Re: Problem with this list (Here I go again :p)

Re: Problem with this list (Here I go again :p)

Josh McFarlane
On 4/25/06, nick hemsley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is there any good technical reason to be doing this?

Well, certian lists are set up as one way communication. The list
owner posts update and other notes to the list so everyone can view
them. If people have questions, they contact the author rather than
the list serve (as they do not have posting rights).

However, on discussion lists like this I don't really see the reason
to have default reply-to be the author itself. If anything, it
degrades the purpose of the server by making mroe information go
between two people rather than the entire list.

--
Josh McFarlane

"Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding."
-Albert Einstein

Re: Problem with this list (Here I go again :p)

Bert Freudenberg-3
Am 25.04.2006 um 07:56 schrieb nick hemsley:

> Is there any good technical reason to be doing this?

- Bert -

Re: Problem with this list (Here I go again :p)

Howard Stearns
Anyone here ever work at a university? ;-)

The University of Wisconsin has a mail server that is supported for groups involving campus community members. That's what we're using.
It has been set up to not munge reply-to.  The reasons for this may well be as described in http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
 (thanks for the link, Bert), but regardless, that's the way it is.

Howard Stearns

Croquet Lead Developer, http://croquetproject.org

DoIT Academic Technology, http://www.wisc.edu/academictech

University of Wisconsin-Madison, 1301 University Avenue, Madison, WI  53715

 +1-608-262-3724

On Apr 25, 2006, at 12:56 AM, nick hemsley wrote:

Is there any good technical reason to be doing this?

I always reply straight to the person & then have to go back to cc the list. & reply-all means the person you are emailing gets two copies. I also notice there are some fragmented conversations (because of ppl replying straight back to the person).

Im sure there  is a good reason, but if there's not, it kind of bites at times... 0.02 of course

Congratulations & thanks for hedgehog

Nick

On 4/25/06, Brad Fuller <[hidden email]> wrote:
S Collingwood wrote:

> I wrote a response to Giulio's last  post, but as far as I can see,
> he's the only one who got it.
>
> If you check the address line when you respond, you'll see that it is
> not sent to the list as a whole, it merely responds to the individual
> e-mail.
>
> I have written the listowner about this, but in the meantime, we can
> just cut-and-paste the address--I think that should work.
>
> [hidden email]

I believe this list is set up that way on purpose. You have to reply all
to reply to croquet-user.

Re: Problem with this list (Here I go again :p)

nick hemsley
aah, university. say no more.

Perhaps a greasemonkey script for gmail is my answer.

It has been set up to not munge reply-to.  The reasons for this may well be as described in  <a href="http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Croquet Lead Developer, <a href="http://croquetproject.org" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://croquetproject.org

DoIT Academic Technology, <a href="http://www.wisc.edu/academictech" target="_blank" onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)">http://www.wisc.edu/academictech