Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash

Mariano Martinez Peck

also...shouldn't be a crash/dump file somewhere?

can you write the output of the console where you invoke the VM into a file ?   (using > to redirect)

Cheers

Mariano

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello all,

I have an account on an Ubuntu terminal server (at least I think that's what it would be called) running 10.10.  The Cog one-click image crashes with "Segmentation fault" (if run from a terminal); the legacy VM seems to run the image nicely on the box.  Any ideas?  I will happily collect any facts that will be of help, but I need some
direction.

Bill

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
|

FW: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Gratuitous default recipient...

If there is a verbose dump option or other diagnostic efforts that will help, I will do my best to run them and report the results.  I am fairly certain the vm is 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.54]' (can verify later today), but this happened with an earlier Cog one-click too.  There is something about the machine (UUID again?) that is different.  I do not have root access to it, but I can get to a terminal.  Ubuntu 10.10.

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 7:44 AM
To: Mariano Martinez Peck
Subject: RE: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash

Mariano,

I first identified this problem/opportunity a while ago.  At the time, there was no log - the vm just died.  I can sniff around again as there might be one this time.  My question at the time was whether there was something that I could enable to perhaps get more info.

The output from the vm is, and I quote<g> "Segmentation fault".  There is no other output.  Perhaps it does not get far enough to have a call stack??

Bill

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 3:42 AM
To: Squeak Development Discussion Virtual Machine; Pharo Development
Cc: Schwab,Wilhelm K
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash

can you write the output of the console where you invoke the VM into a file ?   (using > to redirect)

Cheers

Mariano

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Hello all,

I have an account on an Ubuntu terminal server (at least I think that's what it would be called) running 10.10.  The Cog one-click image crashes with "Segmentation fault" (if run from a terminal); the legacy VM seems to run the image nicely on the box.  Any ideas?  I will happily collect any facts that will be of help, but I need some
direction.

Bill

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: FW: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash

David T. Lewis

Yes, the libuuid.so bug would be a likely suspect. If the UUIDPlugin was
built as an external library, just delete it and you will probably be
good to go.

If you need further info, look here:
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358

Dave

On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 07:58:39AM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

>
> Gratuitous default recipient...
>
> If there is a verbose dump option or other diagnostic efforts that will help, I will do my best to run them and report the results.  I am fairly certain the vm is 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.54]' (can verify later today), but this happened with an earlier Cog one-click too.  There is something about the machine (UUID again?) that is different.  I do not have root access to it, but I can get to a terminal.  Ubuntu 10.10.
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: Schwab,Wilhelm K
> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 7:44 AM
> To: Mariano Martinez Peck
> Subject: RE: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash
>
> Mariano,
>
> I first identified this problem/opportunity a while ago.  At the time, there was no log - the vm just died.  I can sniff around again as there might be one this time.  My question at the time was whether there was something that I could enable to perhaps get more info.
>
> The output from the vm is, and I quote<g> "Segmentation fault".  There is no other output.  Perhaps it does not get far enough to have a call stack??
>
> Bill
>
>
>
> From: Mariano Martinez Peck [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 3:42 AM
> To: Squeak Development Discussion Virtual Machine; Pharo Development
> Cc: Schwab,Wilhelm K
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash
>
> also...shouldn't be a crash/dump file somewhere?
>
> can you write the output of the console where you invoke the VM into a file ?   (using > to redirect)
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have an account on an Ubuntu terminal server (at least I think that's what it would be called) running 10.10.  The Cog one-click image crashes with "Segmentation fault" (if run from a terminal); the legacy VM seems to run the image nicely on the box.  Any ideas?  I will happily collect any facts that will be of help, but I need some
> direction.
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi-2
In reply to this post by Schwab,Wilhelm K

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

>
>
> If there is a verbose dump option or other diagnostic efforts that will help, I will do my best to run them and report the results.  I am fairly certain the vm is 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.54]' (can verify later today), but this happened with an earlier Cog one-click too.  There is something about the machine (UUID again?) that is different.  I do not have root access to it, but I can get to a terminal.  Ubuntu 10.10.

