Re: [Pharo-users] Oneiric gone bad

1 message Options

Re: [Pharo-users] Oneiric gone bad

Igor Stasenko

On 26 October 2011 00:16, Jeff Gray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just updated Ubuntu and now Pharo doesn't run.
> I have been working ok under Oneiric but then after getting the latest
> update Pharo no longer runs.
> If I drop into the terminal and try to fire up the VM I get the following:
>
> jeff@Roger:/usr/local/lib/cogvm$ ./squeakvm
> could not find display driver vm-display-X11; either:
>  - check that /usr/local/lib/cogvm//vm-display-X11.so exists, or
>  - use the '-plugins <path>' option to tell me where it is, or
>  - remove DISPLAY from your environment.
> Aborted

This error message is misleading and should be fixed.
The driver vm-display-X11 is a dynamic library, which is shipped by
default with VM,
there is _no way_ how VM could not find it.
The problem is that this library depending on another libraries in
system which could be missing,
and because of that, when VM attempts to load it, OS reports an error,
and then VM says that its unable to find the driver,
while actually it is unable to load it.

> Any ideas?

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.