Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Simon Michael
Hello croqueteers - here is a summary of a recent squeak-dev thread, with a
suggestion/tip for bloggers at the end. I should have cc'd you in the first
place, but could not post here from gmane and hoped to avoid subscribing
directly.

Best,
-Simon

Simon Michael wrote in "POLL: merge squeak and   croquet planets ?":

> should we merge planet.croquet.org with planet.squeak.org ?
>
> Against:
>
> - some people interested in croquet won't want to read all of the
> general squeak stuff, and vice-versa, especially in future as both
> squeak and croquet posts increase.
>
> For:
>
> - blogs don't fall cleanly into the squeak or croquet camp; they touch
> on both topics, vary over time, and it's not always possible to segment
> the feed by category tags. If you include blogs on both, readers of both
> planets will see annoying duplicates. If you don't, readers of one
> planet will miss some interesting posts on the other.
>
> - both planets are fairly low volume at this point in time, and at least
> for now one planet would be simpler and more convenient for some readers.

and:
 > Thanks. That's one for and one against, so it seems we are keeping the
 > status quo (separate planets).
 >
 > When blogs cover both (like propella.*, recently suggested for planet
 > squeak by Bert) I'll try to subscribe them using topic-specific feeds if
 > available, otherwise it will be a judgement call whether to subscribe
 > them to just one or to both. Your corrections and darcs patches will
 > help keep this current.

and in "how to make your blog more syndicatable":
 > PS, to recap: in the first case above, some interesting posts will be
 > missed by one of the planets from time to time.
 >
 > In the second case, enthusiasts who follow both planets (eg in google
 > reader, like me) will see duplicated posts fairly often.
 >
 > I guess I'll propose, then, if you are a blogspot author posting on both
 > general squeak and croquet topics, please consider enabling and using
 > the topic tags ("Labels") feature. (And any equivalent if you use some
 > other blog software).
 >
 > You may need to upgrade to the newer version of blogspot, which is a
 > good idea in any case. Then you can tag some posts with "croquet", some
 > with "squeak", some with both - and the planets can subscribe to
 > ".../search/label/squeak" and ".../search/label/croquet". You get the
 > idea. I know it's a bit more hassle when you just want to blog, but it
 > seems like the best way to deliver the content people want to see.
 > Comments and alternatives welcome.

Re: Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Paul Sheldon-2
I think that polling whether they should merge or not sort of "hurts".

They aren't separate. But everyone could worry about what appropriately
belongs on one list or the other and that would be the only
conversation on each list.

Croquet happens on the squeak virtual machine and
you get error messages in squeak.

I'd like to know how to paste callback chains to expert system programmers
who know what happened on my end not to be "forced" to read them.
But, sometimes I break my own rules and force myself to read
something I am ignorant of even though terrified.
Then I want the company in my terror of ignorant people
on a list that isn't full of experts bored with my bravery.

I must get back to my aged mother.

I've seen a list die worrying about what was appropriate to post
and I think a poll suggests an unforgiving nature to the list
that frightens the list.

Should we do this or that might "hurt".

I am embarrassed not to find better words.

Re: Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Simon Michael
Hello,

don't worry - this was just me just inviting ideas to help me make the planet.squeak.org and planet.croquet.org blog-aggregating sites most effective. It's not about the mail lists at all. The big "POLL" in the original subject was to alert folks that they might want to respond to influence things. I hope this makes things clearer.

Generally, I agree with your point that excessive rules about where to post, how to post etc. can be harmful.

Re: Re: POLL: merge squeak and croquet planets ?

Howard Stearns
Thanks for your work on planet aggregation, Simon.  I don't want you
to take a lack of response as a lack of appreciation.

Personally, I just don't have a strong opinion.