Re: [Pharo-users] Ffi in Pharo 1.1

1 message Options

Re: [Pharo-users] Ffi in Pharo 1.1

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 9:18 PM, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the reply Mariano,

2010/9/20 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 6:08 PM, Hernán Morales Durand
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Mariano,
>>
>> One thing I don't understand of Metacello is why don't you use
>> #latestVersion (or #latestReleaseVersion, #latestDevelopementVersion,
>> etc) instead of specifying the version number (e.g. '1.3'). How do you
>> keep updated about the latest version numbers?
>
> This is an excellent question :)
>
> In summary, there is a current problem with Metacello and Pharo: a user of a
> project doesn't know which is the stable version for a pharo specifc
> version. For example, in this case suppose FFI 1.1 is the stable for Pharo
> 1.0 and FFI 1.3 for Pharo 1.1. How can the user know that? there is no easy
> solution.  This is why Dale, me, stef, marcus, esteban, etc, have been
> discussed last week in ESUG. I will then send a summary about the possible
> solution.

Do I need to know the version numbers?

Depends on your needs. If you want to be able to recreate/reproduce it, then yes (at least right now).

As an user I don't want to know the version number until extremely
necessary, i.e. I'm not switching everyday from 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 then
back to 1.1, etc. Eventually I try newer versions of Pharo to see what
I'm missing, and I choose to update acoordingly to the stability of
the whole set of packages concerning my application. It's not like I
evaluate the same "install base packages" script I've evaluated 6
months ago :)

Ok, that's your use-case. OThers need exactly that :)

By the way if you want to support internally the package status you
may try the Specifications pattern?

> Anyway, if I use latestVersion, I am not sure you will load that again.

I'm sure I will never load it again. Got it? :)

yes. That's a use-case. Fortunatly Metacello is flexible enough to support both.

Anyway, did you read my email about stable versions?  I think that will clarify everything....since we will be able to use #stableVersion.

Cheers

Mariano