Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: [Smalltalk for small projects only?

Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: [Smalltalk for small projects only?

Dale Henrichs
I haven't completely grokked the entire FSGit experience, however the piece that has intrigued me with the filetree repository that Otto has done is the fusion between monticello and "git" (technically filetree doesn't depend upon git, it just stores monticello package information in a structured directory tree). So filetree can be used as the basis for integrating any file-based SCM into Smalltalk...personally I will focus on git...

Basically, I have taken myself up on the challenge to provide a git workflow experience for Smalltalk:) and my approach is to create a fusion of Monticello, Metacello, and git...

For an alternate SCM to get traction within the community, I think that there needs to be easy migration between this alternate approach and Monticello and for me filetree was the missing piece ...

If you want to see what I am currently up to, take a look at the metacello project on github[1]. Take a look at the network view[2] of the project. I've pushed the Metacello code for 1.0-beta.31[6] (the latest release) into the repository using filetree[3], essentially a fork of Otto's smallsource project[4]. I've also pushed the code for my current work-in-progress for 1.0-beta.32[5]. Finally I created the MetacelloGitProject[7] branch for the project, where I have started doing development (one must eat their own dog food!) using github as the sole repository for my code (other than local clones on my work desktop machine and my home laptop). You can look at one of my commits[8] from last night where you can see a nice difference view that actually involves changes to 4 monticello packages ...

I do a fair amount of the actual loading manually as I'm still trying to get a feel for using git in development...FSGit looks very interesting as well, if we are going to use git, then having a Smalltalk interface to git is a requirement ... filetree is SCM neutral, but I am building an extension of filetree that is aimed at git (in git, the repository is versioned not the individual files, so it is an interesting challenge to integrate into Monticello).

I am very encouraged that the fusion of Monticello, Metacello and git is coming together pretty nicely (i.e., without tons of work)...this is very early work, so I don't recommend anyone actually try to use the project (it is only 2 days old:) as there is a fair amount of hand holding that I have to do right now ...

However, if you are interested in contributing then I encourage you to fork the metacello project on github[1] and get busy. I will report progress and solicit feedback in general on the metacello mailing list[9], but if there is interest in collaborating we'll just use github for the nitty gritty communication.

Dale

[1] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello
[2] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello/network
[3] https://github.com/dalehenrich/filetree
[4] https://github.com/finworks/smallsource
[5] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello/tree/1.0-beta.32
[6] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello/tree/1.0-beta.31
[7] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello/tree/MetacelloGitProject
[8] https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello/commit/b79df4a2cd63200a8a1712fe629dbcc8c6d0a3a7
[9] http://groups.google.com/group/metacello

Re: [Pharo-project] [squeak-dev] Re: [Smalltalk for small projects only?

Dale Henrichs
Getting deeper in FSGit and it looks like it has a Monticello mapping ... now to work:)

Dale