Re: Pharocast ContactManager using SandstoneDb

Re: Pharocast ContactManager using SandstoneDb

laurent laffont
On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM, Doug Edmunds <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I took the ContactManager code from your Pharocast at
http://www.pharocasts.com/2011/02/pharo-gui-with-polymorph.html
and modified it to run with SandstoneDb, using the ideas from
http://www.pharocasts.com/2010/04/sandstonedb-simple-activerecord-style.html

Go ahead and use it for a future Pharocast if you want, or figure out
some place to put it.

Because Contact is an SDActiveRecord, the database is constructed from
the SandstoneDb records:

Contacts class >>database
       |db|
       db := Contact findAll asOrderedCollection.
       ^ db

and so it is portable, so long as the Contacts records are put in the
correctly named Pharo subdirectory.

Opening the ContactListEditor uses an initialization which is supposed
to avoid the need to close/reopen Pharo after creating the Contacts class.

Tested on Pharo 1.3 using SandstoneDb-RamonLeon.135.mcz

Thanks a lot Doug.

May be the next step would be to create a ConfigurationOfContactManager :)

Laurent

-- Doug Edmunds

Re: Pharocast ContactManager using SandstoneDb

Jeff Gray
Kind of on topic as you're talking about sandstone....Since all records are loaded at start up, is there an advantage of using sandstonedb for persistence over just saving the image?

Re: Pharocast ContactManager using SandstoneDb

Miguel Cobá
The difference is that saving the whole image is a longer operation that
just saving a couple records when they are directed to do so. In a image
with little activity this difference can be almost null but in a heavy
accessed image with a lot of data being created, the difference in times
is notorious.
Also, the image save is blocking AFAIK and during image saving the
responsiveness is greatly diminished.

Cheers

El mié, 04-05-2011 a las 04:36 -0700, Jeff Gray escribió:
> Kind of on topic as you're talking about sandstone....Since all records are
> loaded at start up, is there an advantage of using sandstonedb for
> persistence over just saving the image?

Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: Pharocast ContactManager using SandstoneDb

Bernat Romagosa
Also, images can get corrupted, crash, etc.