Re: [Pharo-dev] Windows 10 crash - LoadLibrary(SurfacePlugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.

1 message Options

Re: [Pharo-dev] Windows 10 crash - LoadLibrary(SurfacePlugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Andrei,

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 7:43 AM, Andrei Chis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

On Windows 10 with the Pharo 6 release and the latest vm [1] I get the following crash when attempting to save the image after doing some more intensive computations:

# Debug console
# To close: F2 -> 'debug options' -> 'show output console'
# To disable: F2 -> 'debug options' -> 'show console on errors'
LoadLibrary(SurfacePlugin) (998: Invalid access to memory location.

)
LoadLibrary(SurfacePlugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.

)
LoadLibrary(c:\pharo6\SurfacePlugin) (998: Invalid access to memory location.

)
LoadLibrary(c:\pharo6\SurfacePlugin.dll) (998: Invalid access to memory location.

)
[...]

The image take around 600MB before the crash but that is expected.
I've seen that this error was appearing before in the past.
Any suggestions of how to debug it?

Build a console VM (you should see PharoConsoleUnstripped.exe in build/vm, buildast/vm & builddbg/vm) and run under gdb from a console window.  Make sure the Pharo window doesn't obscure the console window so you can notice when a crash happens.  You'll then be able to get a backtrace, see where the illegal access is, what the system is trying to do, etc.

If you're lost in gdb, when you get the crash Skype me and we can try and look at it together.

best, Eliot