Where did you download the VM?
Does it crash when you're trying to evaluate [UUID new]?
Did you try gdb?

Levente

>
>
>
> Mariano,
>
> I first identified this problem/opportunity a while ago.  At the time, there was no log - the vm just died.  I can sniff around again as there might be one this time.  My question at the time was whether there was something that I could enable to perhaps get more info.
>
> The output from the vm is, and I quote<g> "Segmentation fault".  There is no other output.  Perhaps it does not get far enough to have a call stack??
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
> can you write the output of the console where you invoke the VM into a file ?   (using > to redirect)
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have an account on an Ubuntu terminal server (at least I think that's what it would be called) running 10.10.  The Cog one-click image crashes with "Segmentation fault" (if run from a terminal); the legacy VM seems to run the image nicely on the box.  Any ideas?  I will happily collect any facts that will be of help, but I need some
> direction.
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano
>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: [Pharo-project] [Vm-dev] FW: Debugging Cog crash

Schwab,Wilhelm K
In reply to this post by David T. Lewis

Dave,

It was, I did :)  No help :(  What else can I try?

Bill

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 10:32 AM
To: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion
Cc: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] [Vm-dev] FW:  Debugging Cog crash

good to go.

Dave

>
>
>
>
>
> Mariano,
>
>
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> Hello all,
>
> direction.
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Levente,

The image will not load at all.  It simply dies with "Segmentation fault" - NOTHING else happens.  gdb is maybe a possibility, but it is not an approach I ordinarily take, so some guidance would be helpful.

I have a reproducible crash, but poor access to the affected box.

Bill

>
>

Did you try gdb?

Levente

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:42 AM
To: [hidden email]; Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion

Dave,

Bill

good to go.

Dave

>
>
>
>
>
> Mariano,
>
>
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> Hello all,
>
> direction.
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi-2

>
> Levente,
>
> The image will not load at all.  It simply dies with "Segmentation fault" - NOTHING else happens.  gdb is maybe a possibility, but it is not an approach I ordinarily take, so some guidance would be helpful.
>
> I have a reproducible crash, but poor access to the affected box.

You still didn't answer where you got the VM.
If you can execute gdb, you have everything you need to find the cause of
the bug.

Levente

>
> Bill
>
>
>
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>>
>> Gratuitous default recipient...
>>
>> If there is a verbose dump option or other diagnostic efforts that will help, I will do my best to run them and report the results.  I am fairly certain the vm is 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.54]' (can verify later today), but this happened with an earlier Cog one-click too.  There is something about the machine (UUID again?) that is different.  I do not have root access to it, but I can get to a terminal.  Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> Where did you download the VM?
> Does it crash when you're trying to evaluate [UUID new]?
> Did you try gdb?
>
>
> Levente
>
>
>
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:42 AM
> To: [hidden email]; Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] [Vm-dev] FW:  Debugging Cog crash
>
> Dave,
>
> It was, I did :)  No help :(  What else can I try?
>
> Bill
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of David T. Lewis [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 10:32 AM
> To: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> Yes, the libuuid.so bug would be a likely suspect. If the UUIDPlugin was
> built as an external library, just delete it and you will probably be
> good to go.
>
> If you need further info, look here:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 07:58:39AM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>
>> If there is a verbose dump option or other diagnostic efforts that will help, I will do my best to run them and report the results.  I am fairly certain the vm is 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.54]' (can verify later today), but this happened with an earlier Cog one-click too.  There is something about the machine (UUID again?) that is different.  I do not have root access to it, but I can get to a terminal.  Ubuntu 10.10.
>>
>>
>> ________________________________________
>> From: Schwab,Wilhelm K
>> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 7:44 AM
>> To: Mariano Martinez Peck
>> Subject: RE: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash
>>
>> Mariano,
>>
>> I first identified this problem/opportunity a while ago.  At the time, there was no log - the vm just died.  I can sniff around again as there might be one this time.  My question at the time was whether there was something that I could enable to perhaps get more info.
>>
>> The output from the vm is, and I quote<g> "Segmentation fault".  There is no other output.  Perhaps it does not get far enough to have a call stack??
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>> From: Mariano Martinez Peck [[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 3:42 AM
>> To: Squeak Development Discussion Virtual Machine; Pharo Development
>> Cc: Schwab,Wilhelm K
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash
>>
>> also...shouldn't be a crash/dump file somewhere?
>>
>> can you write the output of the console where you invoke the VM into a file ?   (using > to redirect)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have an account on an Ubuntu terminal server (at least I think that's what it would be called) running 10.10.  The Cog one-click image crashes with "Segmentation fault" (if run from a terminal); the legacy VM seems to run the image nicely on the box.  Any ideas?  I will happily collect any facts that will be of help, but I need some
>> direction.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K

