Re: [Pharo-project] Loading platform-specific code

Re: [Pharo-project] Loading platform-specific code

Mariano Martinez Peck
Sean, I didn't read all the thread, but did you know that Metacello let you handle platform specific code?
Thus, you can define this in the ConfigurationOFfExternalWebBrowser, and not depend on a class side initialize.

cheers

mariano

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 9:14 AM, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 09.08.2010, at 20:48, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>> The initialization of ExternalWebBrowser does a Smalltalk
>> addToStartUpList: self.
>>

> Ha ha, I didn't know about startUp.  I thought "why the heck is it called
> startUp"... and changed it to initializeMe!
>
> Playing with the image, and thanks to your comment, I just got an
> interesting education on registering for startup and shutdown - thanks!
>
> I'm adding some info to SmalltalkImage's class comment and writing up some
> sample code.
>
> So now the question is: is it better to lazily load external projects
> required for other platforms, or load them all when you (most probably) have
> an internet connection?

I think I don't fully understand what you mean with "lazily load" and "required for other platforms". But if it is just a choice when to load something then I would do while having a internet connection ;)

Norbert

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:03 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> ...did you know that Metacello let you
> handle platform specific code?

I'm assuming you mean [Squeak|Pharo...] platform - we're talking
[Mac|Windows...]

ahhh sorry....and what about conditional loading? and using spec:for or something like that?

once I suggested Dale to add OS dependency to Metacello...I don't rememeber what happened.

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> Thus, you can define this in the ConfigurationOFfExternalWebBrowser, and
> not
> depend on a class side initialize.

Yes, it all started when I decided to move the load out of the
class>>initialization and into the Config, and I just wanted to poll to see
if my thinking was correct.

Norbert Hartl wrote:

> I think I don't fully understand what you mean with "lazily load" and
> "required for other platforms". But if it is just a choice when to load
> something then I would do while having a internet connection ;)

Yes, that is the choice, and that answers the question.  Thanks.

Sean

Re: [Pharo-project] Loading platform-specific code

Dale Henrichs
Let's talk about OS dependency at ESUG...

Dale

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:
Let's talk about OS dependency at ESUG...

we should write our to-talk list hahahah

Dale

   Norbert Hartl wrote:

    > I think I don't fully understand what you mean with "lazily load" and
    > "required for other platforms". But if it is just a choice when
   to load
    > something then I would do while having a internet connection ;)

   Yes, that is the choice, and that answers the question.  Thanks.

   Sean
   <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: [Pharo-project] Loading platform-specific code

Dale Henrichs
Yes it's getting to be about that time:)

Dale