However, after the first time you open it, you can
> always open it, regardless of Gatekeeper's state after that. See [1].
>
>      Just when all that seems intelligible (albeit annoying), there's a
> new wrinkle with Mac OS 10.9.5. Oh joy! :)  Apparently you can no longer
> have arbitrary things (like super-evil malicious code, or super-helpful
> documentation) floating around the app folder tree outside the
> "Resources" folder. I had to move all that stuff (in this case, the
> host-dependent-but-non-Macish code and resources) before I could sign it
> again.

This is a big problem for the All-In-One.  The purpose of the
All-In-One is to be *accessible* to the widest possible audience.
This new structure makes it not very user-friendly for new Squeak
users using Windows or Linux.

Before, everything was in the root folder, and Windows users would
recognize "squeak.exe" while Linux users would recognize "squeak.sh".
Mac users had whatever they needed.  Now, are you saying those folks
are supposed navigate down into the
./Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/hostDependentNonMac directory to
look for the executable and .sh file?

Wait, I'm not seeing squeak.sh at all anywhere..

We probably need to discuss this.  I'm not sure I understand the point
of an All-In-One that is as hard for a new user to figure out as
simply downloading the individual pieces or maybe 3 separate downloads
one per OS or maybe just go back to the old All-In-One format but call
it Windows/Linux make Mac separate..?

>      I imagine there will be differing opinions about where that stuff
> should go and what it should be called, but in the meantime I made a
> choice, fixed the start.sh script for Linux, signed the app, and put it
> at [2].
>

>      thanks,
>
> -C
>
> [1] http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5290
> [2] http://bit.ly/1CBwx1I (Dropbox)
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> netjam.org
> +31 6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415 287 3547 (no SMS)

re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file.

ccrraaiigg

> Now, are you saying those folks are supposed navigate down into the
> ./Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/hostDependentNonMac directory to
> look for the executable and .sh file?

     Well, getting them into .../Contents seems plausible, because it's
the only place to go from the root. (Of course I think it's silly that
Apple won't even let me put a README there, but it's still tolerable.)
>From there, getting them into a directory with a suitably-obvious name
seems reasonable (perhaps "LinuxAndWindows" is sufficient, to go with
its sibling "MacOS"). We could put a README in .../Contents as well,
explaining how to start Squeak in detail (all three sentences of it :).

     I did these things and updated the signed app[1]. Not sure how
squeak.sh got left out before, as I did test on Linux; sorry. Here's
hoping that the signing process, the zipping process, and the
Dropbox-upload-and-download process aren't messing with shell script
files. :)

     Personally, I still prefer the all-in-one approach. I think it's
still accessible for new users (that's the feedback I get from new
users, anyway). I think separate downloads actually become more
complicated for both new users and the maintainers over time.

     Each "per-platform" artifact effectively becomes a multi-platform
effort anyway, as each host platform becomes multiple platforms unto
itself (to support different versions of the host OS, e.g., Windows 7
vs. Windows 8, 32-bit vs. 64-bit, etc.). It ends up resulting in more
choices for new users to get wrong, and more structure for the hosting
maintainers to get wrong.

     Users lose the significant convenience of having a single artifact
to take between platforms. I actually do meet new users who care about
platform portability. We can also make the Squeak app manage multiple
user images, so users need not have multiple copies of the Squeak app
around just to run multiple images, nor need to understand any
conventions about the Resources folder. That makes having a single
artifact that can move between platforms even more valuable. The
web-based launcher in Spoon is my approach to that; I'm writing the next
version of it now.

     thanks again,

-C

[1] http://bit.ly/1CBwx1I