"You still didn't answer where you got the VM."

http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28439/Pharo-1.2.1-CogOneClick.zip

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:56 AM

Levente,

The image will not load at all.  It simply dies with "Segmentation fault" - NOTHING else happens.  gdb is maybe a possibility, but it is not an approach I ordinarily take, so some guidance would be helpful.

I have a reproducible crash, but poor access to the affected box.

Bill

>
>

Did you try gdb?

Levente

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:42 AM

Dave,

Bill

good to go.

Dave

>
>
>
>
>
> Mariano,
>
>
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> Hello all,
>
> direction.
>
> Bill
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi-2

>
>
> "You still didn't answer where you got the VM."
>
> http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/28439/Pharo-1.2.1-CogOneClick.zip

Well, the file OneClick.txt says the vm is "Linux Intel x86 4.0.3.2202".
But that's not true, because that's not a CogVM.

The UUIDPlugin seems to have the patch which avoids the crash, so it's
pretty unlikely that it's an issue with the UUIDPlugin. Even if the patch
is wrong (which is unlikely, because we're using Eliot's latest build on
64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 and it doesn't crash, but previous unpatched builds did
crash), it's pretty unlikely that the cause of the crash is the related to
UUIDPlugin at all, because UUIDs are normally not created during startup
and your image is crashing on startup.
To be 100% sure you can try deleting UUIDPlugin and see if your image
is crashing or not.
If it still crashes, then use gdb to see where it crashes. The VM seems to
be unstripped (8MB), so it should be easy to identify the cause of the
crash.

Levente

>
>
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Schwab,Wilhelm K [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:56 AM
>
> Levente,
>
> The image will not load at all.  It simply dies with "Segmentation fault" - NOTHING else happens.  gdb is maybe a possibility, but it is not an approach I ordinarily take, so some guidance would be helpful.
>
> I have a reproducible crash, but poor access to the affected box.
>
> Bill
>
>
>
> On Fri, 8 Apr 2011, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>>
>>
>
> Where did you download the VM?
> Does it crash when you're trying to evaluate [UUID new]?
> Did you try gdb?
>
>
> Levente
>
>
>
>
>
> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 11:42 AM
>
> Dave,
>
> It was, I did :)  No help :(  What else can I try?
>
> Bill
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of David T. Lewis [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 10:32 AM
> To: Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion
> Cc: [hidden email]
>
> Yes, the libuuid.so bug would be a likely suspect. If the UUIDPlugin was
> built as an external library, just delete it and you will probably be
> good to go.
>
> If you need further info, look here:
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7358
>
> Dave
>
> On Fri, Apr 08, 2011 at 07:58:39AM -0400, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> From: Schwab,Wilhelm K
>> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 7:44 AM
>> To: Mariano Martinez Peck
>> Subject: RE: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash
>>
>> Mariano,
>>
>> I first identified this problem/opportunity a while ago.  At the time, there was no log - the vm just died.  I can sniff around again as there might be one this time.  My question at the time was whether there was something that I could enable to perhaps get more info.
>>
>> The output from the vm is, and I quote<g> "Segmentation fault".  There is no other output.  Perhaps it does not get far enough to have a call stack??
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>> From: Mariano Martinez Peck [[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 3:42 AM
>> To: Squeak Development Discussion Virtual Machine; Pharo Development
>> Cc: Schwab,Wilhelm K
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash
>>
>> also...shouldn't be a crash/dump file somewhere?
>>
>> can you write the output of the console where you invoke the VM into a file ?   (using > to redirect)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Mariano
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have an account on an Ubuntu terminal server (at least I think that's what it would be called) running 10.10.  The Cog one-click image crashes with "Segmentation fault" (if run from a terminal); the legacy VM seems to run the image nicely on the box.  Any ideas?  I will happily collect any facts that will be of help, but I need some
>> direction.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K

