Re: [Pharo-project] squeak VM 5.0

1 message Options

Re: [Pharo-project] squeak VM 5.0

David T. Lewis

Hi,

(cc to vm-dev list)

The 64-bit image that I provided is a direct descendent of the original
one that was produced by Dan and Ian.

Original 64-bit image:
  http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/Squeak64-3.8g-6548.image.tar.gz

My update:
  http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/sq64-dtl.zip

The original one was produced with a specialized system tracer, the code
for which is here:
  http://squeakvm.org/squeak64/dist3/ChangeSets/System-Tracing.2.cs

I did *not* use the system tracer to produce the updated image. Instead,
it is the original image with various updates that I made over the years to
keep up with VM developments (which were not entirely backward compatible).
The original image will not run on a current VM, and that is the reason
that I posted my update.

The system tracer (including the specialized 64-bit one) does not work
on little-endian machines. Somebody (tm) should fix this one of these
days. There are a couple of Mantis reports related to this:
  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5240
  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=5239

As far as producing a 64-bit Pharo image, I think there are two things
that could be tried:

1) Fix the system tracer to work on little-endian boxes (probably
not too difficult), then try tracing some Pharo and Squeak images
into 64-bit format.

2) Find somebody who has a big-endian Mac available, and have them
try tracing some images.

I can think of no reason why the newer images with closure support
could not be traced into 64-bit formats, but I guess the only way to
find out is to try it and see what happens.

Dave