Levente,

I follow on why my shell script did not work.  Your instructions got me going, but we still don't have an answer.  The vm is running, but I cannot attach:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2008-March/001840.html

>From what I read, one answer is the get the image loaded and then attach - my problem is that the vm never gets far enough to actually load the image.

Any ideas?

Bill

Reply | Threaded
|

Levente Uzonyi-2

>
> Levente,
>
> I follow on why my shell script did not work.  Your instructions got me going, but we still don't have an answer.  The vm is running, but I cannot attach:

Did you follow my instructions? If so, then you don't have to attach at
all, because you started the VM process from gdb, so gdb is attached to
the process already. Just do exactly what I wrote and you'll have what you
need.

If you need more help, then try the following links (first hits for
http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&q=how+to+use+gdb btw):
- http://www.unknownroad.com/rtfm/gdbtut/gdbuse.html
- http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~gilpin/tutorial/

Levente

>
>    http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2008-March/001840.html
>
>> From what I read, one answer is the get the image loaded and then attach - my problem is that the vm never gets far enough to actually load the image.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Bill
>
>
Reply | Threaded
|

Eliot Miranda-2

Hi Bill,

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 4:58 AM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

Gratuitous default recipient...

If there is a verbose dump option or other diagnostic efforts that will help, I will do my best to run them and report the results.  I am fairly certain the vm is 'Croquet Closure Cog VM [CoInterpreter VMMaker-oscog.54]' (can verify later today), but this happened with an earlier Cog one-click too.  There is something about the machine (UUID again?) that is different.  I do not have root access to it, but I can get to a terminal.  Ubuntu 10.10.

you could use the send tracing that's in the Cog VMs to see if it gets as far as running Smalltalk code, and if so, the last thing it manages to execute:

$ coglinux/squeak -sendtrace=9 all/Squeak/Squeak4.2/trunk4.2.image
SmalltalkImage class>current
[] in SmalltalkImage>send:toClassesNamedIn:with:
[] in SmalltalkImage>send:toClassesNamedIn:with:
SmalltalkImage>at:ifAbsent:
SystemDictionary(Dictionary)>at:ifAbsent:
SystemDictionary>scanFor:
ByteSymbol(String)>hash
ByteString class(ProtoObject)>identityHash
ByteSymbol class>stringHash:initialHash:
ByteString class>stringHash:initialHash:
Array(Object)>at:
Association(LookupKey)>key
Array(Object)>at:
Association(LookupKey)>key
Array(ArrayedCollection)>size
SmallInteger>\\ 

Alas there is the possibility of heisenbugs here since adding tracing changes the code that the VM generates and hence changes the frequencies of code compactions.  But it may be of use.  Also, sorry about the -sendtrace=9.  It should of course default to the right magic value, so one would need only to say "coglinux/squeak -sendtrace all/Squeak/Squeak4.2/trunk4.2.image".  I'll add this to the list...

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 7:44 AM
To: Mariano Martinez Peck
Subject: RE: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash

Mariano,

I first identified this problem/opportunity a while ago.  At the time, there was no log - the vm just died.  I can sniff around again as there might be one this time.  My question at the time was whether there was something that I could enable to perhaps get more info.

The output from the vm is, and I quote<g> "Segmentation fault".  There is no other output.  Perhaps it does not get far enough to have a call stack??

Bill

Sent: Friday, April 08, 2011 3:42 AM
To: Squeak Development Discussion Virtual Machine; Pharo Development
Cc: Schwab,Wilhelm K
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] Debugging Cog crash

can you write the output of the console where you invoke the VM into a file ?   (using > to redirect)

Cheers

Mariano

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
Hello all,

direction.

Bill

--
Mariano